NEW! Google Custom Search

Join us 2 Convey your thoughts on Palin?

Florida2's picture

Here is an email making its rounds amongst women. Feel free to email to womensaynopalin@gmail.com per the advice below.

Subject: Women Against Sarah Palin

Friends, compatriots, fellow-lamenters, We are writing to you because of the fury and dread we have felt since the announcement of Sarah Palin as the Vice-Presidential candidate for the Republican Party. We believe that this terrible decision has surpassed mere partisanship, and that it is a dangerous farce-on the part of a pandering and rudderless Presidential candidate-that has a real possibility of becoming fact. Perhaps like us, as American women, you share the fear of what Ms. Palin and her professed beliefs and proven record could lead to for ourselves and for our present or future daughters. To date, she is against sex education, birth control, the pro-choice platform, environmental protection, alternative energy development, freedom of speech (as mayor she wanted to ban books and attempted to fire the librarian who stood against her), gun control, the separation of church and state, and polar bears. To say nothing of her complete lack of real preparation to become the second-most-powerful person on the planet. We want to clarify that we are not against Sarah Palin as a woman, a mother, or, for that matter, a parent of a pregnant teenager, but solely as a rash, incompetent, and all together devastating choice for Vice President. Ms. Palin's political views are in every way a slap in the face to the accomplishments that our mothers and grandmothers and great-grandmothers so fiercely fought for, and that we've so demonstrably benefited from. First and foremost, Ms. Palin does not represent us. She does not demonstrate or uphold our interests as American women. It is presumed that the inclusion of a woman on the Republican ticket could win over women voters. We want to disagree, publicly.

Therefore, we invite you to reply here < womensaynopalin=< mailto:womensaynopalin@gmail.com > with a short, succinct message about why you, as a woman living in this country, do not support this candidate as second-in-command for our nation. Please include your name (last initial is fine), age, and place of residence. We will post your responses on a blog called 'Women Against Sarah Palin,' which we intend to publicize as widely as possible. Please send us your reply at your earliest convenience-the greater the volume of responses we receive, the stronger our message will be. Thank you for your time and action. VIVA! Sincerely, Ellen Rosten womensaynopalin@gmail.com **PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY! If you send this to 20 women in the next hour, you could be blessed with a country that takes your concerns seriously. Stranger things have happened.

Isabelle Rapin, M.D.
Professor, Neurology and Pediatrics (Neurology)
K 807, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx NY 10461 USA

Edited 9/11/2008 5:36 pm ET by Florida2

roz's picture

Regarding polar bears, they are not 'endangered' but their habitat is endangered. Read this.

http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/mmm/polarbear/issues.htm

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
AnnL's picture

Thank you, that was going to be next search.  :-)

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

thecooktoo's picture

Why does she need to be pro gun control.  Wolf hunting from airplanes is not only legal, but encouraged in Alaska because I understand that wolves are not only dangerous, but overly abundant in the populated areas.

There are an awful lot of people opposed to explicit sex education in the schools, feeling that the responsibility belongs to the parents.

Jim

AnnL's picture

Why does she need to be pro gun control. 

She doesn't.  But, again, you claimed that many/most of the claims in the letter were lies.  We're just proving to you that they're not.  

Ann

Ann

smslaw's picture

I understand that wolves are not only dangerous,

????  Wolves are hunted because they kill too many moose and caribou, leaving fewer for hunters to kill.  I'd be willing to bet that far more Alaskans are killed by Moose (mostly auto collsions) than by wolves, polar bears and all other other mammals put together (other than humans, of course). Here's a little non sequitur from the Alaska Dept. of fish & game:

The Alaska Board of Game approves wildlife regulations through a public participation process. When the Board determines that people need more moose and/or caribou in a particular area, and restrictions on hunting aren't enough to allow prey populations to increase, predator control programs may be needed. Wolf hunting and trapping rarely reduces wolf numbers enough to increase prey numbers or harvests.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=wolf.control

Even though it doesn't solve the alleged problem, they encourage "sportsmen" to shoot them from airplanes.

