NEW! Google Custom Search

Steamer Pan

MadMom's picture

Steamer Pan (post #56601)

I'm looking for a steamer pan.  The one we saw was rectangular, about 9 x 18 or so, and it had steamer holes in the bottom, and it fit inside a steamer pan which was also rectangular.  All we can find are fish poachers.  The woman was on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and she smoked her own salmon.  Really looked good.  The salmon was rubbed with a dry rub, wrapped and let sit over night.  Then she put hickory chips in the bottom, and the steamer pan inside, covered it with foil, and let it smoke for a couple of hours.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

roz's picture

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-Stove-Top-Smoker/dp/B000G6ODQU

or this from Sur La Table?

http://tinyurl.com/yc9gpn6

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
MadMom's picture

Sort of, but not quite.  I actually have the first one, and plan to try it.  Of course, now I've forgotten the dry rub and the cooking time, but no one is perfect.  I have my feeling that the one she used probably came from a restaurant supply place, and the Burton would probably do just as well.  Will try it.  Thanks.

Not One More Day!

Gretchen's picture

Just punh holes in a foil pan. I do it for shrimp grilling.

Gretchen

Gretchen
rosie t's picture

Like this one

http://www.hubert.com/prod/68396.57452.20023/searchlb/Vollrath-Perforated-Super-Pan-II-Steam-Table-Pan.html

Click here to see larger image

Click here to see larger image

Vollrath® Perforated Super Pan II® Steam Table Pan

• Drains quickly, yet 15/16"Dia holes retain most food

• Ideal for steaming

• 22 gauge. 18/8 stainless steel construction

MadMom's picture

That looks like it!  Wow, it's expensive, might try the Burton I already have first, and if it works, will save the money.  Thanks, though.  I looked but couldn't find it.

Not One More Day!

Glenys's picture

That's the standard Volrath steamer tray as rosie noted, so pretty much every restaurant would have them with and without holes. Your Burton is the perfect solution. Yes using it would be a novel idea.

Heather's picture

Do you have a restaurant supply store around? They have cheap ones in 1/2 and full sizes.

MadMom's picture

Used to have a restaurant supply store around here, but they went belly up.  I need to find another one somewhere.  I loved the one close to my home before we moved, and often bought things there.

Not One More Day!

Heather's picture

They are one of my favorite stores to browse through. I hope you find one that's not too far away.

thecooktoo's picture

MM - my store of last resort is always Ebay...do a search under perforated steam table pans...you'll find dozens, including full size one for $14.

Jim

MadMom's picture

Never thought of that, Jim.  Will look if the Burton doesn't work.

Not One More Day!

thecooktoo's picture

I'm kind of like Alton Brown in some ways.  I hate to have single use tools all over the kitchen.  And believe me, a perforated hotel pan is almost always a single use tool.

Last time I need to smoke something that was to big to fit in my Cameron Stove Top and I did not want to go out in the snow...I used a disposable large steam table pan...placed 4 cookie cutters in the bottom about an inch or so thick, put soaked wood chips in the center, put my food to be smoked (in this case a beef tenderloin) in another disposable pan that I had take a screwdriver too and punched holes all over the bottom.  Then wrapped in with aluminum foil that included taking the foil down to the lip of the bottom pan and securing it around that.  I then placed the whole thing on a sheet pan and put it on the stove top on low...began smoking in less than 15 minutes.  did a great job and my investment was "0".

Jim

MadMom's picture

You know, what you say makes a lot of sense.  I had to go down to the basement to get the Burton, because I never used the darn thing except once after I bought it.  You'd think I would have learned my lesson, but no, I'm looking for a steamer pan!  I'll take your advice!

Not One More Day!

Gretchen's picture

Jim took it to the actual "doing", but that was what I meant when I suggested a foil pan with holes back in the beginning.  Seems like it would be easy enough. ;o0

Gretchen

Gretchen