NEW! Google Custom Search

Kitchen scale

MEANCHEF's picture

Now that we have all concluded that kitchen scales are essential, my 20 year old digital scale has bit the dust.

What is the latest collective wisdom as to the best digital scale to buy.  I have been looking at the My Weigh 7000 and 8000.

Any suggestions?

Carole4's picture

We like our Salter digital scale.

mireille_c's picture

Seems it's a very good choice.
I would not hesitate to buy it.
I like the feature about the proportion of the ingredients.
I was very glad to have a tare function that allows the user to subtract the weight of the container from the measurement, but yours tops mine off.

Andy2's picture

We like our Salter 3003 too.

courgette's picture

I bought the KD 8000 on Peter's advice, and so far it seems to do what it's supposed to.

Only had it about a month or a bit more and haven't cooked a lot but I like it. It is larger than the one I had but it sits higher so you can actually see the weight under a dish. the keypad also has a shield which is probably a good thing when one is doing a lot of baking.

Mo

madnoodle's picture

I bought  a Soehnle (sp?) for about 50 bucks a few years ago.  It works great, for my needs.  I'd prefer it be able to switch back and forth between grams and ounces, but my mental math skills are pretty good, so it's not a big deal.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Adele's picture

That's what I have.  Come to think of it, I haven't had to chage batteries on it yet.  I especially like that I can put a bowl or plate on it, then turn it on and it starts at zero.

Don't use grams and would have to go to the internet for conversions, so great are my mathimatical abilities.  Not.   I think mine changes but I have to do something to it.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

madnoodle's picture

Mine only works in grams, so I'm getting good at multiplying by 28.

jim262's picture

When the display on my three year old My Weigh 7001DX failed, I replaced it with an OXO food scale with Pull-Out Display and 11 lb. capacity.

The OXO scale has a nice big platform so I seldom need to pull out the display to read it. The feature I like most is the huge display when compared to the My Weigh. It also has a very long auto shutoff time of 45 minutes though the display will go dark in three minutes to conserve battery power.

The only thing I liked better on the My Weigh was the decimal reading on Imperial ounces. The OXO weighs by eighths of an ounce.

I believe that OXO has a less expensive version with 5 lb. capacity, but that may be a bit short of capacity when weighing a mixer bowl full of dough for scaling.

Edited 12/1/2009 12:22 pm ET by jim262

DJHinAZ's picture

I have a MyWeigh 7001DX. It gives me exactly what I want: all sorts of unit options, including the ounces in decimals (not fractions). I have had problems with it, although I think the problems were related to the AC power cord causing some sort of electrical problem, but it is warranteed and they just sent me a new one. This time I'm running it on battery only... But I find it's the only one on the market that is a large enough capacity AND has ounces in decimals (and has all sorts of other unit options).

Aberwacky's picture

I love my cheapo digital scale.  Tares, ounces and grams. That's all I need. (Don't know the manufacturer.)

lately, though, I've been using it to weigh packages for postage, LOL.

Leigh

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them."
-Leo Tolstoy
"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
Heather's picture

I've had the My Weigh 7001 for several years and I'm very happy with it. I agree with the positive comments already posted. It's small and tucks easily on its side into a cabinet. The batteries last a really long time, I bought the AC adapter but have never used it. A wide item on top will obscure the screen, but the hold button takes care of that.

FL.Cook's picture

I have one, and love it! Have had it for about two years.Carole
I never bought the AC adapter, and my batteries are still going strong.

Edited 12/1/2009 12:10 pm ET by FL.Cook

Carole