NEW! Google Custom Search

There's a light at the end of the tunnel

MadMom's picture

There's a light at the end of the tunnel (post #55273)

...of course, it may be a speeding train!  At any rate, the floor guy should be finished tomorrow, and the countertops and sink have been installed, and we ripped out one wall of the sun room, framed it in, and replaced two sliding glass doors with one set of French doors.  Tomorrow, the contractor should come in to rip out the rest of the "pickled oak' paneling and replace it all with dry wall.  We ran into a minor problem when installing the faucet...it was so high that it bumped into the window sill, so my cabinet guy came by and took that out.  He will cut it down and replace it tomorrow.  Another slight problem...when the countertop guy made the countertops, he put in about 1/8" to 1/4" overhang where the stove goes.  Of course, I just had room for the stove, so now I have to get them cut down so the stove will fit.  Supposedly the cabinet guy can do that.  I love the sink.  Love the faucet.  Love the countertops.  They even make my old cabinets look good.  Now I have to figure out what kind of tile to put up for a backsplash (the tile guy is coming by tomorrow evening) and what color I'm going to paint the walls.  Also have to pick out new hardware to replace what is on the cabinets now.  So, it's far from finished, but we've accomplished a lot.

Oh yes, I gave in to Willie Ray, who was insisting he wanted a dishwasher installed NOW!  We got the KA from our appliance guy, who knocked $200 off it, which I thought was reasonable, considering all the aggravation they've caused us.  He also called today, Sunday, to tell me he woiuld send someone over tomorrow morning to rip out the disposal (which is evidently a bad unit) and replace it with a new one.  Never a dull moment.  At least I've moved all the crystal back into the dining room, so we can actually eat in the breakfast room.  I'll attach some pictures.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Edited 7/30/2006 8:46 pm by MadMom

Marcia's picture

The Crown Point cabinets look perfect for a Craftsman style home. I have a Morris chair and a rocker inherirted from my grandfather. Another cousin got the rest of the furniture, and it's from the early part of the twentieth century, although not Stickley.

marie-louise's picture

Mad Mom-

Can you do us all a favor & post the details in one place, like they do on GardenWeb? Maybe start a new thread called "Mad Mom's kitchen."

Include:

before/ after pictures

The name & manufacturer of your stove, floor (including stain color), tiles, faucet, granite, island, pot rack, cabinet hardware, pain color, and anything else you can think of. These details can be really helpful for people designing a kitchen.

Thanks!

PS If anyone else who's done a kitchen could do the same, that would be terrific.

Edited 8/10/2006 11:45 am by marie-louise

Beebs's picture

OMG - I never heard of them, and they are right here in NH! Thanks so much for the link. This is just my style too.

Sandy

pamilyn's picture

I know what you mean about lazy. The house we live in now is in a high end neighborhood so I could justify the sub zero, granite etc., but we are downsizing to a smaller house in a normal neighborhood. I just can't justify all that now in the new house and at my age. I like funky and I have been looking everywhere for some interesting applications for laminate. NO WAY. Designers are just putting in granite it seems. I realize that is what clients want, but there is such cool laminate out there now. I am not giving up. Even if I put in something funky, whoever buys the house can justify pulling out a funky laminate because it is just not that expensive. There are some Italian companies out there who are making some very cool stuff. If you see any cool contemporary kitchens with laminate, send me a link, O.K. ? Thanks, Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

marie-louise's picture

I will start a new thread just for you. I too love Formica.

pamilyn's picture

Please do. It is so fun "Talking" with you about kitchens. This will be my 4th kitchen re-do. Pamilyn

Beebs's picture

Another laminate fan here. Can I join the club?

Sandy

Beebs's picture

I'd love to see what you consider funky laminate. I was just at the hardware store today because I want to replace my kitchen counters and sink, but not spend a whole lot.

Sandy

mer's picture

I like this one...
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/colors_collections/patterns.popup.Specifications.0001.7711.LargeImage.html or if that doesn't work, it is called 7711 METALLIC GAUZE.
or 7702 CELADON GLAZE

There are cool colors out there. Too many to list.

mulch52's picture

As if you don't know your own mind and preferences

With all the the CTers' efforts, I'm afraid I don't know my own mind and preferences!  With each remodel, I find myself thinking, oooh, I'll want to use that feature.... 

NanaC's picture

But you know how you cook and the designer doesn't

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

Fran

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!"

Gretchen's picture

They do, and like everything else, have made it a liquid instead of the solid you could mix. Your cabinets should be fine with 409--mine always were. But, mineral spirits will do it.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Wolvie's picture

third.

Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.

THOMAS HENRY HUXLEY,  September 23, 1860.

