NEW! Google Custom Search

Meaniefest II - Master list of Attendees

MEANCHEF's picture

DELETED BY DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Edited 9/15/2003 4:52:18 PM ET by MEAN CHEF

MadMom's picture

Add Phil (Sally's DH) to the possible list.  And where is Shoechick?  Surely she can make it down from Vancouver again...if you promise not to refer to her as "Tracy the Elder!"  And Tuck?  What about MessyCook?  We need more Canadians!  Oh yes, you left out Cookimonster on the definites.  She's rooming with Biscuit...Oh, sorry, I just saw CM...I'm thinking that's her.  Never mind!

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

CdnRhea's picture

HEY HANDSOME! How are you!!! I am still in the works to plan my flight ,etc....will keep you posted! What day is everyone meeting and where???? I just don't have the time to read all the info in the huge folder.....rates???? I am so on a budget right now...any tips for hotels???? Thanks in advance Mean!

men are like heavy rocks,let's face it, if a tornado  comes, you know your couch is safe...

My knight in shining armour has gone to rust, and I'm left with the ass he rode in on...

MadMom's picture

Rhea - check on Priceline.  I think most of us are paying about $100/nt for our hotel rooms, but of course, that's shared by two people (or three, if you're really cheap, like some of us are!)  Some people are arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday; others are arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday.  Friday and Saturday nights will be the big events, dinner, etc.  I'm sure we'll make it down to Pike Place Market and of course to the original Sur La Table store, which is right there.  As of now, people have rooms booked at the downtown Marriott, the Sheraton Hotel and Towers (downtown), and the Westin (downtown)...all 4* hotels.  Last year, we stayed at the Hyatt...for $40/nt, if you can believe it...but don't seem to be that lucky this year.

Lily Tomlin

CdnRhea's picture

Where are most people staying.What hotel are you at??????????I don't care if I have to share my bed with the entire hotel staff, I am doing my best to come! :)

men are like heavy rocks,let's face it, if a tornado  comes, you know your couch is safe...

My knight in shining armour has gone to rust, and I'm left with the ass he rode in on...

SallyBR's picture

I don't care if I have to share my bed with the entire hotel staff.....

I don t think I can afford to miss this Meanifest....  oh, baby, this is going to be some juicy meeting!

CdnRhea's picture

hmmmmmmm,if I am sharing a bed with the staff, I had better shave the legs....

SallyBR's picture

Newbie????

You called me a newbie????

you wanna see my grey hair???? or is it gray hair?  Where is the spelling police when you need it? 

MadMom's picture

Actually, I think Mean was implying you haven't been to a "fest" before...but we'll ignore that gray hair stuff...I prefer to think of it as platinum blonde streaks, personally. 

Lily Tomlin

Jillsifer's picture

My inner masochist is just DYING to know why we newbies were in red, but I dare not ask.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

MEANCHEF's picture

What color would you prefer?

Jillsifer's picture

Heh, heh . . . too late to ask for a nice, fade-into-the-woodwork black . . .

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

MEANCHEF's picture

Next year

TracyK's picture

Made my travel plans! I'll be arriving Thursday at 1:37 PM, departing Sunday evening at 8 PM. No hotel yet.

Not bad on the airfare (though I should have jumped on that earlier fare, gnash)... $350 RT, from National (which is only about 10 minutes from my house).

Can't wait!!

"Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."

Julia Child

CookiM0nster's picture

Mayday, mayday... a MeanieFest attendence crisis has arisen.

DH has a conference in Marseilles (lucky dog) he has to attend just after the weekend, and his boss just infomed him he has to get there early, sooo I can still come but only for the very beginning. I'm going to have to leave early Saturday morning. I thought that to compensate I'd fly out Thursday. I know Tracy and Bisciut will be there. Is anyone else arriving early?

Jangomango's picture

Moi, quite likely.  

assibams's picture

I am coming into Seattle very late on Thursday.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

Biscuits's picture

And I'll arrive on Thursday, as well. 

