NEW! Google Custom Search

Gift ideas for baby girl?

kathymcmo's picture

My nephew and his wife are having their first baby in August and today learned it is a girl. (My first time as a great-aunt!) I want to get something really nice for the shower--any and all ideas welcome. I haven't bought any baby gifts for a long time.

Thanks,

K.

MadMom's picture

Have to chime in here with an idea which I thought was such a good one, although a wee bit outdated (in my day it was cloth diapers and diaper pins...new Moms are saying "WTF?")   Anyway, instead of people spending megabucks on gift wrapping, wrap the baby gift in something useful.  As I said, in my day, it was different, but even today, one could use small blankets, towels, etc., and use rattles or teething rings instead of ribbons.  Same idea goes for wedding shower presents, which could be wrapped in tea towels, with wooden spoons or measuring cups for decoration.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

TracyK's picture

We employed the same principle for the baby shower I just held... rather than spend a lot of money on honeycomb-style paper decorations which wouldn't do anyone any good, we decorated with clotheslines, from which we hung baby clothes, bibs, booties and binkies. After the shower we put all the "decoration" items in a basket and handed it to the mom-to-be.

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

MadMom's picture

Such a great idea!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Star's picture

now THAT is an awesome idea!!

TracyK's picture

Sadly, it wasn't my original idea, but the idea of my brilliant friend who was in charge of decor. :-) But it was awully cute!

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

msm-s's picture

good point- burp cloths are multi-taskers and would make a great wrap.
Star- congratulations! excellent point about the fancy baby clothes. It is so tempting to give them, and everyone at the shower will ooh and ahh- but in reality, ya just don't need that many. I wound up exchanging loads of cute outfits for things i could use. unfortunately, i ran into the giver of one outfit just as i was coming out the store from returning it. Although she couldn't have known what i was doing there, i felt guilty!

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

–Jack Handey

Sammy2's picture

On the cloth diapers and pins idea, I think a wonderful gift is a few months of a diaper service.  Unlike the olden days there is no washing or rinsing to mess with, just put into a diaper pail, (also not like the old days).  Perhaps with the gift of a service more people would steer clear of the disposables.  I loved using a diaper service.  They have velcro wraps unstead of rubber pants and pins.

Gretchen's picture

I know all the stuff about the land fill, etc. And DS and DDIL were right there with the diaper service--be green.  It lasted 2 weeks. That baby had the worst diaper rash I have ever seen.  And surely you don't "just put it in the diaper pail" with no rinsing!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
Star's picture

We are using disposables, to the dismay of my Mother & Aunts.

However, I live in a municipality that has a 'green bin' pick up, where all compostables go, and diapers are included in the green bin list.

So I don't feel so bad, since they aren't going to the landfills!!

Gretchen's picture

That's great, of course. It is a huge concern, but that baby's bottom was a mess. They tried changing diapers (some sort of choice, etc.--can't remember now).

And moms need a few diapers anyway, of their own, for burp cloths. We have a cute one that is embroidered.

Gretchen
Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

These are some great ideas, thank you everyone. I still stay away from clothes, you've convinced me of that. I love the idea of a bundle of the great, classic  bedtime storybooks, think I will figure out some way to package them in something useful, maybe a basket for holding toys with some burp cloths (didn't even know about those but they sound handy).

And I'll save some of these other ideas for the actual birth day, which right now is predicted for the day before my own b-day, so that will be easy to remember. In the interim I bet I'll find out the name, might be nice to give some engraved keepsake.

Sammy2's picture

That's unfortunate for them and the little one.  We used them for 10 months until she was potty trained.

We were instructed not to clean or rinse.  Just put in the bin.

Gretchen's picture

Potty trained at 10 months? Do you also walk on water?  ;o)

Gretchen
Gretchen
Sammy2's picture

Just a stay at home mother with an only child.  She couldn't stand being in a diaper and pretty much trained herself.  Didn't hurt that I have a small bladder and she would go with me every time I felt the need.  She's a great kid.

Does it help to know that she only took one 20 minute nap a day from birth to age 2, and then she quit napping all together?  I was tired!

LuciaK's picture

Does it help to know that she only took one 20 minute nap a day from birth to age 2, and then she quit napping all together?  I was tired!

I've always said that I loved mine even more while they slept. They shut those sweet little eyes, the breathing evens out, I can breathe again and my heart swells with love.

You are awesome for training a baby at 10 months. In a couple of weeks the diapers will disappear from our house - Linzy Lou who is 2 is more than ready. I just want to get one last road trip out of the way. There's nothing worse than traveling away from home with a potty-learning child. Oh, those little hands on public potties! There's not enough hand sanitizer in the world...

Minivan Mom. Fueled by Caffeine.

Minivan Mom. Fueled by Caffeine.

www.acookandherbooks.blogspot.com

Sammy2's picture

Oh, how I envied sleeping babies.  She would wake up at 5:00 AM. When we travelled, we brought a portable potty seat, reservoir and all.  If we had to use the real toilet, I sat her sideways on it.  That way she wouldn't feel like she was falling in.

Biscuit's picture

Max never slept either.  I wanted to smack every mother I knew who would talk about "morning naps" and "early evening naps". 

He would cat-nap for about 15 minutes at a time  occasionally through the day - not really a nap in my book.  When he was about 15 months old, he all of a sudden started taking these 3 hour naps in the middle of the day, but it only lasted a year and then that was it - he was done and the only time he naps now is when he's sick.

On the other hand - I wonder if your daughter does/did this - Max was sleeping through the night pretty quickly, only waking up twice to nurse the first year, and after that - 12 hours of sleep every night.  So - I traded naps for a baby who would sleep 12 hours at a stretch at night.

