NEW! Google Custom Search

The Olives Table - Todd English

Wolverine's picture

This is a stand out book, no question. Good instructions for those that need it, some nice stories of his career, and classic but slightly different interpretation recipes. I've never had a failure from this one, either.

Glenys_'s picture

Excellent choice. He's really built himself a tidy little empire now.
He has the knack for honouring tradition and putting some twists in the mix. His use of spices is deft and interesting..

MadMom_'s picture

Saw this one at Half Price Books a few months ago and considered buying it, but didn't. Now I'll have to go see if it's still there.

Wolverine's picture

you will really enjoy it, MM - great stuff!

SallyBR's picture

I got it!

GREAT BOOK! I am looking forward to making something from it - everything seems delicious... my first choice will probably be the "black bottom creme brulle"  - it has a layer of chocolate sauce under the creme brulle, as a little surprise waiting for you....

The banana tiramisu comes a close second in the salivating level

Madmom, you NEED THE BOOK. YOU NEED THE BOOK... You need it... .

Adele's picture

Let me know how you like this, I think this is the one my new brownie favorite came from, but I want to say it had the word 'desserts' in it.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

MadMom's picture

Need it, hell...I think I have it!  Just haven't ever used it, but I'm heading for that black bottom creme brulee recipe as soon as I lose half a Sally - damn, you are hard to get rid of!  LOL

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

Wolvie's picture

You bought the "Olives Dessert Table" cookbook - same restaurant, just a different book. I do highly recommend the Olives cookbook as well. Very good.

At any rate, the brulee is TDF, and that banana tiramisu is too. In fact, this is my fav "dessert" book - something for everyone, and you can just make parts, you don't have to go over the top. Her ratios are dead on - which to me produces a dessert that isn't super sweet - you can actually taste the dessert, rather than the sugar.

Have fun! :-)

"We fed the heart on fantasy...the heart grew brutal on the fare" WB Yeats

meljanbil's picture

I just bought the dessert book on Amazon for $2.98.  I paid $5.00 for shipping, but it still seemed a good deal.  Book was listed as in "like new condition".  Hopefully it's as good a deal as I think it is.

Adele's picture

Thanks for the info.  I really want the book too, I think I'll add it the next time I order something, hopefully a Friday sale will have a food saver soon.

Wolvie's picture

hey - just about any cookbook for 7 bucks is a good deal - certainly applies to one that a lot of folks like. :-)

"We fed the heart on fantasy...the heart grew brutal on the fare" WB Yeats

Aberwacky's picture

A vote of confidence: I've bought lots of books from their used section, and by and large have been very happy with them.  I always look there first when I'm searching for a particular book.  A few times I've had the seller run out of stock, but then I decided I didn't really need that book, anyway!

Leigh

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
StevenHB's picture

Many restauranteurs publish cookbooks featuring recipes from their restaurants. I have a fair number of these books.

This is the *only* such book that I return to, repeatedly. I've made the goat cheese and sausage stuffed olives, the Falling Chocolate Cake (many times), the Fennel Salad, the Tuna Tartare, and probably a good number of other recipes. The outcomes are consistently excellent.

I've also eaten at Olives a fair number of times, so I'm confident that I'm capturing the essence of Todd's cooking.

This is a high-quality hardcover book with high-quality paper, meaning that it should survive in the kitchen for a good long time (however, I have broken the binding from overuse). The recipes are well-laid-out on the pages and easy to refer to while you're cooking (a stark contrast from my "old" Joy of Cooking - which I love but does have a shortcoming in this area).

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible
Debby's picture

That creme brulee IS fabulous!!  My daughter's boyfriend loves chocolate; had never tried a creme brulee--poor fellow could barely resist licking out his ramekin!!

I love Todd English's books!!  and it's so easy to just use even one of the components of a recipe idea...You'll really enjoy your book...

Debby