NEW! Google Custom Search

McCain's turn

msm-s's picture

In a speech by someone i didn't recognize, he was just referred to as "America's go-to guy" WTF?

msm-s's picture

Oy. we're going to be hearing that song by Heart a whole lot for the next few months.
McCain sure relied heavily on Palin's popularity in that speech.

LOL- a commentator is saying that there were lots of references to other acceptance speeches, but they were all Democrats. I'm pretty tired; I admit I had a hard time concentrating.

Marie Louise's picture

Didn't watch-just took a peek at the internet coverage. To paraphrase Tracy, I already know who I'm voting for.

Lime Green backdrop. Really.

No flag pin. Hmmmm.

BTW, Obama held his own on O'Reilly tonight. BillO congratulated him on being right about the war, and giving a good speech, and Bill didn't sound too flattering to McCain in a few places. All in all, it was fair and Obama got to get his message out to a lot of people who might not otherwise listen.

msm-s's picture

LOL, I suppose burnout is taking hold. I really like to at least try to hear the other side through the end of the second convention, but me brain 'urts.

that's good about the Obama interview. I am getting a sense that despite some mudslinging and some "appealing to the base" stuff, both sides have a sense that it is high time to soften the partisan divide.

Marie Louise's picture

I plan on watching all the debates!

Risottogirl's picture

Damn, I missed O'Reilly...and you say he was FAIR? That's a first. Wow, maybe he is secretly voting for Obama.

He is such a BABY which is why he generally annoys me to no end but I just cannot resist watching him sometimes. Just can't help myself.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Edited 9/5/2008 8:30 am ET by Risottogirl

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Marie Louise's picture

You can watch it here: http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/

I didn't watch the commentary afterwards, just the interview. And I thought he did a great job of explaining his views on the surge.

AJ12754's picture

But did you catch the big building in the background while McCain was talking? That lime green background was the grass ....

From Talking Points Media website:

A lot of people were asking tonight: what the hell was that mansion up behind John McCain tonight during the first part of the speech? As I noted below, the TV close-ups only showed McCain's head against the grass in the picture, which made it look like he was reprising his famed green screen performance. And when they panned out, it looked like McCain was showing off one of his mansions.

Well, several readers have written in to tell me that the building is actually the main building on the campus of the Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, California. And sure enough, this page on the school's website makes it pretty clear that they're correct.

You can compare below ...

So it's not a mansion, but a middle school. But that still doesn't answer the question of why they picked this picture to have him standing in front of -- when I would imagine that 99.9% of the US population would have no idea what they were looking at.

(ed.note: Thanks to TPM Readers JR and EK for cluing us in.)

Late Update: I'm surprised this hadn't occurred to me. But several readers have suggested that perhaps one of the tech geeks charged with setting up the audio/visual bells and whistles for the evening was tasked with getting pictures of Walter Reed Army Medical Center but goofed and got this instead. At first I thought, No, that's ridiculous. This is a major political party with big time professionals putting this together. Nothing is left to chance. I mean, is this the RNC or a scene out Spinal Tap or Waiting for Guffman? I still have a bit of a hard time believing they're quite that incompetent. But when you figure in what appears to be the utter lack of any logic for this school being behind McCain and the fact that it has 'Walter Reed' in its name, I'm really not sure you can discount this possibility.

(ed.note: Special bonus snark: That's not stock photo keyword searching we can believe in.)

The trouble today is that almost everyone is famous and almost no-one is interesting. (paraphrased Tina Brown)

Edited 9/5/2008 9:31 am ET by aj12754

Cave obdurationem cordis

Marie Louise's picture

Is his staff secretly trying to hurt him?

Edited to add, I read somewhere that Sarah Palin's teleprompter didn't work right the day before because it was new equipment and they hadn't used it before. (It apparently went so fast it cut off the first sentence of every paragraph.) Also, no one had printed the latest draft of her speech for her to use as a backup in case there were teleprompter issues. That makes her delivery more impressive, but honestly, if that was your job, wouldn't you have practiced and practiced and practiced using that teleprompter? And printed her a copy of the speech in a nice binder?

