NEW! Google Custom Search

Back to the Table, Art Smith

angelina_cookalina's picture

I received Back to the Table by Art Smith for Christmas.

At first glance, definitely not my style-nothing in it immediately peaks my interest.

Can someone tell me whether the recipes are worth trying?

MadMom_'s picture

Wish I could help you...but I've never seen the book. Sorry.

Jean_'s picture

Not I.

MEAN_CHEF's picture

Maybe you should put it with the cookie press.

angelina_cookalina's picture

Mean,
Re: Cookie Press
I think I discovered something Christmas cookies- they almost always look better than they taste. YWR.

Jean/MM,
Thanks for responding. I thought for sure one of your guys would have heard of it, if not had some first hand experience with it. My MIL got if for me at Costco- and they usually only carry the most popular books. I believe the author, Art Smith, is Oprah's personal chef. Natalie Dupree, Charlie Trotter and Marion Cunningham are quoted on the back of the book. The thing is that I'm not a big Southern food/Comfort food person, and I don't want to delve into these recipes unless they are really good ones.

MadMom_'s picture

angelina...I'm a big reader of cookbooks. Only advice I would give is to read through, and if you find a recipe that sounds good, give it a go.

Chiffonade_'s picture

This is the guy now cooking for Oprah. He's extremely personable, but I don't know much about his cooking style.

Ang, make something and tell
b us
if it's worth looking into :)

Anu's picture

Does anyone have any opinions on this cookbook?  I got it out of the library for a looksee :-)

SallyBR's picture

yeah, next to the cookie press and the boiled egg slicer.....

kai230's picture

Why is the first post in 2002 and the first response in 2001?

SallyBR's picture

There are a lot of psychics among us, you know...

kai230's picture

LOL I think it must be that on 3/11/2002 they switched to despairo.

Gretchen's picture

He's getting a lot of "play" recently--was on Oprah's show and then I saw  him on Sarah Moulton's show.  She kept having to prompt him on the recipe they were preparing.  He seems nice enough.  I think there might be a lot of other better southern cookbooks.  We've been talking about Edna Lewis/Scott #### book A Gift of Southern Cooking.  Louis Osteen's Charleston cookbook is good.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Anu's picture

Hi Gretchen, thanks for the reply.  I did take a look at Edna Lewis but the lard thing did freak me out a bit.

Gretchen's picture

It's only a recommendation--you can use other things. Actually if I recall the recipe for pie pastry uses butter.

Gretchen

Gretchen