NEW! Google Custom Search

Napie's picture

The polls.. (post #50781)

Pollster John Zogby: "Palin is not to be underestimated. Her real strength is that she is authentic, a real mom, an outdoors person, a small town mayor (hey, she has dealt with a small town city council - that alone could be preparation for staring down Vladimir Putin, right?). She is also a reformer."

"A very important demographic in this election is going to be the politically independent woman, 15% of whom in our latest survey are undecided."

"In the final analysis, this election will be about Obama vs. McCain. Obama has staked out ground as the new JFK - a new generation, literally and figuratively, a new face of America to the world, a man who can cross lines and work with both sides. But McCain is the modern day Harry Truman - with lots of DC experience, he knows what is wrong and dysfunctional with Washington and how to fix it, and he has chosen a running mate who is about as far away from Washington as he could find.

"This contest is likely to be very close until the weekend before the election - then the dam may break and support may flood one way or the other."

The interactive survey shows that 22% of those voters who supported Democrat Hillary Clinton in their primary elections or caucus earlier this year are now supporting John McCain.

Among those who said they shop regularly at Wal-Mart - a demographic group that Zogby has found to be both "value" and "values" voters - Obama is getting walloped by McCain. Winning 62% support from weekly Wal-Mart shoppers, McCain wins these voters at a rate similar to what President Bush won in 2004. Obama wins 24% support from these voters.

Other demographic details are fairly predictable, showing that the McCain/Palin ticket heads into its convention on Monday with numbers that may fuel an optimism they may not have expected, and that many would not have predicted, especially after Obama's speech Thursday night.

Heather's picture

The SNL writers must be a joyous bunch right now. Lots of fodder on both sides but I think Sarah will be prominently featured.

AJ12754's picture

ah -- but who will play her?  Kristine Wiig? 

The trouble today is that almost everyone is famous and almost no-one is interesting. (paraphrased Tina Brown)

Cave obdurationem cordis

dorcast's picture

I cast voices for TV Funhouse on Saturday Night Live.
Last year I had to find sound alikes for the bunch, when the pool still included Kucinich, Dodd, Romney, etc
I suppose I should start thinking of Sarah Palin sound alikes.

Heather's picture

A year is a very long time isn't it.

dorcast's picture

Oh yes. I look forward to seeing this season's scripts.

Marie Louise's picture

John McCain said that the bridge to nowhere was responsible for that Minnesota bridge collapsing. Yes, he did.

I guess no one told him Sarah kept the money; apparently she say no thanks to the bridge but not to the money, LOL.

I guess that makes it Sarah's fault?

I can hear Jon Stewart's laugh already.

Heather's picture

I liked the fellow who said that what she actually said was "YES PLEASE" then "Thank You very much" then "Thanks, but no thanks for the bridge BUT Thanks anyway for the cash!!"

MadMom's picture

I'm just amazed at all the lies.  Cannot we discuss the issues?  Instead, we have to pretend offense at the "lipstick on a pig" although McCain has used that expression at least three times, we have to discuss her snarl and Obama's elitism...cannot we discuss important things like the economy, health care, the war?

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Heather's picture

They'd much rather deal with the peripheral cr*p. Then they don't have to tackle the issues.

kathymcmo's picture

What bugging me the most is how complicit the media, esp the TV folks, are in focusing on the outrage du jour instead of the issues. We've got the Internet, 24-hour cable news channels, local news, national news, and they've all got to cover the same dang lipsticked pig "story." All those resources and they can only cover one story???

I understand why the campaigns push this stuff, and why it sells to some voters, but why the heck can't at least some media outlets say that they aren't going to give this stuff more than a moment and get back to reporting on the actual issues that will affect Americans? If the media didn't feed the beast, the nonissues would fade away for lack of attention.

I guess maybe the News Hour is the one outlet that shows some journalistic judgment in this regard.

Heather's picture

I totally agree with you. The press encourages this ridiculousness and the whole country suffers. Let's get to the issues. McCain puts lipstick on pigs, Obama puts lipstick on pigs--it's a draw. MOVE ON!!
The good news is that Obama is at least fighting back.