AnnL's picture

She sued the Federal Government to remove the polar bear from the endangered species list.  That is against polar bears and against the environment. She also supports wolf shoots from low flying airplanes.  :-(

She asked the librarian how the librarian would respond if someone asked her to remove certain books.  When the librarian made it clear that she would NOT remove any books that were procurred according to the accepted guidelines, she terminated the librarian a couple of weeks later.  She CLAIMS it had nothing to do with the censorship, but she also CLAIMS she said "Thanks but no thanks" to the money for the bridge to nowhere, which, we know is a lie. 

She has done nothing to promote or encourage alternative energy, not suprising since Alaska gets so much money from the oil companies.  If you can provide evidence to dispute this, please do.

She thinks Creationism should be taught in public schools.  In a 2006 gubernatorial debate she said that she supports "clergy endorsing candidates for office from the pulpit".

She  has said that any sex education other than abstinence in schools will not get support from her.  Abstinence only does not support birth control as birth control is not needed when abstaining from sex.  This also in 2006 gubernatorial debates.

She's a member of NRA in good standing, so we know she's against gun control.

Just google and you'll find references. 

Ann

Ann

Florida2's picture

I am not sure why people are concerned about how she wears her hair. I couldnt care less about a candidates hairdo. Its what lies under the hair that matters to me.

thecooktoo's picture

How do clergy endorsing candidates from the pulpit translate to teaching creationism.  BTW, there is a very large movement now bringing action against the IRS to change the rule relating to endorsing candidates from the pulpit.

Jim

AnnL's picture

It doesn't.  Where did I say that?  My point there was the separation of Church and State seems to be blurred with her.  Creationism is a religious viewpoint, shouldn't be taught in public school, she thinks it should.  Clergy shouldn't be involved in politics, IMHO. Just because there is a move for that, it's not something that everyone is for. 

These are the reasons stated in the letter from Women Against Sarah Palin.  You claimed they were lies.  I was simply providing you with some info to prove that they are not false, as you claimed.  I don't care whether you or others agree or disagree with Sarah Palin's stance.  I do not agree with them and  that's why I will support Women Against Sarah Palin.   

Ann

Ann

thecooktoo's picture

I have yet to see anywhere that Palin wants to see creationism taught in the schools.  Personally, I think that should be a decision of the local school system with input from the parents, but that's another issue.  Why is the line blurred realted to separation of church and state.

I never claimed anything was a lie.  I have never accused anybody on this forum of lying, at any time over any issue.  I may take issue with something but would never presume to judge another person by saying they are lying.  I may not agree with them, but I certainly would never accuse them of lying.  I do think that whoever wrote that letter is full of horse hockey and is a very misguided, extremely left wing radical feminist.  There, I said it.  But I did not call her a liar.

Jim

AnnL's picture

Ok,  you said "mis-statement".  :-)

I have yet to see anywhere that Palin wants to see creationism taught in the schools.

Just google it!  Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's out there.  If you're going to say something is a mis-statement, check on it first.  It's not that hard to google.  :-)  We present our reasons for why we are against Palin and you just hand wave them away as mis-statements because you haven't taken the time to find out about her.  Her just accept what McCain and Palin tell you.  Research. Learn for  yourself.  I'm not trying to change your mind about her and McCain, I know you're going to vote for them.  But, don't dismiss me and others for having our reasons to not like her as a VP pick.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Palin also supports teaching creationism in public schools, though she does not believe it should be mandatory."

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/elections/story/8347904p-8243554c.html

Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

I do think that whoever wrote that letter is full of horse hockey and is a very misguided, extremely left wing radical feminist.

You're welcome to  your opinion, but I disagree.  :-)  Since her reasons for being against Palin have all been confirmed, how is she full of horse hockey?  And misguided? 

Ann

Ann

smslaw's picture

I agree with Palin on this one. Creationism should be taught in every science class in America, right along with evolution.  I can't think of anything that would expose the idiocy of fundamentalist religious dogma more than exposing it to critical analysis in schools.  The right should be careful what it wishes for.

AnnL's picture

Oh, my!  Interesting position I  haven't heard before. 

Ann

Ann

chefd's picture

I have one question and I am not trying to start a fight.  Why is it that most here think the Gov. can not devote enough time  to her family?  She can not be a strong woman with a family and a career.  I seem to remember when the Speaker of the House was sworn in she was praised for her balance of career and 5 kids and I think 7 grandkids.  What pray tell is the difference?  Sorry about the pray part.

