NEW! Google Custom Search

DIY Kitchen Remodel

MNMike's picture

DIY Kitchen Remodel (post #55314)

Hi - I'm a subscriber to both Fine Cooking and Fine Homebuilding.  I recently finished a remodel of our kitchen and posted some pics over on the Breaktime site.  They suggested I ought to show them here as well.  I did all the work myself (except for a bit of HVAC work) and comleted it in 7 weeks flat.

Enjoy.

First, the "before" pictures - an ode to 1980's oak:

MNMike's picture

And here are the "after" photos:

PreviewAttachmentSize
After_1.JPG
After_1.JPG29.74 KB
After_10.JPG
After_10.JPG53.77 KB
After_11.JPG
After_11.JPG56.1 KB
After_12.JPG
After_12.JPG59.94 KB
After_2.JPG
After_2.JPG35.07 KB
After_3.JPG
After_3.JPG65.08 KB
After_4.JPG
After_4.JPG41.31 KB
After_5.JPG
After_5.JPG63.04 KB
After_6.JPG
After_6.JPG56.02 KB
After_7.JPG
After_7.JPG54.19 KB
After_8.JPG
After_8.JPG62.89 KB
After_9.JPG
After_9.JPG59.53 KB
Quilter's picture

Wow! As someone who has a kitchen that is in dire need of a massive remodel, just color me envious. Mind you, I'd be happy to have your 'before' kitchen, but your 'after' is absolutely stunning. Wow again!

Jean's picture

I was thinking what's wrong with the before?  I must say I do like the cupboards to the ceiling and 'picnic' style dining table would have had to go if it were mine, I love the new appliances of course, but I'm thinking these are young folks with really good eyes. If I had my way, my kitchen would be white with 3 times as much lighting as I have now. My aging eyes would thank me.

Beautiful workmanship though. Awesome kitchen.

My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it.

- Buddy Hackett

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MNMike's picture

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.  I've heard the "what was wrong with the 'before' kitchen?" comment before.  All I can say is that it photographed considerably better than it looked in person.  We bought the house from a family with six children (thus the enormous pine table in the informal dining area), and the kitchen was in pretty rough shape.  With regard to the lighting, I concede that some of the photos appear a touch dark.  In person, it is actually quite bright, especially with all of the undercabinet xenon lamps reflected off the subway tile backsplash.  Between the recessed halogens and the pendants, the kitchen has almost 1,500 watts of lighting, which we knew we would need given the dark colors we went with.

MadMom's picture

As someone who is 95% through a kitchen reno, I can only say you did a wonderful job!  I love the dark colors, and can see where it would really be bright enough with the light backsplash.  You did a fantastic job.  Want to come to my house and help me finish up some loose ends?

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Marcia's picture

As has happened before, I thought for a moment your "before" pictures were the "after" and was disappointed. Boy, did I change my mind when viewing the real after pics. It's such a beautiful kitchen...thanks for posting.

You can live with us for seven weeks or however it takes, anytime.

Heather's picture

That's a very sophisticated kitchen--good job!

Wolvie's picture

Wow. great work!

Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.

THOMAS HENRY HUXLEY,  September 23, 1860.

PeterDurand's picture

That is one great looking kitchen. Major congrats. As someone who diddles with wood from time to time I really appreciate the workmanship.

Cheers,

Peter

unbaked's picture

Who put that green stuff in my moisturizer? :)

Gorgeous.

Also, I recognized a lot of the dust jackets on the cookbooks..I must have 75% of them, that's wild. lol.

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

CanadianCook's picture

What a fabulous job! Congratulations and enjoy! You should be extremely proud. I love the hanging pot rack over the sink!

Ahhh Laaaa Laaaa Ahhhhh Laaaaa -

Sage, January 2008

Cissytoo's picture

Gorgeous job.  I thought the "before" was pretty neat, but the "after" ones are stunning.  Love the pot rack over the sink.

Ricks503's picture

Mike, As others have stated, based on the photo, I would have liked your before kitchen, but developed a mild greenish skin tone looking at the after ones.  Great job.

By the way, if you would not mind, could you check out this post  29582.1   and give your opinion on the situation?

Thanks, and enjoy the kitchen.  By the way I am going to steal your pot rack idea.  I did not have enough room to put one anywhere else and I really wanted one.  Your idea is perfect.  I am going to put a shelf in above it and put some cook books there.

1 - measure the board twice, 2 - cut it once, 3 - measure the space where it is supposed to go        4 - get a new board and go back to step 1

" There'll be no living with her now" - Captain Jack Sparrow

Regality's picture

Heck, man, if my kitchen even looked as good as your "before" I'd be dancin' in the streets! 

“For me, patriotism is the love of one’s country, while nationalism is the hatred of other peoples.”–Dmitri Likhachev

http://regality3.livejournal.com/profile

Nightrider's picture

Gorgeous job!  You had such a nice space to work with (I have an 8' x 10' condo kitchen...so jealous!), and I love how you reconfigured the appliances.  Looking at the before pictures, all I could think about was how much of a pain it would be to go back and forth from the fridge to the sink with that island in the middle. 

New colours are nice too!  Great work!

MNMike's picture

One other thing that is not obvious from the pictures is that we actually moved one of the walls back 12" (the wall separating the kitchen from the powder room) in order to enlarge the island and accommodate the seating along the side of the island.  The powder room was originally quite large, so we weren't really losing anything.  The upside, however, was tremendous and really changed the feeling of the space, especially in connection with relocating the refrigerator which eliminated what had been a vertical visual "cut off".

Thanks for the nice comments.

NanaC's picture

You can certainly be proud of the great job you've done in that kitchen!  It does look dark in the pics, but I'll take your word that the effect in person is much brighter.  I'm with Jean, in that I need a mostly white kitchen...partly old eyes and partly SAD.  But your colors are very elegant and sophisticated.

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

pamilyn's picture

I thought the island looked bigger. Did you make the cabinets too? Very nice kitchen.

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

MNMike's picture

Yep - the island used to be about 3' x 6' and is now 4.5' x 7'.  No, I can't claim to have made the cabinets.  Kraftmaid to the rescue.  This is the sixth room I've done with Kraftmaid cabinets, and we've always been quite pleased with the quality.

pamilyn's picture

Are those Charlie Trotters books?

MNMike's picture

Yes, I think we've got the entire Charlie Trotter library.  We're big fans.  My lovely wife and I finally had the chance to eat at his restaurant on a brief weekend trip to Chicago this past spring - the experience of a lifetime.

Edited 8/25/2006 7:31 pm ET by MNMike

MNMike's picture

Oops - I meant to stick this picture in my last post.  From our Tour of Charlie Trotter's kitchen.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Charlie_Trotter.jpg
Charlie_Trotter.jpg49.44 KB
mer's picture

oh i love the spices in the background.  how cool.

Wolvie's picture

very cool - and good info on the kraftmaid - I have been looking at that line for a bit.  What do you think of the "plain and fancy" folks??

OTT, I have seriously been considering custom hickory.

Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.

MNMike's picture

I've never seen Plain & Fancy cabinets in person, but they sure look nice in their ads.  I think This Old House used them in a recent project as well, and they looked great.

Wolvie's picture

ahh. so - you've not heard anything bad about them? thanks for the input. :-)

Marcia's picture

I drool over the Plain and Fancy line. Not an attractive picture, is it? <g> Not literally true, either, but it surely is figuratively speaking.

SallyBR1's picture

UNREAL!

Outstanding job! I could cook in that kitchen until the day I die, with a smile in my face!

"Her shimmyshaky is much better than her chimichurri"
(Glenys, June 2006)