NEW! Google Custom Search

Would you buy a Viking?

stilllearning2's picture

viking range? we are remodeling, and the Viking 30" dual fuel appeals. Any great success stories?

Napie's picture

We, (I really, the redhead hates to cook), selected the Wolf over the Viking, 30” dual fuel.  Price was about the same, the Wolf was quite a bit more heavy duty.  After 3+ years I love it more every day.

MadMom's picture

I like the Dacor better than the Viking, but there are people who love Viking.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

MNMike's picture

We're two for two (all gas both times).

Our last Viking:

Our current Viking:

Happy with both.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Our_Current_Viking.jpg
Our_Current_Viking.jpg52.36 KB
Our_Last_Viking.jpg
Our_Last_Viking.jpg39.01 KB
CanadianCook's picture

Sweet mother of Christ! (tangent coming), some of you folks have gorgeous kitchens! I should take of picture of my stock pot filling up two burners of my itty bitty Danby (yup, Danby) gas stove. You know, the ones where the "elements" just kind of rest in the stove with a little thingy sticking a hole. And I LOVE this kitchen. I get to sit at a table as we speak and type at a TABLE! IN THE KITCHEN! Of course, it should be mentioned that we rent out the first floor of a house in the Annex which is pretty central in Toronto. The fact that we have a dishwasher brings oohs and ahhhs from our other downtownish friends.

Still.

So many of you have gorgeous kitchens, which I'm sure you built (talented buggers!), and Mike yours is no different. Beautiful.

So.

On the questions of stoves, we have all Wolfs (Wolves?) at School and that's what I like. That and my sweet sweet Danby apartment stove.

Jeff

"Cooking is not about shouting at your food, but there's also nothing wrong with shouting at your food." - Michael Ruhlman on Emeril

Ahhh Laaaa Laaaa Ahhhhh Laaaaa -

Sage, January 2008

pamilyn's picture

Your Wolfs at school are NOT the same Wolfs that you buy for home use. That said. I have a Viking and have had NO problems for 11 years now. I have several friends who bought Wolf and they have had NUMEROUS problems. Both of them. The customer service is great at Wolf, but who wants to call customer service in the first place? I have used Dacor ovens and adore them. Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

Marie Louise's picture

Yes, and I like it very much. I LOVE having a self-cleaning oven, and although both were rated as 15K BTUs, my Viking seems much hotter than my old Wolf. I like a gas oven. As MadMom said, she likes her Dacor, and I've heard others say that as well.

Judy/AZ's picture

I am on my second Dacor and just love it. Both my sons have Vikings and I really don't care for them. My Dacor is a wall oven and my boys have the range model, so that does make a difference. Mine is electric and theirs are gas.

smslaw's picture

Would you buy a Viking?

No-Why spend $5-10K on an appliance that won't really cook any better than a $1K appliance?  If I want a work of art in the kitchen, I'll buy a painting.

wisekaren's picture

All in all, I love my Viking. That being said, the grill section never gets used anymore, although it works great, because it is such a b*tch to clean -- it serves mostly as a large trivet. :-) But the burners perform beautifully, and a friend bought me the griddle that fits over two of them. I love the oven -- gotta have self-cleaning here! -- but have never really gotten the hang of the broiler.
Karen

Marcia's picture

What's up with the broiler? I can't understand how you have to get the hang of it. I love my broiler, so this would bother me.

wisekaren's picture

I don't know -- there's maxi broil, mini broil, and conv. (conventional? convection?) broil, and every time I read the manual to try to suss out the distinctions, I glaze over and give up.
Karen

Marcia's picture

You do have to wonder who writes these manuals.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got out the manual for my car to change the clock to DST, and it was a one step deal once I found the directions. How often does THAT happen!

pamilyn's picture

Its infa red....gets really, really hot, reallly, really fast.

Marcia's picture

That sounds like my kind of broiler.

pamilyn's picture

LOL, I love my grill. I love my husband. He cleans it!! Pamilyn

wisekaren's picture

Did you ever clean it yourself? It's the WORST job in the world. You are one lucky gal. :-)
Karen

pamilyn's picture

Once.....seriously, we grill outside year round, but if I just want a few crostini or a few veggies I do it on the inside grill. Yes I am lucky. He doesn't mind cleaning it. At least you can take all the parts to the sink. Pamilyn Edit to add. Once you guys turned me on to the Dawn degreaser stuff, he uses that.

Edited 3/14/2007 5:23 pm ET by pamilyn

EVEN's picture

I used to have the 30" AG (5 yrs), but now have the AG Wolf (new home). I didn't have any major problems with the Viking - it did its job. Higher btu burners than the old Caloric and being able to slide my heavy pots from burner to burner were what I wanted. I never used the self-clean in the Caloric, so didn't need it in the Viking either.

The only ongoing problem was the ongoing click of the ignitors after ignition, but it didn't affect performance. Maybe the newer ones no longer have that issue.