NEW! Google Custom Search

Super super superb owl

MadMom's picture

Wow!  What can I say.  The fourth quarter was some of the best most exciting football I've seen.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Adele's picture

Exciting to the last second. 

I thought for sure that guy had a heart attack....after his 100 (ONE HUNDRED) yard touchdown. A Super Bowl first!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

MadMom's picture

Me, too...that would have made it two super bowl firsts, wouldn't it?

Not One More Day!

DJ's picture

The sight of an NFL player sucking on an oxygen mask after that run made me giggle. They are more like the rest of us non-athletes than one would suspect!

Democracy has to be more than two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to have for dinner-James Bovard

Edited 2/1/2009 11:11 pm by DJ

If you eat pasta and antipasta, are you still hungry?

paretsky's picture

That was, for me, a real high point in a game that was otherwise marred by several rather nasty incidents. It seemed to me like there were a lot of personal fouls in this game.

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

CulinaryArtist's picture

I saw the first half, then had to drive to Manhattan to pick up DW from the train, returning from RI.  Spent most of the 4th Quarter listening to it on the radio in the car waiting for a parking space, parked and by the time we came upstairs AZ was AHEAD!  Missed it!  Then watched the end!  Great game.

Jimbo the TRAVELING CULINARY ARTIST

http//:www.travelingculinaryartist.com

Lee's picture

I was reading and had the game on mute so I could occasionally catch a commerical (I thought they were mostly dumb) and the half time show.  I looked up when I heard DH yelling from another room where he was watching it and I saw that incredible interception return.  Wow!  I joined him after AZ took the lead and watched the rest of the game.  One of the most exciting finishes I can remember.  I felt bad for AZ, they came soooooo close. 

CulinaryArtist's picture

I applaud AZ they showed up, and showed their best ability and almost made it, nothing to be ashamed of, it would have been great if the true underdog had won, but for them to keep it so close is miraculous in itself.

Lee's picture

True enough.

MadMom's picture

I know.  I was rooting for Pittsburgh, just because I knew Jillsifer and her son were, but when Arizona went ahead with so little time left, and the announcer said that never, in the history of the superb owl had anyone come back to win it after more than a 10 point deficit (they had 13) I was sort of pulling for them.  Must admit, though, I sure was glad to see that touchdown pass with less than a minute to go!

Not One More Day!

teebee's picture

I was born a Steelers fan (in Pittsburgh), so of course I was rooting for the Steelers. I will admit, however, that I was feeling bad for the Cardinals going into the game (okay, I was a bit over-confident). Kurt Warner is a great guy, and the team has not won a super bowl, so had they been playing anyone but my Steelers, I would have been rooting for them. I mean, it's not like the Steelers were playing Dallas;)!!

We were watching the game in our fellowship hall at church, so it was projected on to big screens at the front and back of the room. I ran the whole 100 yards with James Harrison. My friend kept saying, "I think he's hurt." I told her, "He's not hurt (although he commented that he "stung" his neck a little), he just can't breathe! He's a defesive guy, he's not supposed to run that far. Ever." I also was thinking that possibly the air/heat would have been a factor, as he's used to playing in the cold. He also said that afterward.

I would, however, have given the MVP to Ben. I said that he was going to have a good game. I think that was a tough call, as Santonio had a great game, as did James Harrison.

Gretchen's picture

Ben--and other quraterbacks--have "good" games because of their receivers!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
MadMom's picture

True, in some cases.  Receivers make catches they should never make, of balls which are thrown over their heads or to the side, etc., but they also miss easy catches which bounce off their numbers.  It is a partnership, and one side cannot succeed without the other. 

Not One More Day!

Gretchen's picture

Agreed, but it is Ben that's gonna be the Hall of Famer eventually--and is making the big bucks. That catch got the win--Ben even thought it had been intercepted!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
teebee's picture

ITA--Ben is sure to be in HOF, and he got a lot of awards his first season. Also, James Harrison is going to the Pro-Bowl and was defensive player of the year, so it's nice for Santonio to get the honor. You're right--Ben thought that the defender was going to intercept, and he gave credit to Santonio. S had a great season--he's been a factor all year, and in the playoffs. He didn't choke when the game was on the line. Ben just gets a lot of criticism when they don't win, so he should get credit when they do. On steelers.com, you can vote for who should get the game ball. When I voted yesterday, 52% of those who voted gave it to Ben, 46% to Santonio, and a few votes for James Harrison, one for Heath Miller (probably his mom--kidding, he had a decent game, as he always does).

Incidentally, my 9-yo DS has several Steelers jerseys. He chose to wear #10 because he said, "Santonio's going to make a great catch."

Gretchen's picture

Very neat--and all you said is right too.  Ben went to my alma mater, Miami (the real one!!).

When he was in that accident I said what a dumba$$--but, of course prayed he was gonna be OK.

Gretchen
Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

That was a great game. And I did better in the office pool than I usually do, I was the square next to the square that won the $200 at the end of the game. Ohhh so close.

Very exciting game, I feel a little bad for Arizona fans though.

Jillsifer's picture

There's not a fingernail left in this house.

SIXBURGH, baby!!! Wooooo-hooooo!!!!

January: the dead zone

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

leonap's picture

What's all the hullabaloo about an owl???

Sorry, Sally. ;-)

Jean's picture

It's superb!

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
SallyBR1's picture

Well, darn it all.

We got home when the game was just over. Basically we missed the whole d@mn thing.

Amazingly enough, I was the one who wanted to watch, hubby is burned for pro football, only seems to care for college games. Unless the Packers are playing, but now without Favre, not even in that case.

anyway, I might sit through it tonight to watch the commercials and the final quarter, which according to everyone was the best part.

such bad luck... dinner out on Super Sunday

(pout some more)

courgette's picture

I saw the last 49 seconds...the longest 49 seconds of my life what with all the timeouts. I told hubby that was all I needed to see......of  course he disagreed.

Mo

mulch52's picture

I confess, I was kind of rooting for AZ--turns out I wanted a good thing for Kurt Warner way more than I wished for a Big Fat Bad Thing for owner Bill Bidwill.  That was the kind of football the Cardinals played in STL once upon a time, inspiring the nickname Cardiac Cardinals.  On the whole, the kind of game the NFL wants all the time, but especially at season's end!

<sigh> no football, and baseball is still a ways off....

kathymcmo's picture

That means it's time for college basketball! Go Heels.

Gretchen's picture

We better hope they remember to show up for EVERY game!!  No one seems to want to be #1 this year!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

I know! I don't get to see all the games here because some aren't televised nationally, but I'm worried at how closely seemingly worse teams play them in the first half. Then the Heels come back strong in the second half, but it's a dangerous habit to get into.

The next game I'll get to watch is vs Duke next Wednesday, we'll see how the Heels respond.

It has been odd to have a new No. 1 every week.

Gretchen's picture

And all from NC!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

It's b-ball heaven