NEW! Google Custom Search

The Official TracyFest 2004 Thread

TracyK's picture

Hello!

It's high time we get planning! I am going to use this thread to post general information about hotels, restaurants, etc. However, some folks have expressed some concern about posting specific information about hotel locations, etc. given the fact that we cannot be entirely sure who all is reading this board... so in order to assuage any discomfort, I am going to start a Yahoo group in a while, open to any CTer interested in coming to the Fest. That way we can eventually share the private info without having to worry about anything.

But in the meantime, let's drum up some ideas here! I am in no way as knowledgable about DC cuisine as Mean et al are about Seattle cuisine... but I do know some things, and am willing to visit any restaurant in which people express interest to determine if it's a good place to go.

Past Fests seem to have somewhat of a theme... Thursday and Friday night dinners at less formal but still fabulous ethnic restaurants, then Saturday's tasting menu w/wine pairing at someplace absolutely stellar.

I would like to offer the suggestion for one of the ethnic meals to be Vietnamese ... the DC metro area is home to a sizable Vietnamese community and I have had ample opportunity to enjoy a number of memorable meals... one in particular gets consistently excellent reviews (though I have not yet been) and I think would appeal to this lot... here's a link to the review by the Washington Post food critic, Tom Sietsema (upon whose judgment I rely a great deal): Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant. I plan to go soon and will endeavor to steal a menu for scanning/posting purposes.

Another option that would be fun for a non-tasting-menu night would be Jaleo, or Zaytinya ... respectively, Spanish and Mediterranean tapas. Also Palena. Or, if we'd like to repeat the sushi excursion, Kaz Sushi Bistro. And for a better look at the place I talked about in the other thread with the fried mozzarella in garlic/anchovy butter, here's a review... but keep in mind it's pretty much just your basic neighborhood Italian joint (which happens to specialize in Bolivian saltenas on the weekends), though very well-executed. Brunch at Colorado Kitchen would be a good idea, too.

Tasting menu venue suggestions include:
Todd Gray's Equinox
Michel Richard's Citronelle (WashPost review)
Galileo/Laboratorio del Galileo (WashPost review) (Laboratorio seats a maximum of 28 people)

Here's the link to the Washington Post fall 2003 Dining Guide... feel free to peruse and suggest at will!

OK, that's enough for today. Hotels next week. :-)

"Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes."

http://www.peepresearch.org

PeterDurand's picture

The new one is at Dulles. There is bound to be reasonable transportation. It is on my to-do list, although I will probably be tbe the only one.

Cheers,

Peter

courgette's picture

We may do that one and we will have a vehicle as we will be driving down. Unless its really warm and we bring the Miata! WhichI doubt because I hate driving it on the highways with those huge trucks right on top of it. Definitely no margin for error-very scary indeed.

JaneRose's picture

I wasn't clear.... there are tour busses from the Mall Main Smithsonian out to the new museum. It is near Dulles, just past, or whatever. The trick is to get signed up for the ride out. I believe you can stay as long as you like as long as you plan to get the last shuttle back. What I am unsure of is cost for that ride. Of course, in October, it May be easier than when I was there- April break from school.

TracyK's picture

I think we may have more people with cars than we usually do at these Fests... more people coming in from close-by areas. So it may be entirely possible for those interested in visiting the Dulles Air & Space museum to carpool together.

"Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes."

favorablyimpressed's picture

rather than ride the Petri Dish (Metro). 

Our Metro is very clean!

MadMom's picture

Nobody would ever claim the Metro isn't clean...it is.  I just always seemed to catch something every time I rode it; the idea of being in a sealed container with several dozen other people, all of whom are breathing the same air and coughing in unison, just reminded me of a Petri dish...of course, one could say the same thing for most airplanes, right? 

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

PeterDurand's picture

Did you know that the filters in the modern aircraft air conditioning systems trap to the virus level? This is not a Greyhound bus or public transport environment. And they have to be changed every so many hours of flight time. Standard maintenance procedures.

Cheers

MadMom's picture

Bless you for sharing that...but still, wouldn't being on a plane sitting next to someone who had SAARS breathing that same "filtered" air still be somewhat hazardous to your health?  After all, when we exhale, it isn't immediately filtered; it floats around us until it finally reaches wherever the "recycling" point is.  I realize we are constantly exposed to the germs and other beasties that the people around us are infected with, but it just seems that in an enclosed environment, that exposure would be magnified.  After all, remember when people were allowed to smoke on airplanes?  The smoke from the smoking section sure circulated throughout the plane, even if it might have been filtered before being reintroduced into the system.  I don't know what can be done to prevent this "cross contamination" other than for everyone to wear a mask, which isn't going to happen!

Lily Tomlin

Jean's picture

Maybe it's a form of claustrophobia, but if I don't have one of those little fan thingies blowing in my face on an airplane, I get a real 'can't breathe - panicky feeling' that I just hate.

Forbidden fruits create many jams.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
TracyK's picture

I don't think anyone is set on sushi... many many many options in its place, IMO.

PeterDurand's picture

Agree

Jangomango's picture

Exactly the same here.

Started on a tarmac in New Dehli where we sat for hours without any air movement in the plane.   Shudder.   That was after the engine caught on fire.   

Edit: Delhi??   Can't spell today

Edited 5/2/2004 2:46 am ET by Aussie

Wolvie's picture

I agree. I have no problems with the metro at all. I can't say the same for NYC transport. Ugh. that is a walking or cab town for me. Mostly walking.

So - the consensus is near the mall? Very cool. DC is a great town for walking around and just general vacationing.

