NEW! Google Custom Search

Heather's picture

I bought a stainless carafe that was meant for commercial use. It had two ugly stickers--one was the NSF standard and one warned me that I could scald someone if the carafe tips over. I guess these are supposed to stay on because they were hard to get off and now I can't remove the glue residue on the stainless. I've tried oil, Goo-Gone and boiling water.

I know there is someone here who will have the answer, there always is.

Li's picture

Good idea. Thank you!

Only connect.

Only connect.

Li's picture

Some kind soul on Gatherings (starzoe) recommended Goo Gone. Anyone have any luck with that product on fabrics? I don't want to make it any worse than it is!

Only connect.

Only connect.

Jean's picture

Can you find a hidden spot to try it on first? Just to make sure it doesn't harm the fabric--actually I'd try any product this way first.

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. Mary Hirsch
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Risottogirl's picture

I have used a cleaning product called Greased Lightening on all sorts of washable fabrics and it has taken every stain out - car grease, olive oil, blood, ink.

It isn't intended for fabrics but  the first time I tried it I was desparate and had nothing to lose - the garmet was ruined anyway...and it worked! It is a regular household cleaner.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Gary's picture

I tried Greased Lightning, which is Sodium hydroxide and 2-Butoxyethanol, on my range hood. Took the paint right off.

Edited 4/16/2008 4:18 am ET by Gary

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

Lazio1954's picture

Hmm.... now that's clean!

Silvana

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill

Silvana We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill
Risottogirl's picture

Hmmm, never used it on the range hood, and I don't think I ever will, now. LOL.

I'm not sure where it came from, I don't remember buying it, but it sure does get tough stains out of laundry.

What DO you use on your range hood?

Shaye's picture

Isn't Sodium hydroxide lye? You could have unclogged drains with that stuff!

Gretchen's picture

Phosgene, green hydrogen chloride cloud, NaOH, lye, etc. etc. etc.  It's all about "dilution" or none, please.  And I would imagine that Greased Lightning would take paint off but wouldn't harm chrome/ss.

As for the ultrasuede, Li, you might look on the ultrasuede website. I kind of tried but didn't quite make it. 

Gretchen
Gretchen
knitpik's picture

Try an ice cube. I know it works with chewing gum.

chiffonade's picture

Glad you found a solution but Goo Gone has always worked great for me as well.

"Sandra Lee is the Culinary Anti-Christ and I am the Anti-Sandra Lee.  The precious moments you may take to measure a level cup of flour are NOT wasted time!"

Chiffonade

*You're a REAL person, eat REAL food."

Chiffonade

bookwyrm73's picture

This is going to sound squirrelly but what always works for me is pressing packing tape (the clear, plastic kind) onto the adhesive and then quickly pulling it away, taking the glue residue off with it.  Just don't try it on a painted surface.

To my thinking, a great librarian must have a clear head, a strong hand, and above all, a great heart ... and I am inclined to think that most of the men who will achieve this greatness will be women.   Melvil Dewey

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
Henry Ward Beecher

Heather's picture

I've never tried the packing tape--I hope I remember all these tips next time I need to deal with adhesive.

teebee's picture

I always use "Shout" or some kind of laundry stain remover to get sticker gunk off of things (like picture frames or dishes).  A little less toxic than ether or even nail polish remover.

DuzertheCat's picture

I use a commercia product called "GooGone". It has an orangy smell and color. It is a bit milder than nail polish (acetone usually) remover. A warning though, label removers will affact some plastics. So the usual warning, try it on a hidden surface.

Gretchen's picture

Li, try this. It at least tells you things you CAN use on it. Maybe the alcohol will do it.

http://www.ultrasuede.com/about/care/index.html

Gretchen
Gretchen
soupereasy's picture

So now we are on laundry. I know none of you ever get grease spatter on your clothing, but say you did what would you use? I refer to coloured cotton/poly blends which I do not put in a hot wash.

knitpik's picture

You haven't seen my clothes. I gave up on Shout. I'd be interested to hear what the experts on stain have to say. Where is Glenys, the Laundry Queen?

Jean's picture

I have a little can (no, make that a big one) of waterless hand cleaner by my washing machine that I apply to all stains with an old toothbrush. I prefer Goop. Works great, even for set in stains.

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. Mary Hirsch

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
knitpik's picture

Don't think I've seen either one but I will look. Thanks.

Jillsifer's picture

Zout.

Biscuit turned me on to it several years ago and I LOVE it.

Of course I NEVER get spatters or spills on my lovely, upmarket, supremely expensive silken designer duds (snork!), but it's great for getting stuff out of the young pasha's favorite togs. He tends to wear a lot of white but eat a lot of red, so we use it by the gallon.

Seriously. Give it a try. It's practically holy water.

I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

Heather's picture

The best thing for greasy stains is Dawn dish detergent.

kathymcmo's picture

I'm a Zout gal. Works wonders.

Risottogirl's picture

I'm telling ya greased Lightening. I get olive oil on everything.

soupereasy's picture

That is the name of the product? Greased Lightning? I thought that was a John Travolta song.

Li's picture

Thanks so much! I have to get on this before I put the coat away for the season.

Only connect.

Only connect.

bookwyrm73's picture

Whatever you do, don't use Goo Gone or any other oil-based product on fabric!  It may get the gunk off but you'll be left with an oil stain.

Ask me how I know this.  sigh

Henry Ward Beecher

Henry Ward Beecher

Heather's picture

Now you didn't read my whole post--I tried Goo Gone and it didn't work. ;-)