NEW! Google Custom Search

MeanieFest 10/25-27-Seattle hotels

ashleydbrit's picture

A quick round-up. The current rate for the Madison on relevant dates appears to be $179/night. Couldn't find a better rate for it, though that doesn't mean its not possible. Currently on hoteldiscounts.com the Ramada is $90/night, Vance $110/night and Roosevelt $130/night. Other rates above and below this are available on this site and also on expedia.com and orbitz.com. An offshoot of Orbitz, at hotwire.com allows you to specify the area and allows you to pick the class of hotel but doesn't tell you which one it is till after booking. Great prices but it's the no refunds - no changes problem. The two areas I looked at were Pike Place and Space Needle.

Question is are we looking for a hotel in the Pike Place area? I'm inclined to book ahead which usually gives best value with least risk. You can sometimes get better rates by booking later but there may not be any rooms so it's a bit of a scrabble to find something.

Any comments/suggestions?

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

Marie0507's picture

Those romantic places to stay books are great. I used them to pick places for our Pacific Northwest trip (Ashley, these are the same places I sent you) and there was only one place out of the 10 or so I stayed at that wasn't perfect. However, the book could be sub-titled "Most Expensive Places to Stay...." A great resource for finding the best places to stay in an area, but probably a bit much for this group. (Among others, they recommeded the one w/ "Inn" in the title that Fave posted earlier.)

Wolvie's picture

sailors and romance? hmmmm....   ;-)

Woe to the cook whose sauce has no sting
- Chaucer

Marie0507's picture

Per "Weekends for Two in the Pacific Northwest 50 Romantic Getaways" the recommended Seattle area hotels are:

Alexis Hotel

Sorrento Hotel

Inn at the Market (what a view!)

Shumway Mansion (B&B in Kirkland)

The Sorrento's sister hotel is attached to the Herbfarm Restaurant: Biscuit, in case DH can't get away for long, you could just blow your whole two week's budget on a long weekend & dinner here: http://www.willowslodge.com/

Edited 5/28/2002 12:02:53 AM ET by Marie-Louise

Glenys's picture

Alexis has always been my favourite in Seattle. I had to submit earlier to the group it's booking at about $279 US per night. I might stand outside the lobby and wave at the front desk, remembering when the exhange rate.

In immortal words, le sigh.

PeterDurand's picture

le sigh indeed. I too remember staying a few times when the cdn$ was worth more than a yuan.

Peter

MadMom's picture

...but Peter, those of us from the warmer climes think that the exchange rate is just wonderful!  Where else could I shop till I drop and spend so little while helping so many starving Eskimos?  Perhaps we should move Meaniefest to Vancouver?????

Insist on the real MadMom - accept no substitutes!

Glenys's picture

Eskimos? You're really dating yourself now. Inuit peoples thank-you.

MadMom's picture

You're really dating yourself now

Hey, at my age, I'm happy to be dating anyone!

Insist on the real MadMom - accept no substitutes!

Wolvie's picture

So - WHERE are we staying, eh?

I'd like to make reservations soon!

- Chaucer

ashleydbrit's picture

OK. Recommendation time. From my research it looks like a good combination of location, price and level is the Pacific Plaza Hotel at 400 Spring Street at the intersection with 4th Avenue. Completely renovated in March 2001 its rates range from $89 - $129/night, we can do a group booking there (might save a few more $) or you can book direct with the hotel and online (also through Expedia.com where it is listed as the Executive Pacific Plaza).

All this is from checking the internet so I don't physically know the location but it looks reasonable. Any local knowledge?

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

PeterDurand's picture

Sounds good to me. I would go for the king size room. Let me know if we will booking as a group. Otherwise I will book seperately when I get back in a few days. Thanks for the effort Ashleyd!

Cheers,

Peter

ashleydbrit's picture

Yep, king size looks good for me too. I'm quite happy to make a group booking, let me know what kind of room and the nights you want to stay - either post here or e-mail me (address here is good), but it won't be until I return from Madeira, maybe the second week in June.

James Beard

MEANCHEF's picture

Ashley, here is what I know about this place.

Location- ok - except walking to pike market and waterfront will require major hill climbing

Price- cheap

Rooms- I haven't been in the rooms, but have known people who have stayed there.  It has no airconditioning and is stuffy.  Rooms are small and cramped.

Bar- I don't think so

Conclusion: I think this would be a good place for those who want an inexpensive alternative.

ashleydbrit's picture

Location- ok - except walking to pike market and waterfront will require major hill climbing.

Ah, but look on the bright side, rolling home will be easy!

James Beard

MEANCHEF's picture

It's actually the other way around.  Coming back is the problem.

favorablyimpressed's picture

I haven't been following all the posts, but remember that there are free bus rides in the downtown area that will take you to Pike Place Market, and all the major spots.

MEANCHEF's picture

I found what Ashley finds appealing about the Pacific Plaza LOL:

Touched up here and there with modern refinements such as new bedspreads, voice-mail and in-room movies, the Pacific Plaza is a mid-size heritage property that offers economy in the heart of downtown's Hotel Row. The rooms are comfy, the lobby's compact but spiffy, and a decent continental breakfast is included in the room rate. You'll find tour groups rolling in by the busload, full of weary-looking Brits, each of whom has just bought a sweatshirt on Robson Street in Vancouver.

CookiM0nster's picture

OK, now it's your turn to come up with an affordable alternative to the Edgewater.

MEANCHEF's picture

If you want downtown, I think the Pacific Plaza is as good an alternative to the edgewater as you are likely to find.

If some stay at the edgewater it will work out fine. 

Glenys's picture

The next group is on it's way. Just met them at Granville Island.

Wolvie's picture

What about the Marriotts near the market? Both are less than a mile - walk wise or cab wise, that sounds good. ( Cab for those late nites at another bar....)

Of course, we might need to find a watering hole. That other place is OUT for me, after the description you posted. Yuck!

- Chaucer

MEANCHEF's picture

There are no Marriots near the market I don't think.

Wolvie's picture

the Marriott site said a Courtyard and a Residence in are both less than 1 mile. I"ll check it out again.

- Chaucer

MEANCHEF's picture

They both on lake union.  Not what I would call walking distance to downtown.

Edited 5/31/2002 3:08:39 PM ET by MEAN CHEF

Tuck's picture

Getting a place that meets all the requirements is difficult, air conditioned, bar, restaurant, price and easy walking distance, more so when the area is unfamiliar.  When I did a search for moderately priced hotels they didn't have air conditioning.  Maybe if you could give a grid street address area list it might make checking easier.  We did stay at a place downtown a few years ago that reminded me of the Sylvia, older hotel but clean, but I no longer remember the name and nothing I've come across sounds familiar so perhaps it's no longer the same name.

~tuck
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Jangomango's picture

So, two hotels it is then.

Guess it's you, me and as yet unnamed to batten down the hatches at the watering hole hotel.      My preference is still the Edgewater.   Those Marriotts on Lake Union are way out and it would be nice to walk places instead of driving.

Wolvie's picture

okay - I'll check out the Edgewater.  When are you making your reservations?

Edit:CM - I'll also do a search on the area hotels for something with better prices! Will let you know.....

Edit: Mean - what about the Camlin? Is it a dump??

- Chaucer

Edited 6/1/2002 6:50:47 AM ET by Wolvie

Edited 6/1/2002 7:56:39 AM ET by Wolvie

Jangomango's picture

I'll make reservations when I know where you and Ashley and CM etc are definitely going and I'll go with the flow...except tourist bus joints with no bars.    We don't want THREE hotels - it will be challenging enough to coordinate from two.   This is going to be cell-phone-mania.

There is still a chance I may not make it at all, but no harm in making reservations anyway.   One  can always cancel.  

ashleydbrit's picture

Right back at the beginning I found the Ramada was $90/night, Vance $110/night and Roosevelt $130/night. All are in the price range, any views on these?

James Beard

Jangomango's picture

Not yet -  & haven't time to do  research today.  Now that we know location isn't everything - there are factors like hills and bars and tourist busses to consider, we can get more info.

Don't worry - we will get there.  You are a diligent researcher,  Ashley, and it's much appreciated.