Anyone else leaving on Monday?

wtf    - Biscuit

Ancora Imparo -

assibams's picture

Again, me, around noon IIRC.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

PeterDurand's picture

That would be a good idea. I will check it out with with LoML and She Who Makes Hotels Happen (MadMom). Will probably leave Monday and meander back via a B&B in LaConner WA.

Mad Mom...are you there? Have you made hotels happen yet?

Cheers,

Peter

I am at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table  -  Rodney Dangerfield

Jangomango's picture

MM is AWOL

PeterDurand's picture

Oh dear. I hope it is not serious.

I am at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table  -  Rodney Dangerfield

Jangomango's picture

Don't know.  It's been days though. 

KitchenWitch's picture

She's on her way to see her SIL graduate from Basic Training.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

MadMom's picture

She's baaaaaack!

Just got home today, after a whirlwind tour of the south eastern quadrant of the United States...trying to catch up on e-mail.  Peter, you have an email from me.  I got your room a month ago, but for some reason, I understood you were coming in on Friday.  Hope you can get an extra day.

Those of you booking via Priceline probably already know this, but you can try a lower bid, using the 4* Downtown area criteria, then if it's not accepted, add another area (but be sure it's an area that doesn't have any 4* hotels) - you can then go right back in with a slightly higher bid.  I did this for Assibam's hotel...I bid $90, and they rejected it, but suggested I could get a hotel for $110.  I added another area, bid $100, and got the Sheraton.  Just a suggestion.

Lily Tomlin

Jangomango's picture

Update on Priceline for those without hotel rooms yet and SWMHH:- 

It is not being kind.     Travellers who use Priceline are reporting having to go up to $110 to get rooms at 4 **** hotels, and some of these rates are listed and available on discount hotel sites.     

I take it that so far we have people going to Marriott ( Wolvie and Pat), Sheraton (?), Westin (?).    Correct?   Who is where? 

Edit: Used Priceline to get the Sheraton - $110. Sigh...not the bargain of last year. Hope it makes a nice cup of tea. Harumph!

Edited 8/13/2003 7:20:36 AM ET by Aussie

Biscuits's picture

Well, I'm all set.  Plane fare of $213 round trip (yay!).  Arriving Thursday, leaving Monday.

Not sure where I'm staying yet - should have that nailed down this week.

wtf    - Biscuit

Ancora Imparo -

courgette's picture

I had hoped to attend ,but when dh and I got the calendars out to synchronize we realized that is the weekend he is chairing a large conference and since both dds will be in university I need to be here for 10 yr old son.  Unfortunately, no family nearby to pitch in. However that means I will be way up the priority list for next year!  It sounds like soooo much fun-travel, food, shopping, what more could a person ask for?  Mo

Gretchen's picture

I just saw this reference to the Marriott on Fodor's. Thought some of you might be interested.

We stayed at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront and i want to warn those of you planning to stay there to be sure not to stay on the north or south end of the hotel by the train tracks. We were staying on the north side, and the tracks curve there. All night long the trains screeched as they made the turn. These are long freight trains (BNSF) and they run continuously. After two nights with no sleep, we switched rooms. We were able to stay on the same floor as our three teenaged children, but down at the other end of the floor. Not as convenient as I had hoped, but once we were in the quiet room and could sleep, it was fine. Our kids faced the waterfront, so they had no noise. There is a trolley that runs in front of the hotel, but that stops at 11 pm. and it was not nearly as noisy as the freights. Our new room was on a wing basically looking into other rooms across a courtyard, although we could see a sliver of the waterfront. We liked everything else about the hotel and the location was excellent. We could easily walk to Pike Place, Seattle Center, etc. We liked staying on the water for the great views and although it is a very busy waterfront, it felt less crowded than the city.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Wolvie's picture

Thanks for the heads up, Gretchen. I'll be sure to make my room waterfront, if it isn't already!

Nothing valuable can be lost by taking time - Abe Lincoln.

Jangomango's picture

Bad luck. It would have been good to meet you.