Heather's picture

Did you hear the piece they just did on NPR? Hilarious! First they played tape of McCain, Cheney and Rangel using "lipstick on a pig" and then interviewed a farmer who was in a field actually putting lipstick on a pig. His opinion was that the pig still looked like a pig, although maybe a cummerbund and Birkenstocks might help.

OK, time to move on!

Edited 9/10/2008 9:26 pm by Heather

kathymcmo's picture

No I didn't hear it but it sounds hilarious. Birkenstocks!

Even McCain's daughter said today that her father uses that phrase often.  Why anyone still laughs at the old tired line is beyond me, but as Obama says, enough is enough.

I read an article last week that said that Bush administration officials and others in the national security arena have concerns that the new president of Pakistan (Bhutto's husband) has medical records indicating signs of dementia and severe PTSD stemming from being imprisoned and tortured. He's now in charge of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal, right next door to Afghanistan, which grows more unstable by the day. Couldn't we talk about that??

Sigh.

Heather's picture

That's really scary! There are so many things they should be talking about but then everyone would have to actually think.

Gretchen's picture

I don't want to talk about those supposed medical records, but we DO need to talk about how unstable the Pakistan government is, in and of itself. THAT is important enough for reasons you gave.  The BBC has been talking about this for months now and indicates it is NOT getting much press in the US and how important it is.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Biscuit's picture

What bugging me the most is how complicit the media, esp the TV folks, are in focusing on the outrage du jour instead of the issues. We've got the Internet, 24-hour cable news channels, local news, national news, and they've all got to cover the same dang lipsticked pig "story." All those resources and they can only cover one story???

ITA!!!  Funny you should say that and the way you say it, because I sent a nasty-gram to MSNBC yesterday slamming them for exactly that.  Told them they were supposed to be a NEWS organization, not Access Hollywood, and if they didn't start reporting the NEWS instead of having day long "analyze the latest he-said-she-said" BS all over what is supposed to be politics, I was just going to keep my TV off and get my news off of the internet.

I told them they were embarrassing themselves, too (G).

Honestly!  Chris Matthews spend an HOUR talking about nothing but the "lipstick" issue - and the thought it was BS, too, but he still spent an hour talking about it and analyzing it to DEATH!  It's insane!

I used to watch my politics on TV, but lately since they've gotten so Teen-Beat, I've gone more and more to my computer.  They better straighten up. 

No wonder more people turn to Jon Stewart.

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

AnnL's picture

No wonder more people turn to Jon Stewart.

I was talking to a friend last night about Palin's first interview with Gibson tonight.  She said something about Gibson would probably be easy on her.  I said, yes, I'ld really rather see her on Jon Stewart.  Pretty sad when a freakin' COMEDIAN answers the real questions and points out the issues.  Sigh.

I've turned the TV off, I can' stand all this inanity over the lipstick comment.  I'll watch the interview this evening, but I think I'm on overload now.

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

MadMom's picture

I know, I know.  Remember when it was a journalist's job to ask the hard questions?  Now they seem so fricking afraid of offending someone and possibly missing the next interviews, that all they lob is softballs.  I'll probably watch the interview, but don't expect to see anything of value.

Not One More Day!

Biscuit's picture

I am not going to watch it.  I will catch what is important on the Web after it's over.  Primarily because I'm annoyed that this is being handled more like a celebrity interview than a real job interview (thats not a slam to Sarah Palin, it's a slam to the network), and because I can't stand Charles Gibson.  He's not a hard-hitting political journalist. 

Dammit - where is Tim Russert when you need him?  Not that I believe they'd let her go on that show, but HE'S the kind of journalist I'd trust to handle this interview.

JMO, of course. 

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

AnnL's picture

I know, but since quite a few people WILL be watching the interview, I want to see what everyone else is seeing and drawing their opinions from.  I'll probably be screaming at the TV, but, I do want to see it.

Ann

Ann

MadMom's picture

Wouldn't Russert have been wonderful?  He would have loved this campaign, and he might have gotten rid of some of the BS.