MadMom's picture

Nice to know.  We also opted for the most powerful external motor we could get, which is mounted on top of the roof.  According to the salesman, the hood will suck up puppies and small children, LOL.  I'll definitely try the WD-40.  As an aside, did you know that WD-40 is excellent for removing sticky glue from things?

Not One More Day!

favorablyimpressed's picture

<I'll definitely try the WD-40. As an aside, did you know that WD-40 is excellent for removing sticky glue from things?>

I need to try that. I presently use Goo Off, or something like that.

MadMom's picture

I found that out from a friend of younger DDs, when she bought a home in which some idiot had left masking tape glued to the counters.  I was trying to scrape it off, teeny bits at a time.  He sprayed it with WD-40, left it a little while, and the stuff just rolled off.

Not One More Day!

TracyK's picture

Goo Gone. Love that stuff. Much better smell than WD-40. :-)

Salt early, salt often.

mer's picture

try the stainless steel cleaner that came with your purchase.  I like it more than wd40.

to the other person... for wood cabinets/hood area, try muphy's oil before anything else. 

beebuzzled's picture

The kitchen is looking good, MM. That stove makes me want to start cooking!

Why is the rum always gone?  Captain Jack Sparrow
MadMom's picture

Thanks!  Got the handles and pulls today and put them on.  Can't see them too well in the first picture, but the second one shows them pretty nicely.  I can't believe how much better the old oak cabinets look now.

Not One More Day!

PreviewAttachmentSize
kitchen_reno_056.jpg
kitchen_reno_056.jpg95.83 KB
kitchen_reno_057.jpg
kitchen_reno_057.jpg136.66 KB
beebuzzled's picture

It's amazing how a small piece of hardware can totally change a look. Those are nice. They give a very mission style effect. The finished backsplash is just lovely. You have a  warm, inviting kitchen.

MadMom's picture

Thanks so much.  My younger DD's DMIL is arriving from Ireland Sunday, and I had wanted to get everything all finished by then, but looks like that isn't going to happen.  Oh well, she can at least see where we're headed with it. 

Not One More Day!

CBirck's picture

Wow!! What a difference and so beautiful.  I'm packing for our trip over the Pond, so don't have time at the moment to go through the whole thread.  In advance, I apologize if I'm repeating what some one else might have already told you.  I love my Blanco stainless sinks, but I think I understood you did not get Blanco.  Whatever stainless sinks you did get, get the grids (inserts) that go inside of them to protect the finish.  You never need to worry about scratching the bottom of the sinks them.  Can hardly wait to read more about your kitchen and enjoy that beautiful view.  Whata faucet!  Enjoy and be happy.

AnnL's picture

I love that granite--really beautiful!  And, the sink is lovely.

AnnL
Transitions Farm
Gardening, cooking, and riding
in Central Mass.

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

Sammy2's picture

Have you checked to see if they have granite tiles to match the slab granite? That's what I have as a backsplash.  They installed it on the diagonal and used a silicone calk so that it barely has a gap in between the tiles.  My backsplash covers the entire area between countertop and upper cabinets.

Ricks503's picture

Kitchen looks great - and I just Love the view out the window over the sink.

1 - measure the board twice, 2 - cut it once, 3 - measure the space where it is supposed to go        4 - get a new board and go back to step 1

" There'll be no living with her now" - Captain Jack Sparrow

MadMom's picture

I love the view, also.  It's of the driveway where it splits to come to the garage (on the left of the picture) or to the right, to go to the front of the house.  One of my favorite things about this home is that the view out of every window is wonderful.

Not One More Day!

Ricks503's picture

We went to a strret of dreams showing this past weekend.  6 new houses on 5 acre lots with most of the bells and whistles.  One had a secret pantry ( a cupboard open on a hinge to get into it ( had lost of storage space, plus a 2nd fridge and room for freezer)

Price?  Ranging from 2.4 Million to 3.6 million as I recall.

Here is a link to the site that has the floor plans, some info and artist rendering of each one.

http://www.streetofdreamspdx.com/tourofhomes.html

I guess that this is something of a national thing and that a number of other cities do this as well.

1 - measure the board twice, 2 - cut it once, 3 - measure the space where it is supposed to go        4 - get a new board and go back to step 1

Edited 7/31/2006 2:43 pm ET by Ricks503

" There'll be no living with her now" - Captain Jack Sparrow

Marcia's picture

I especially like your cardboard floor. Will you have it sealed, or just replace the boxes as needed?

Hey, it may sound funny, but not too long ago, concrete counters would have been unthinkable. What I find unthinkable about them, is how much they cost.

The veiw is really beautiful...you will enjoy this kitchen.

dicus's picture

My brother (with me as assistant) is thinking about making them himself. He has done a budget analysis and it works out to about $800 for everything and about a month's worth of weekends. I guess if you have plenty of time and some do-it-yourself attitude you can get them cheap.