NEW! Google Custom Search

Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni

CLS's picture

IMHO, this is the best Indian cookbook around. I simply love it. I haven't made anything I haven't liked yet, and her instructions are very simple and easy to follow. If you want to get an Indian cookbook, this is it.

CLS's picture

Some of my favorites from this book:

Lamb in Fragrant Garlic Cream Sauce
All of the Dahls
Glazed Cauliflower with Ginger (if you think you don't like cauliflower, try this - you will become a fan)
Fragrant buttered Greens (fantastic!)
Sweet Saffron Pilaf (oh, just try all the pilafs! so good)
Poori

One of the best things about her recipes is that they can all be prepared in advance to a great degree. The lamb is even better if made several days before and refrigerated. That's what I do. The flavor is much better that way.

Jen_M.'s picture

Thanks for the recommendations! From this book, I also like the cauliflower with peas and potatoes, and the velvet butter chicken. Have you tried any of her other cookbooks?

Glenys_'s picture

It's held its place as number one for me as well. I have other Indian books (Indian and British publications) but they don't have the balance of selection or the technique for our kitchens.

Jean_'s picture

Well, you have convinced me, and I've found a used copy for $12.50 + S&H. :)

CLS's picture

Jean, if all you ever do is make the Lamb in Fragrant Garlic Cream Sauce, you will pay for the book 10 times over. Let me know if you need help getting any of the spices she calls for. I can pick them up for you and ship them out. You are going to LOVE the flavors of her dishes!

Jean_'s picture

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, but it's time for me to send in an order to Penzey's. This will be an entirely new experience for me. My DD's niece on her hubby's side spent a year or more as a type of RA at a girl's school in India a few years ago. She came home with some spice mixes (pre-packaged) that she used for chicken that were soooo HOT and soooo GOOD! I've been curious about the spices ever since.

CLS's picture

They use a lot of spice mixes, and Julie gives you the formulas for them. You will always toast the spices first (which I love! The smell is terrific!) and the grind them, so invest in a small, inexpensive spice/coffee grinder. I love cooking Indian food. Lots of fun, and so delicious.