NEW! Google Custom Search

recommend a crock pot

brucet9's picture

My daughter wants a crock pot. Reviews on Amazon.com of Rival 4-qt pot say it cooks too hot even on "low" setting; food burns or goes mushy before the user gets home from work.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand that works well?

BruceT
BruceT
TracyK's picture

Anything cooked in a CrockPot for 8-10 hours is going to be mushy, no two ways about it.

I have a Rival (though at this point it's probably 15 years old) and it works fine for the limited things I use it for (chili, spaghetti sauce, beans, beef stew).

"The world expects us to elect pompous yahoos and instead we have us a 47-year-old prince from the prairie who cheerfully ran the race, and when his opponents threw sand at him, he just smiled back. He'll be the first president in history to look really good making a jump shot. He loves his classy wife and adorable daughters."                          -- Garrison Keilor

brucet9's picture

Thanks. I think I've got the time problem solved with a $10 appliance timer. She can set the time to turn the power to the pot on and off.

BruceT
BruceT
Adele's picture

My crock pot is in the cabinter over the refrigerator and I'd have to move stuff and......

Here is a website to check:

http://www.consumersearch.com/slow-cookers/reviews

I don't use mine enough to recommend it or not. 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Risottogirl's picture

Honestly, try and find an older one at a tag sale, the new versions all cook very hot even on low.

And as Tracy mentioned, they really have a limited number of dishes that work well using them.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

brucet9's picture

"try and find an older one at a tag sale..."

Thanks. My wife won't turn loose of her 1970 era crock. Great for bean or lentil soups and such.

BruceT
BruceT