NEW! Google Custom Search

Free standing electric stove.

Madeleine's picture

I'm looking for a new free standing electric stove and wonder what some of you would recommend. Also, I'm wondering about convection versus non-convection. I've never owned a convection stove. Any advice would be appreciated.

Madeleine

Madeleine
cyalexa's picture

Many of the "home kitchen" convection ovens have a fan but no additional heat source behind the fan. That's what I ended up with when I bought my new ovens. It creates a bit of a cooler spot near the fan and a warmer spot near the door. It is not as fast as true convection but somewhat faster than my old oven. It does seem to crisp skin nicely on poultry. I can override the "convection" feature and turn the fan off, but typically use the fan, so I guess I like it.

Ozark's picture

Get one with a double oven, the small one on top. Had mine for a year. Love the small one, does 80% of what I do. Less energy used and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much. Like one of these.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Appliances_Cooking+Appliances_Freestanding#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&&filter=Number+of+Ovens|2&lastFilter=Number+of+Ovens

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Gretchen's picture

We have that at the beach and I agree--just LOVE it. And the flat top ceramic burners.

I think lots of different brands with that feature now, if Kenmore isn't what you want. Nothing wrong with Kenmore, of course. 

Gretchen
Gretchen
Ozark's picture

The link I posted has 12 brands, mines Maytag.

hcookie's picture

One thing to check out in a range with double stacked ovens is how easy it will be to clean the bottom oven.  I was looking at the GE single/double wall oven and to get enought space in both ovens they did not have the hidden bake element which makes it easier to clean the oven floor.

Gretchen's picture

Great. I only looked at the top two to see if that was the type you were referring to. 

And DD has the induction Kenmore cooktop that they LOVE.

Gretchen

Edited 4/16/2009 11:27 am ET by Gretchen

Gretchen
Ozark's picture

Yes, we had induction for ten years until we moved 5 years ago.

Madeleine's picture

OK so I don't know a lot about induction and convection cooking. Why do I want these...I need to know what they do for me. And as you probably know...when you go in the store the appliance salesmen don't really know a whole lot about these things. Thanks in advance.

Madeleine

Madeleine
Gretchen's picture

Induction is super fast--and you must have very specific cookware for it. Only magnetic metals will cook on it.

Convection is basically baking with an added fan that allows things to cook faster.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Ozark's picture

Yes, as Gretchen says. Example is doing three cookie sheets instead of one. Ever notice that in a regular oven the cookies brown unevenly front to back.

I really miss my induction. It heats the pan. Extremely responsive and doesn't heat up the kitchen. You can put several inches of water in a pan and bring it to a boil. Turn it off, remove pan and you can touch the stove top and just very warm. When something is boiling and you turn it to low it immediately stops boiling. Turn back to high and starts to boil again.

Do andvanced search for induction, there have been a number of discussions in the past.

Edited 4/17/2009 9:46 am ET by Ozark

hcookie's picture

If you are interested in induction Kenmore has an induction range and GE has one that is due in July according to their website.