NEW! Google Custom Search

Tauntonfest preferences

CookiM0nster's picture

It seems like we have two separate sets of ideas as to how to organize this fest. There are those who don't want anything to do with NYC, but are interested in hanging out in more bucolic settings, perhaps taking a cooking class, and skipping the fine dining experience. There are others who would rather see the City, skip any classes, and have some time on the town. In order to put this event together it's important to know how many people are interested in dong what.

So, please, if you're interested in attending, state your preferences.

One issue is where we would all stay. Personally I don't have a problem with NYC, as I think we should be able to come up with reasonably discount rates through Priceline and such. On the other hand, I also know that there are those who really, really don't want to stay there. Looking at the map, New Haven might be a reasonable alternative - close enough to Newtown for a day trip, yet on the Metro North line to NYC, and large enough to have a few decent sites and dining destinations.

CookiM0nster's picture

"Having lived there, I know what I am talking about. I just think that there needs to be some realism. I know you country folk think all of this is no big deal, but believe me it is."

Pardon me, but this I was born and raised in Manhattan. And since, as I mentioned before, my father lives on a Metro North line, I really, really, truly, and honestly, do know what it takes to get on the train to Connecticut. The trip to Danbury takes a while, but it is by no stretch of the imagination logistically difficult. Not even a tiny bit.

Edited 3/14/2006 4:26 pm by CookiM0nster

MEANCHEF's picture

And who will pick up the 15 - 20 people at the train station.  Maybe the Goddess will send a limo for us. LOL.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket.  I just want everyone to be realistic.

Consider that if you arrive on Thursday, you will pay NYC hotel rates that night and if we go to CT all of Friday, you will pay NYC hotel rates for Friday too.

I realize it can be done, but I am trying to make everyone understand what it will take to do it. 

Nothing is impossible.  It just takes money and someone to organize it.

Edited 3/14/2006 4:31 pm by MEANCHEF

Edited 3/14/2006 4:45 pm by MEANCHEF

CookiM0nster's picture

How about taxis?

Perhaps your concern about "realism" is slightly misplaced?

Edited 3/14/2006 4:37 pm by CookiM0nster

shywoodlandcreature's picture

Just a modest suggestion: why don't we plan on a CT-fest, and those of us who want to can organize ####trip to NYC, perhaps either as a prelude to the main fest, or as a wrap-up event. I agree with Bob that one day in the Big Apple is just about enough time to do one (or at most two) major galleries or a gallery and theatre. Those of us who really want to go to NYC can perhaps either arrive a day early or stay a day longer. Perhaps we should start two new threads - one for the CT-fest, and the other for the NYC contingent.

<edited to add,I have no idea what got censored -- honest! Also I wanted to add that I agree with you that going our own ways during the day in DC seemed to work very well, at least in my experience).

"I'm game", said the lawyer to the vice president.

Edited 3/14/2006 4:48 pm by shywoodlandcreature

CookiM0nster's picture

That's exactly waht I was trying to figure out when I started this thread - who wants to stay where - so we could figure out what the majority opinion was.

I know I sound like I've been pulling for staying in NYC, but actually I don't have that strong an opinion. What I've been trying to do is give realistic answers to the questions and objections that have been posed about it.

One thing to consider if not staying in NY, is that dinner there or a show (unless it's a matinee) will mean schlepping yourself onto the train and arriving back in whatever place we're all staying very, very late. If we do stay somewhere in CT, taking an extra day outside the fest to spend on the town, as you suggest, is probably a better option.

So far there seem to be a lot of people in favor of staying in NY, in fact a lot more than I though, and just a couple who don't. If there are more who don't, we need to hear from you!

MadMom's picture

Just to play devil's advocate, why on earth couldn't the 10-15 people who go to Connecticut take a taxi to Taunton?  Geesh, I've never lived in NYC, but it doesn't seem that complicated.  Maybe Mean just wants to revisit his roots in Joisey.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

MEANCHEF's picture

You certainly could for a few hundred dollars

CookiM0nster's picture

"You certainly could for a few hundred dollars"

It's a 15 minute drive from Danbury to Newtown. I know taxi's aren't cheap, but I don't think they cost that much!

I'm torn (though very gently!) - I'd love a NYC trip, but I would also love to see some of the countryside, particularly as October should be prime colour season. So what it boils down to is that I'm game for whatever works best for the majority. If we do opt for a NYC fest, then we should start brainstorming accommodations and events.

pamilyn's picture

I don't want to stay in NY. We were just there and spent a butt load of money. I am of the bucolic folk. We will also have a car and there is no way we are taking a car into NY.

This doesn't seem that hard to figure out. We were going to do a taunton fest. We do a taunton fest and eveyone who wants to go to NYC can do so before or after said fest.

I don't mean to sound cranky. Really, Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

Adele's picture

Ummmm, it was Tauntonfest until your post above, then it went to seashores and such.  LOL

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

pamilyn's picture

That was just to get it closer to NYC for those who wanted to take the train into the city.

