NEW! Google Custom Search

Ziploc vacuum pump

leonap's picture

Has anyone bought this? No batteries required. I looked at them at WM yesterday. The bags were almost twice what the Reynolds vac bags are. I wonder if the Ziploc will work with the Reynolds bags?

SquarePeg's picture

I tried it and ended going back to my seal-0-meal. I tend to do a bunch at one time and it's more efficient. i think the Ziploc guys would be good for small amounts, though.

leonap's picture

Yeah, I have a FoodSaver and the Reynolds vac thingy. I use the Reynolds for mostly short-term storage. I was just wondering if the Ziploc pump would work with the Reynolds bags. It would save batteries.

Gretchen's picture

I got "something" (as yet unused)  a couple of weeks ago, and it is probably the ZipLoc one, which I thought wass the Reynolds. It was $1.99 with lots of coupons and discounts so I thought it couldn't be too bad.

Gretchen

Gretchen
MadMom's picture

Mine is still in the cabinet, unused.  I broke my foodsaver, though, so I either have to take it apart and see if I can fix it, buy a new one, or use the Ziploc or Reynolds or whatever I have.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

gourmand's picture

What broke? The seal?

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.

Gretchen's picture

I've had  two to "break". Mad Mom has fixed hers one time. One of mine was the heat strip, and the other just stopped sucking, so to speak. Lots to go wrong I think.

Gretchen

Gretchen
gourmand's picture

Mine stopped sucking and the foam had separated. Somehow during a war with pantry moths, Emptied the entire kitchen) we lost the drip tray. Called Tilla and they don't have trays but you can order the foam seals. Mine was three months out of warranty. They had me ship it back and sent me a brand new one.

Just went to their web site. They have parts on line now. There was the replacement drip tray they said was no longer made!

Gretchen's picture

What "drip tray"?  ;o)

Gretchen

Gretchen
gourmand's picture

Like these.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Category.aspx?id=r&sort=0&page=1

Gretchen's picture

Oh, I call that the vacuum channel or something like that. Was yours apart when that happened? That is what confused me.

Gretchen

Gretchen
gourmand's picture

Yes I had sealed some steaks and was laying on the counter drying. Same day DW decided to wage war on the pantry moths. We emptied every cabinet and the 6'x8' pantry and put in the living room. Put stuff away. Went to use and looked everywhere, never found it.

Gretchen's picture

I've never taken mine apart! Or don't think I could get that out.

Gretchen

Gretchen
gourmand's picture

They are not attached, they just pull out.

MadMom's picture

My first one was way out of warranty, and they wanted $60 to fix it, so I figured I had nothing to use.  Took it all apart, cleaned it up, and it worked fine.  The second one I bought at Costco and never used it until long after we moved.  Threw away the box, and of course, it was out of warranty.  So I figure I have nothing to lose on it, either.  Only disturbing thing was that it never seemed to draw a vacuum, so will have to worry with it.

Not One More Day!

gourmand's picture

Check the foam seal. Very poor design. Look close and you will see that each seal is actually 2 layers of foam glued together. One of mine, the glue let loose for about a half of an inch. Wouldn't seal, maybe your problem.

MadMom's picture

Good tip.  I'll look there.  Did you just reglue it when you found the problem?

Not One More Day!

gourmand's picture

Don't think it would work. They are only $3 so order a spare.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Category.aspx?id=r

Edited 11/9/2008 10:19 am ET by gourmand

Gretchen's picture

That was my second one--the one with the tube thingy. It never drew a good seal. I've gone back to the plain pipe rack. They are cheap cheap at Tuesday Morning.

Gretchen

Gretchen