Chefd

moxie's picture

FWIW, I think most here have said even if they do not agree with Governor Palin politically, *or* would make the same decision about running for president with 5 chdldren, they think that is an irrelevant part of the discussion about her.

However, since you brought up the comparison, Nancy Pelosi did not run for public office until her youngest child was a senior in high school. Her children were in a little different life stage than Gov. Palin's. 

"I have always relied on the kindness of strangers." - Blanche Dubois

Jean's picture

Then all the mothers working a 40 hour week should quit their jobs and stay at home? It should NOT be an issue.

A merry heart does good like a medicine: Prov. 22:17

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MadMom's picture

Frankly, IMO, it is NOT an issue.  I worked during most of my children's younger life, and I would never ever question a woman's decision on that item.  I just happen to disagree with virtually every policy position she holds, which is why I oppose her.  That has nothing to do with whether she has 2 or 20 children, went back to work the day after they were born or waited until they were in high school.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Florida2's picture

Jean, we arent talking 40 hour work week here if she is running for VP. She will be traveling extensively for significant numbers of hours away from the children. If the father is a Mr. Mom, then no problem. But if he isnt, I feel sorry for the kids. Hwoever, that would not influence my vote for her. Her mothering skills do not concern me, its her positions of strategic issues and her lack of experience that worries me.

kathymcmo's picture

Her ability to work and still mother her children is not an issue with me at all. But you make a good point, whomever is elected VP better plan on working a heck of a lot more than 40 hours a week! I know I do and I just work in Marketing Communications, not on war planning and nuclear arms negotiations.

She would be considered an exempt employee, no? <G>

Gretchen's picture

YOU are wrong.  Her kids can be very adequately cared for. IT SHOULD NO LONGER BE AN ISSUE.  

LEAVE IT.

She herself is not adequate to the job--and if she is, let her prove it. She is glib, she can "learn".  BUT do I ever want her to be PRESIDENT. NO

Gretchen
Gretchen
JoeB2's picture

Given a choice, I'd rather have her face on my TV than Biden's.

I think both camps are right.. both the democrat and GOP options suck.

evelyn's picture

Hey Joe - long time no hear.  Whatchabeendoing?

There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it - it is like falling in love.  Christopher Morley

In life, learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.
JoeB2's picture

ohhhh much of the same but I had to stop swimming. I started to develop shoulder problems with my rotator cuff and then completely tore it between tripping over the dog on the steps and then going surfing. So now I am recovering and counting the months before I can get back into the pool.

I was thinking of you last week actually. I had to go to Dallas for business and we went to good Greek restaurant and I thought "these Dolmas are not as good as evelyn's" :)

evelyn's picture

get well soon, Joe!  Such a nice thing to say about the dolma.  Thanks. :-)

There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it - it is like falling in love.  Christopher Morley

In life, learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.
avak123's picture

I love you Joe!

Just returned from a kinder-gentler Toronto and have a more humorous opinion on our screwed up political scenario.

Having a tough time with the reality that, FOR ME, this election is really a case of the lesser of two evils.

Truly breaks my heart.

moxie's picture

Jean, did you even read the first part of my post?

Jean's picture

Sorry, I didn't mean to address that comment to you.

A merry heart does good like a medicine: Prov. 22:17

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
moxie's picture

I'm sorry, too. Worried about a baby brother riding out the storm and taking things too personally.

shywoodlandcreature's picture

I'm honestly not sure anyone here has said that, but if so, I'd say they're wrong -- a woman is equally capable as a man of raising a large family and undertaking a demanding career. In fact, I'd argue that having five children actually eases the burden somewhat, since, in my experience, in large families the older children very often assume more responsibility than children from smaller families.

"lucky in love; unlucky in metabolism"
unknown

AnnL's picture

Actually, when the decision was first announced several posters here DID criticize her for leaving the baby after 3 days to go back to work and some felt that having a 17 yo pregnant daughter was also some indication of poor parenting which somehow translated into not being qualified to be VP.  I said from the beginning those are her family decisions and have no bearing on her qualifications or ability to do her job, any job.  

I don't think she's capable of being VP for a whole lot of other reasons!  ;-)

Ann

Ann