CookiM0nster's picture

I thought it was because Taunton had no intention of entertaining us for the weekend and there's nothing to do in the area.

Right, if it's going to be in Connecticut then I'll leave the planning to you.

Edited because I sounded to snarky. Sorry about that. Trying to organize stuff like this is pretty frustrating.

Edited 3/15/2006 4:53 pm by CookiM0nster

pamilyn's picture

I will do some research tonight. Are you sure you want to wash your hands of all this fun planning?  :)   LOL  Pamilyn

CookiM0nster's picture

Well if we were still considering NYC I'd be happy to do it, but I really don't know CT well enough to be of much help there, and since a couple of the people who don't want to go to NYC seem to really, really not want to go there, I guess by default we'll all be staying in CT.

NanaC's picture

If we're staying in CT we'll be driving down, so we'd have our car too.  And we'd be happy to ferry folks to their train to NYC, and/or pick them up from the train after NYC.

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

MEANCHEF's picture

My censored word was clusterfu-k

Thank you for sharing!

MEANCHEF's picture

You are very welcome

LOL!

TracyK's picture

There's really no need to pay for taxis in NY anyway, as the subway is cheap and convenient.

Anyway... my goal for CT Fests is to enjoy the company of fabulous people while we dine on fabulous food... not necessarily in that order, LOL. Edited to add: I think of them more as Food Destinations first, as in, "Let's pick a fabulous food destination, and all find some way to manage to get there and pay for it, because it's really cool to enjoy a truly fine restaurant in the company of like-minded others."

Why is it so cold on this beach? And what's taking the bartender so long?

Edited 3/15/2006 5:37 pm ET by TracyK

pamilyn's picture

I did VERY preliminary hunting. There is a place called the Harbor House Inn in Old Greenwich Ct. It is one mile to the train station to New York. A 45 minute train ride. Ten minutes to Stamford which is about 200K people. She said they have some very high end restaurants. Will have to do some research on that one. The beach is a block away.

Rooms around $150.00 but there are some cheaper motels and hotels nearby.

Old Greenwich has lots of shops I guess. More research.

Just a thought. I will just keep throwing ideas out there. Please give me some feedback. Thanks, Pamilyn

TracyK's picture

I have to say, so far the approach to this Fest just invites chaos, LOL. This whole thing seems really fractured to me.  And-- $150 a night??? I've gotten rooms in Manhattan for less than half that, easy.

Don't listen to me much, though, as I don't think I can afford to travel any more this year so will likely not be in attendance anyway.

Edited 3/15/2006 6:11 pm ET by TracyK

Glenys's picture

That's ridiculous! How can you be in DC and not come to NYC?

TracyK's picture

Honestly, I have just returned from a lovely vacation and am seriously looking into buying a home this year, so my travel/food/entertainment budget is VERY limited and only going to get more so...

... but we'll see. :-)

MarineEngineer's picture

you are aware of the cheapo buses b/w NY and DC? I've used it, quite nice, actually, and an incredible value.

Marine Engineer

ashleyd's picture

You are so right. CT Fests (as generally experienced) take several things, in no particular order:

1. Good eating (of both the high end and hole-in-the-wall varieties)

2. Lots of things to see and do (choice is good, not everybody wants to do the same thing)

3. Decent transport. Moving around 20 or so people with different schedules and priorities is, as Bob said, like herding cats.

4. Good, but reasonably priced hotels, and we're talking $100/room tops.

5. Focus. There has to be a focal point on which to hang the other activities.

6. Organisation. It looks easy. It isn't.

From where I'm sat, attractive though the idea is, a visit to Taunton may just prove to be a little disappointing, doesn't tick off enough of the above points.

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

CookiM0nster's picture

Thank you Ashley, and Tracy.

It's funny. When I started working on this I didn't care much where we stayed, but the more I tried to work out the logistics, the more I convinced myself that Connecticut does not make a good fest destination, for all the reasons these two have given (and given that Taunton will just be an afternoon visit). I do still maintain that getting us all there from NY for an afternoon, however, is completely doable.

MEANCHEF's picture

You are absolutely spot on.  Unfortunately Ct is not much of a "destination" except for the visit to the headquarters of the Goddess. Otherwise we wouldn't even be considering it.  If there is nothing there but a small office and a dinky kitchen, why do we want to be in Ct in the first place?

$150 a night in podunk Ct is way too steep.

So far, I agree with Tracy - this is still a clusterfu-k, but it is too early to tell if it can be resolved.

I don't know how to solve the "I want to be in NYC" and "I don't want to be in NYC" dilema.

Someone needs to step up to herd the cats - That person needs a thick skin and brass balls.

At this point I am inclined to think that NYC should be the destination - let the Goddess come to us. LOL

Edited 3/15/2006 7:06 pm by MEANCHEF

Glenys's picture

Well why not choose another major city/airport that suits us all?

I know if I go to NYC I will be pulled in all directions, although I'd drag them along, by my friends that live there, shopping, possibly staying in Hoboken, shopping, Balhthazar for rare burgers, shopping.......