I think it worked out okay (g).

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

Sammy2's picture

Yes, she did sleep through the night early.  I would have gone crazy had she not.  She's 13 now and still goes to bed early,(9:00) and wakes early,(6:00)--except weekends, (8:00).

I always wondered how those 3 hour nappers slept at night.  It would be redemptive to know they didn't. LOL

madnoodle's picture

At the risk of being lynched, DD slept 12 hours at night with a 2 1/2 to 3 hour nap during the day, from the time she was about 6 months til age 3.  If it makes you feel any better, she didn't sleep for more than about 10 minutes at a time til she was 6 months old.  I think she had some serious catching up to do over the next couple of years.

There's fifteen feet of snow
And it's colder than a welldigger's as*.

Tom Waits

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Sammy2's picture

Lynched, throttled and I believe Biscuit said smacked. <G> That's amazing.  Do they wake only to eat and how did you get anything done outside of the house?  Wait, I know, you didn't have a ticking timebomb it was asleep.

You must have been at wit's end for the first 6 months.  Only 10 minutes at night too?  Ufda!

madnoodle's picture

Well, it's true--the downside is that you're a slave to the nap.  I remember have a small window of opportunity between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm to actually get anything done. 

I guess the 10-minute thing was a bit of an exaggeration--that was only during the day.  She was a pretty reliable night sleeper from 6 weeks on.  It took hours (literally) to get her to sleep, but once she was there, she stayed asleep.  The day time was a different story.  She would only sleep if she was held in a very particular (and uncomfortable) position.  I remember one of my friends who had a baby at about the same time saying, "Oh, newborns are so easy to look after--they just sleep all the time."  I was astounded.  Honestly, there was one day when she was about 3 weeks old that she was up for 12 hours straight, with one 10-minute nap.  It was insane.  Lots of crying, from both of us.  Then some kind of magic happened and she figured out how to sleep and became the happiest baby in the world.

There's fifteen feet of snow
And it's colder than a welldigger's as*.

Tom Waits

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Syrah's picture

I love bunnykins and Peter Rabbit keepsakes.

For one of our friends children, I bought him this for his 1st birthday.

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1601909

When he was born, I bought a Christmas themed bunnykins feeding bowl. He was due in December, but born in November. He is allowed to use it on special occasions, and his mother tells me each occasion he is allowed.

In my family, it was a tradition that every baby received a Peter rabbit eggcup when they were christened. It's a nice idea.

If you can, buy something useful and something memorable.

I believe in champagne...

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

Gretchen's picture

Friends gave our sons silver julep cups. Now they have them. And another friend gave DS an antique sterling wine cup. Also now has that.

Gretchen

Edited 3/28/2008 7:30 am ET by Gretchen

Gretchen
Syrah's picture

It's just nice, isn't it?? Simon has a silver goblet from when he was born.

Slightly off topic, but I have always admired my soon to be MIL's red crystal wine glasses, they seemed so retro and I'd never seen anything like that before. She has bought us some for our wedding gift. Apparently, they were very hard to find. I like the fact that I will always think of her when I use them.

I believe in champagne...

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

Gretchen's picture

Here is a list of books that is from the director of our church elementary department. Thought it might be of interest. If you do get books, I would recommend they be from some place that there can be a return. We have multiple copies of Pat the Bunny and Goodnight Moon!!

As a reader and an educator, I have my preferences and my prejudices for booksread to young children. Here are my top ten books for every infant/toddler:
1) Time for Bed, by Mem Fox. A lovely text that may become your child’s bedtime preference. Actually, any book by Mem Fox is a favorite of mine. This book is best viewed in its original publication--do not settle for the board book version–- the reproductions of the illustrations are too small to appreciate.

2) Clap Hands, by Helen Oxenbury will awaken both reader and listener!

3) Jamberry by Bruce Degan. This works well as a board book, one to tuck into the diaper bag, ready to read when waiting in lines.

4) The Very Hungry Caterpiller by Eric Carle. Of the people on my “Would-Liketo-Meet” list, Eric Carle is at the top. His text and art for children has spoiled threegenerations!

5) Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram may be more for the reader than the child, but this is a keeper!

6) Black on White, by Tana Hoban. Any book by Tana Hoban makes a marvelous baby shower gift.

7) Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt. Some books, like this one first published in 1940, have great stayingpower.

8) “More, More, More,” Said the Baby by Vera Williams. You will be singing thistext by the time you finish reading!

9) William’s Doll by Charlotte Zolotow makes a terrific read for older toddlers.

10) Thank You, Bear by Greg Foley is this year Zolotow Book Award recipient and is terrific for children nearing the age of three.

For infants as young as six months old, a board book of simple designs with contrasting light and dark colors offers a terrific beginning. Some board books are also pop-up books. These wondrous works of art do not belong in a young child’s hands. Infants and toddlers define and categorize their world by feel and taste. The propensity of publishers to place flaps and pulls in board books is n invitation for young children to chew on these loose pieces, creating a choking hazard.

Gretchen
Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

Oh Gretchen, this is so incredibly nice of you to put this together for me! I am deeply grateful. Can't wait to take this list to the bookstore and start looking for these books. Some I am familiar with but others not.

One question, what is a board book--one of the hardback-like picture books (like cardboard?)

I agree about popups, think they need to wait for much older kids.

Thank you so very much!

K.

Gretchen's picture

Yes, heavy pages so a little one can turn the pages himself or hold it. This is certainly not "comprehensive", but gives some that often aren't thought about. You are welcome. Hop

Gretchen

Gretchen
kathymcmo's picture

OK, now i know what you're referring to. Again, thank you for your kindness in putting this together. I am pretty excited about this gift!