NEW! Google Custom Search

Super Bowl commercials

Florida2's picture

Thanks! Thats a fun link for those of us who are not watching the actual game :)

Gretchen's picture

You KNOW that is unAmerican, don't you!!  LOL

Gretchen

Gretchen
Aberwacky's picture

We didn't watch it (don't have cable or satellite, and can't pick up the Little Rock stations even with an antenna).  Missed seeing the commercials, but we did have the Buffalo Chicken Dip in honor of the game--it just seems like the perfect Superb Owl food.

Leigh

"Miss Piggy is not a very good singer, but she's a great fighter." -Grant

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
kathymcmo's picture

Not one remarkable commercial this year, at least from what I saw.

Lee's picture

IA, although we thought the one with the moose head was hilarious.  Also liked the Coke ad with the insects and the Clydesdale ads, but I always do.

Edited 2/2/2009 7:43 pm ET by lee

Adele's picture

Those three were the ones I really liked too! (And I despise the taste of Coke- LOL)

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

kathymcmo's picture

I don't remember the moosehead one, the Coke with the insects one was good computer graphics but the premise of insects wanting to drink Coke bothered me. The only one I liked, and now I can't remember which company it was, so it's not a good sign of an effective ad, was early on when they showed the parts of a little league field coming to life.

The Clyesdales (sp?) seemed a rehash to me, not original.

teebee's picture

Loved the Clydesdale fetching the branch. I also loved the "Mean Troy" Coke commercial that was a parody on the Mean Joe Greene commercial from the 70's. All of the adult Steelers fans (we were at church watching on the big screen) applauded at that one, but the kids didn't get it. Other than that, they were pretty ho-hum.

Jillsifer's picture

I also loved the "Mean Troy" Coke commercial that was a parody on the Mean Joe Greene commercial from the 70's.

I loved that too, especially consider how gentle Polamalu is reported to be in real life. My son liked it too--I had shown him the Joe Greene commercial when we first heard that the parody was coming up. (He has one of the Greene throwback jerseys.)

Which reminds me. I should go order my Franco Harris jersey, shouldn't I?

No, I will be strong. I will resist.

But I really want it.

But I think I want a big, fat savings balance more.

GEE, I've enjoyed our little chat. Thank you for restraining me! ;-)

January: the dead zone

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

MadMom's picture

I guess it's too late to encourage you, isn't it?  Just think how happy you'll be with your new high savings balance!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Jillsifer's picture

Yeah. It is. Hey, Sharon, you know me. You KNOW I need to be doing this.

I have a target amount in mind. When the savings balance is there, I get to spend a measly $200 on something silly/shallow/self-indulgent. The Franco Harris jersey will probably be that item.

February: All hail the groundhog!

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

MadMom's picture

I think that this day and age we all need to be more careful.  Ray and I are both retired, with minimal investments in stocks, so doubt if we'll really be hurt much, but still, it's hard seeing people we care about get in trouble.  Good for you for setting a goal.  You may find that when you get there, the shirt is no longer that important!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

teebee's picture

I read an article about the scouts who signed Troy. Since he was at USC, they didn't get to meet him in person, just watched films. When they talked to him, they were stunned at how soft spoken and gentle he was, and they thought, "No way, this can't be the same guy we are watching." They almost didn't sign him, because they weren't convinced they were talking to the right guy.

I caved in last week and bought a #7 jersey. I wanted #43, but I also wanted a road white like they would be wearing. Our local Olympia (I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere) only had one jersey that actually fit me. I wore it to church Sunday (I was informed it was "jersey Sunday"). Several people had on jerseys. $80 was bad enough. One friend had a #20: Rocky Bleier, my all-time favorite (although I think that he's had the jersey for 30 years).

BTW, my "Playoff pierogi" were a bit hit, and apparently brought good luck. I took about 4 dozen to the party at church, and all but about 3 were gone. I would eat one whenever the Steelers needed luck (I had one just before Harrison returned the int 100 yards). I ate the very last one with 1:30 left of the clock. It worked! That is what I am officially calling my pierogi recipe: "Playoff Pierogi." I've never seen people eat them with their fingers, though.