Edited 9/5/2008 9:58 am by Marie Louise

AJ12754's picture

Good question...somebody's gonna get fired if this hits the mainstream press -- which it will because Jon Stewart and the Daily Show and the cable outlets check TPM a couple of times a day...

The trouble today is that almost everyone is famous and almost no-one is interesting. (paraphrased Tina Brown)

Cave obdurationem cordis

msm-s's picture

THAT'S hilarous! I was wondering what the earlier "lime green" comment was about; I didn't notice because I was altering school uniforms while I listened. The mix up about the vet hospital has to be the reason, LOL. Plus, maybe they think subliminally the green color would hyp-mo-tize centerists into thinking McCain is the eco-friendly choice.

I do recall that at the end, the crowd was going nuts and so loud they were drowning him out. I was seriously wondering if they had just heard the same speech I had. What McCain had to say made me respect what he's been through, but as y'all said, not much meat. Whipping up enthusiasm with lots about his heroism and devotion to country, lots of Palin this and Palin that.

Gretchen's picture

They were yelling because of his saying "Stand up for ------, over and over, it wasn't particularly the entire address.

Gretchen

Gretchen
msm-s's picture

I know, I heard that, but again, it was like "I'm a war hero! and look at the cool VP! Stand up for America!"
Patriotic catchphrases, but where's the beef?

samchang's picture

Good grief! That's the middle school I went to!

It's in Studio City, CA--definitely not a GOP stronghold.

msm-s's picture

I just had a thought-
Given McCain's well-known LACK of support for vets' medical issues, is it possible that Walter Reed (the correct one, not the middle school) didn't want their facility to be exploited by McCain? The cameras sure focussed on older vets in the audience, and war service is the best thing by far that he has going for him.
I don't know, but is it possible WR could sue if McCain used the hospital's image without permission to promote himself?

MadMom's picture

I can't imagine that they would sue, but sure wonder why a middle school was picked.  I just can't believe the staff is that stupid.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

shoechick's picture

I heard on the way to work this morning that Heart has issued a Cease and Desist order on using Barracuda, thank God!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

msm-s's picture

ROTFLMAO!
So McCain DOES use the arts without paying for permission, that rascally maverick!.

shoechick's picture

I don't understand why they're are trying to attach this "Barracuda" "Pit Bull" analogy to her.   In the VP role, don't you want someone with international diplomacy?  As much as I might not agree with everything Condoleezza Rice does, she's a very intelligent women without having to project the image that she's tough as nails and enjoys spitting them.  I have nothing against her personally, her private life, whatever, I just think she's been nominated for all the wrong reasons and find that sad.

thecooktoo's picture

It is traditional in both parties for the VP nominee to be the "pit bull" for the team.  The Presdiential candidate then can stay above the fray and let the veep do all the slashing and burning.  Been that way for years.

Jim

shoechick's picture

Oh, I thought Cheney was a lap dog?  Am I getting my breeds mixed up?

thecooktoo's picture

No, lap dogs come AFTER the election.

Jim

MadMom's picture

Then, Bush must be the lap dog, LOL.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

msm-s's picture

that's what i was thinking, but i'm trying to be good 0 :-) (see my halo?)

shoechick's picture

Mine's in for cleaning :)

msm-s's picture

they tarnish fast, don't they?

shoechick's picture

big time lately :)

msm-s's picture

I suspect they are overcompensating for the fact that she's a "babe".

shoechick's picture

Even sadder :(

KarenP's picture

Sarah Barracuda was a nick name when she played sports in high school.  I heard it on the way to work this morning.

msm-s's picture

That's why back in post #2 I said we're going to hear that song by Heart ("Barracuda") a lot :-)
The nickname came out the same day the news of her nomination did, IIRC . I think Shoechick knew that but was just commenting on how the press is playing up her aggressive, tough image.
I am so very glad that Heart put the kibosh on the Reps using that song! I can't believe they never got permission in the first place; maybe they knew they wouldn't and used it once without asking to get it on one glorious time during the broadcast.