"So beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child

TracyK's picture

See, I am definitely weird. I love the subway in NYC and I abhor the Metro. Not for cleanliness, but the Metro just seems so clunky and awkward, and it doesn't go to the places I want to go... whereas the Subway goes everywhere. And you can take your coffee on it. :-)

PeterDurand's picture

I agree. I want to be within walking distance of the Mall. Gawd, there is SO much to see in DC. Gonna pass on the cooking class though. Unless it's in Tracy's kitchen and given by Glenys or someone like her. Tracy...your kitchen will hold 25 people won't it? I will be waiting for you to post a detailed map to your home. For all to see ;-)

Cheers,

Peter

TracyK's picture

Actually, there probably have been 25 people in my kitchen at some point... I have a huge and legendary 4th of July party every year and pulled pork is the spotlight menu item... so when the dinner bell sounds, the kitchen tends to fill up pretty fast!

However, it'd be a stretch for anything other than a drunken pigfest... on second thought... ;-)

Actually, I am entertaining the notion of inviting y'all over for pre-dinner drinks on one of the lesser-attended nights, provided there won't be a hundred people. The Vietnamese restaurant I have in mind is quite close to my apartment. :-) We shall see... there may be a slight change in my living arrangements come fall.

Jean's picture

there may be a slight change in my living arrangements come fall

AHA Will there be a ring involved? :)

Forbidden fruits create many jams.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
shoechick's picture

Good for you girl, nice to see Viola man is progressing nicely.

Born Free....Now I'm Expensive

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

MEANCHEF's picture

Since I have organized fests twice, I know how hard it is to please everyone.  Therefore I will not object to anything you decide.  I will go with the flow - whatever you decide is fine with me.

Did you get my email or is your box full again?

Adele's picture

there may be a slight change in my living arrangements come fall.

Happy dancing and a big smile!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

shywoodlandcreature's picture

Tracy, I'm with MM on the sushi stuff - in fact, Japanese food really doesn't do anything for me, but recognizing that I/we am/are in a minority, I'm sure we can traipse off to explore something else on our own.  

"... how many roads must an individual walk down before you can call them an adult."  Blowin' in the Wind, the politically correct version.

PeterDurand's picture

I am by no means stuck on sushi. And most anywhere we end up will have items on the menu that are not fur or feathers.

Cheers

TracyK's picture

Do you do fins?

PeterDurand's picture

Dunno. What are they?

MadMom's picture

You can join ashley and Mrs. ashley and me...and maybe we can drag Peter along, too?  Or perhaps we could skip sushi this fest?????

Lily Tomlin

TracyK's picture

I've been wanting to try Equinox ever since you first mentioned it...have you checked on the possibility of a tasting menu there, price, etc.?

I know Equinox does tasting menus on a regular basis... here are the samples from their web site (a four course and a six course); the prices are equivalent to what we've paid in the past. I'm willing to bet that Todd Gray would work with us for a customized menu if we wanted it.

Chef’s Four Course Tasting Menu<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I.

Gratin of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Maine Clams and Mussels

House Made Tagliarini, Pepperoncini, and Roasted Garlic Cream

* Ken Forrester Sauvignon Blanc, Stellenbosch, South Africa 2003 *

II.

Crispy Skin Cod Filet

Sweet Pea Ragu, Fresh Mint, and Creamed Lobster Jus

* Edna Valley Chardonnay, San Luis Obispo 2002*

III.

Pan Roasted Cervena Venison

Fingerling Potatoes, Baby Spinach, and Whole Grain Mustard Jus

*Nieto Reserva Cabernet-Shiraz, Mendoza, Argentina 2001*

IV.

Chocolate Macadamia Mousse Napoleon
Mango Coulis and Passion Fruit Sorbet

*I Vigaioli Santo Stefano Moscato D’Asti, Italy 2002*

$65 per person / With wine pairing $85 per person

Chef’s Six Course Tasting Menu

I.

Maine Lobster and Artichoke Salad

Frisee Lettuce, Champagne Mustard Vinaigrette, and Crispy Artichoke Chips

* Buochard Pere et Fils, Rully 2001 *

II.

Bacon Wrapped Loin of Yellowfin Tuna

Wild Mushroom “Fricassee”, Chestnut Puree, and Perigord Truffle

* Witness tree Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley 2001*

III.

Maple Glazed Muscovy Duck

Long Grain Rice, Spiced Pecans, and Foie Gras Jus

*Chateau St Jean Merlot, Sonoma County*

IV.

Petite Tenderloin of Angus Beef

Yukon Potato Pancake, Roquefort Cheese, and Cabernet Reduction

*Bommarito Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2000 *

V.

Delice de Bellocq, French Goats Cheese

Marinated English Cucumber and Toasted Brioche

* U Mes U Fan Tres, Cava, Spain NV *

VI.

Lemon Bread Pudding

Cinnamon Spiced Blueberry Sorbet and Raspberry Sauce

* Lillypilly Noble Blend, Australia 1999*

$85 per person/With wine pairing $110.00 per person 

TracyK's picture

More information about cooking class... I'd recommend a Thai class with Somchet Chumpapo, she is a wonderful chef (the recipes I posted here for for Pad Thai and Larb Gai are hers) and quite engaging... but of course there are dozens of other sujects...

http://www.lacademie.com/Recreational/Private/adult_parties.asp

Jeez... "private adult parties" sounds like definite corner material!

Edited 4/30/2004 9:36 pm ET by Tracy K

PeterDurand's picture

" Private adult parties"..

I have never been sent to the corner (that I can remember). Can I go? Huh, huh? Or is just for girls with, ahem, certain mindsets ;-) ?

Cheers,

Peter

MadMom's picture

Ohhhh, surely you lie...if anyone belongs in the corner, with all your boasting about your thingy, surely you do!

Lily Tomlin