NEW! Google Custom Search

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

FlavourGirl_'s picture

...by Marcella Hazan. I use this all of the time. It is the first cookbook I pick up when I want to make something new.

FlavourGirl_'s picture

Some of my favorites are:

*Veal Scaloppine with Tomato, Oregano, and Capers; pg 364 (I double the sauce amounts)
*Pork Sausages with Black-Eyed Peas and Tomatoes; pg. 430
*Garlic Scented Tomato Salad; pg. 548
*Chicken Fricassee with Porcini Mushrooms, White Wine and Tomatoes; pg. 332
*Roast Chicken with Lemons; pg. 327
*Chicken Fricassee with Red Cabbage; pg. 333

CLS's picture

I second this. If you can only have one Italian cookbook, this should be it. I love this book.

Glenys_'s picture

Did she incorporate the original
b Classic Italian Cooking
into this book or do they stand alone?

FlavourGirl_'s picture

Yes, she included two previous books, this is what the intro says:

"Those who are acquainted with
i The Classic Italian Cook Book
and
i More Classic Italian Cooking
may well wonder what those recipes are doing here, between a single pair of covers. I, for one, never imagined that some day my first two books would be reincarnated as one."

She does go on to say that, "It didn't appear to be much of an undertaking, just a little bit of housecleaning, but here we are three years later, with nearly every recipe completely rewritten, and many so substantially revised that they could well be considered new." And she continues in the next paragraph, "Perhaps without my always being fully conscious of it, the dishes continued to evolve, moving always toward a simpler, clearer expression of their primary flavors, and toward a steadily diminishing dependence on cooking fat."

It sounds like she really tweaked the recipes from the first two books. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know about the book, Glenys.

Glenys_'s picture

Thanks FG! The first time I cooked with Marcella in Florence was from the first book, and I still stick by
i her
rules. I gave the second book away to a friend, so maybe it's time for a review!

lotstolearn's picture

Oh, I'm so jealous! You've cooked with her??

I'm way outta my league here!

I love her book. Does anyone have opinions on her son's works?

When life gives you lemons, eat your own weight in chocolate!

When life gives you lemons, eat your own weight in chocolate!

MadMom's picture

Glenys has cooked with everyone!  Ask her about Jacques Pepin!

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

Fledge's picture

Glenys,

Do you think it's cute when he pronounces "Vanilla"?

Both Jacques', I always get a kick out that......................Vuh-neeeeee-uh.

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey