NEW! Google Custom Search

Meaniefest - Hotels and related issues

MEAN_CHEF's picture

We have settled on Oct 12-14. That was fairly easy. Now on to the matter of accommodations. This will be a bit more difficult to resolve since it is obvious we have varying needs, wants, budgets etc.

See next post.

Li_'s picture

FWI:

I don't care when.

I won't share. (For the presidential suite at the Edgewater, though, I might make an exception. How big was that jacuzzi? I'm calling the kingsize.)

I don't mind funky (but I will use rowdiness as an excuse to avoid a Best Western).

cam14's picture

I'm not sure if I'll be able to come or not, kind of depends on whether or not the kids will be home for Thanksgiving.

aussiechef's picture

Notice that I didn't say I was going to share with 7 others! I go solo, with a view.

Wolverine's picture

heh heh - we do have things in common!

Cooking_Monster's picture

OK, here's my suggestion. Let's pick a weekend that's
i not
Canadian Thanksgiving, but make it primarily a Saturday-Sunday fest.

CLS's picture

That seems like it would make flights and hotels cheaper.

What does everyone else think? As I said, I'm flexible - I'll be on vacation. Only day I can't make it is the 19th. That's completely out for us.

Glenys_'s picture

That definitely works for me. I'll make sure to keep the Monday open and we're happening. Maybe I should be a redhead too....

RuthAnn's picture

I agree - I'll still have to leave Sunday night, though.

I think we should all dye our hair red.

Except Meanie.

cam14's picture

Nah, your
i "perfect"
just the way you are!

CLS's picture

It would clash with the pink capris.

Wolverine's picture

sounds okay to me - just somebody PICK a weekend! :-)

MadMom_'s picture

Glenys - you and I need to find red wigs!

MadMom_'s picture

I agree...let's pick a weekend that isn't over a holiday. Some of us don't work so could care less, but for the rest, it sure would mean cheaper, more available flights and hotel rooms.

MEAN_CHEF's picture

So, pick the weekend.

aussiechef's picture

This is hilarious. Isn't the date picked? Who can't come then? 12-14 covers a weekend plus a Monday. Obviously those who can't stay Monday go home, those who can stay, stay.

MC usually works Saturdays, no?

A Canadian holiday isn't going to mean a fig to Seattle hotels or flights in and out of Seattle. There are always major events going on there. The key is to plan ahead.

Read what Ashley said about hotel room pricing.

MadMom_'s picture

Any weekend except October 12-14.

Given CLS's other engagements, how about the 26-27?

Ruthann, you said this was not ideal for you - but could you still make it?

I'm more concerned about Canadians not being able to make it because of Thanksgiving family obligations.

RuthAnn's picture

yes i can still make it - maybe DH can work from home on Monday - then i won't have to leave Sunday night. Not sure if jill will be able to come or not, though.

MadMom_'s picture

Agree - I think most of us in the US would have problems being away during our thanksgiving holiday...why should we mess with theirs unless we absolutely have to?

MEAN_CHEF's picture

They have all said that it wasn't a problem. That is why we picked the dates. But, it matters not to me.

aussiechef's picture

I thought that it seemed fine with them. Peter said dates didn't matter, Messy, and Cam I think, said it was too ahead of time, Glenys said something about sailors and Sandra mentioned missing out on something at the Sylvia.

RuthAnn's picture

yeesh. maybe we should pick this thread up again in, say, August.

MEAN_CHEF's picture

I will not work when you come.

It is Columbus day weekend. That has never been a major holiday as far as I know.

Tourists clear out of Seattle after Labor Day. The only concerns in October would be major conventions.

aussiechef's picture

Maybe! This must be a redhead thing. When we decided the January fest with blondes and greys it only took a day.:)

RuthAnn's picture

me-ow!

Well, everyone knows Columbus day weekend is best for me. Maybe we should just double check it with the Canadians and see if there are any objections for sure. Didn't Tracey say it would be a problem?

kai_'s picture

Surely it can't be a hair color thing! Mine is striped, brown at the roots, and turns reddish in the sun but I always wear a hat in the sun anymore :-)

Maybe it's a birthday thing?

Since I don't need to concern myself w/this for quite a while, it's fun seeing the planning stage of this one.

CLS's picture

No. Sorry, gotta put my foot down. Well, at least my foot. I am going to buy plane tickets within the next month so I can get the best prices. So, I need to know the dates of the fest so I can know whether or not to arrive a week before the wedding, or the week of the wedding.

Sorry, I know this 'fest does not revolve around me. But - one way or another, I'll be buying tickets within about 5 or 6 weeks.

kai_'s picture

Been monitoring fares to/from SEA/SAN and YVR/SAN and currently, SEA has jumped and YVR dropped, and the latter is much more desirable, esp if one considers the Sylvia. I just may do that--surely one of the CT Canadians might be there and not in SEA.

Did have to go back to Meanie's orig post to make sure I wasn't really hijacking (but I'll start a new thread if I decide to do this):

MEAN CHEF - 05:47pm Jan 28, 2002 EST

We have settled on Oct 12-14. That was fairly easy.

(LOL)