I think one of the problems is the abundance of 24-hour news shows.  Think of how many times Jon Stewart has used them for material, just by showing clips of them saying the same stupid phrase over and over. 

I am just sick to death of the lies, the finger pointing, and the lack of discussion of the issues.

Not One More Day!

Marie Louise's picture

I happened to see that Chris Matthews show. It is true, he spent an hour on it, but in the process, he made a number of Republicans look foolish on his show. Especially the strategist at the beginning-the guy was speechless, muttered something about, "We should be talking about the issues" and Matthews came right back at him and said, "We should, but you guys brought this up and we are staying on the subject until we finish with it." He then got the guy to admit that he did not believe Obama was referring to Palin. It was a real "gotcha" moment.

Even Bill O'Reilly said it was a stupid complaint: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/10/bill-oreilly-defends-obam_n_125548.html

Perhaps I am being optimistic, but I think this was the turning point in the election-for the media, who realized they are being used, and for the American people, who just realized why the Republicans are not talking about the issues. And that Sarah is telling stories.

Edited 9/11/2008 9:39 am by Marie Louise

Biscuit's picture

I admit it - I didn't watch the whole hour.  I flicked it there, watched a minute or two where they started to discuss it, switched to M*A*S*H, then kept flicking back hoping each time they were done talking about it, they weren't, and I got peeved because the whole hour was about nothing (G).

Maybe I should have actually watched it - nahhh - M*A*S*H was more fun (g).

- Mark Twain

Marie Louise's picture

I agree with you that reading/ watching on the internet is more efficient.

So... here it is. (Sorry, first you have to watch a DISGUSTING ad for breakfast food.)

Watch at minute 5 to 7, then skip to minute 12 if you don't want to watch the whole thing: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/26646827#26646827

I really like that the Democratic spokesperson pointed out that John McCain used taxpayer's money to pay for this ad!

thecooktoo's picture

>for the media, who realized they are being used, and for the American people, who just realized why the Republicans are not talking about the issues. And that Sarah is telling stories.<

The media are not being used, they are using us.  And yes, Republicans are talking about issues.  Obama should be talking about issues and instead he is talking about Palin.  I don't believe I have ever seen a presidential candidate take on a VP candidate like Obama has.  He should be going after McCain and let Biden go after Palin.  His problem is that he can't understand how she became the focus of the campaign , instead of him continuing in that leading position. 

Let's not talk about politicians telling stories.  If we get into that contest, we all lose, because they all do it, and do it regularly.

Unfortunately Tim Russert is gone.  In his stead I would nominate Bill OReilly, he at least asks intelligent questions and hangs on for an answer and doesn't fawn all over the candidate.

Jim

Biscuit's picture

In his stead I would nominate Bill OReilly

Not for me.  He isn't a real journalist.  And most of the time he ends up talking about what HE thinks instead of asking pertinent questions.

No.  I wouldn't even watch that interview.

How about Brian Williams?  Excellent journalist, unbiased, great at interviews, does his research, non-aggressive.

I would watch that.

- Mark Twain

thecooktoo's picture

That's funny, I though Brian Williams was on the Obama staff, along with David Gregory, Chris Mathews and what's his name, Olber-whatever.  ;-)

Jim

Marie Louise's picture

I said it before and I will say it again: Bill O'Reilly did a good job interviewing Obama. (I have not watched all of the series, just two or three segments.) He asked hard questions but he was not obnoxious.

And Obama did a good job as well. He held his own with Bill, and forcefully but politely made his point of view while looking for common ground w/ Bill. Obama looked, well, like someone I'd want talking to a foreign leader whose opinion we don't agree with.

ashleyd's picture

I've said it before ad nauseam but I'm constantly amazed at how America's huge media corporations contrive and conspire to keep the public woefully uninformed.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

Heather's picture

>>I've said it before ad nauseam but I'm constantly amazed at how America's huge media corporations contrive and conspire to keep the public woefully uninformed.<<

Don't get me started on this!
Big media outlets are only interested in ratings and the vast majority of Americans seem to be interested only in trash, fluff and scandal.