NEW! Google Custom Search

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by De...

Jen_M.'s picture

I brought this up under some vegetarian discussion. I love every recipe I've tried, but it's such a huge book that I'd love to hear what everyone else liked. One surprise hit for me was the kichiri, an Indian rice and split pea pilaf sort of thing. I made it with chana dal, an Indian split pea. It is amazingly yummy, especially with the onion relish.

CLS's picture

I've looked at this book several times and been tempted to buy it but never did. Maybe I'll have to add it to my collection. I have a very dear friend who's a vegetarian and I'm always looking for new things to feed her.

MEAN_CHEF's picture

I have the book - boring.

Glenys_'s picture

I loved
b Greens, Savory Way, Field of Greens
(I know it's not Deborah's but...) but I think the problem for many with VCE, is that it doesn't help put vegetable dishes on the table. That may sound odd, but what appeals as a side dish and what takes centre stage as a vegetarian main are based on a different focus. I do love her vegetable ragouts and Mexican inspired soups, her use of toasted spice mixtures etc.

Marie-Louise_'s picture

I love this book. I've never made a recipe that I didn't like. I like Chez Panisse Vegetables better.

Glenys_'s picture

Well there's the nurturing spirit and root (no pun intended) of great flavour in this book, but I agree, it misses the mark for most.

James's picture

MC,what do you find boring about it? I have found some of the more flavorful dishes I have made in it ( I am partial to Asian flavors).
True and good flavors have become much more important to me since I have come to know Bill W.

James

MEAN_CHEF's picture

I didn't mean to imply that the recipes were bad. Some are actually quite good.

The book itself is boring to read.

kai_'s picture

i The book itself is boring to read.

This is important to me because I actually have more time to read than to cook, so I read cookbooks partly for pleasure, and partly for instructions or ingredient ideas.

Having input from pros like you is SO helpful. Thanks, pussycat :-)

Marie-Louise_'s picture

i The book itself is boring to read.
You're right about that.

Amy_W.'s picture

Jen...

I just bought this cookbook but can't seem to find the recipe you referred to here:

i One surprise hit for me was the kichiri, an Indian rice and split pea pilaf sort of thing.

What page is this on, please?