NEW! Google Custom Search

Gift ideas for baby girl?

kathymcmo's picture

My nephew and his wife are having their first baby in August and today learned it is a girl. (My first time as a great-aunt!) I want to get something really nice for the shower--any and all ideas welcome. I haven't bought any baby gifts for a long time.

Thanks,

K.

shywoodlandcreature's picture

I've got a great big soft spot for Royal Doulton Bunnykins - heavy ceramic plates and cups for infants and toddlers. They're just about unbreakable, very practical, last forever -- or at least long enough to become hand-me-downs -- and the illustrations are worthy of Beatrix Potter. I've yet to meet a child or a parent who didn't love Bunnykins.

"lucky in love; unlucky in metabolism"
unknown

MadMom's picture

I bought enough Royal Doulton Bunnykins that both of my daughters could have service for four, of everything.  Unfortunately, in one of our many moves, the china was lost.  Never did find it. 

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

roz's picture

I have two daughters expecting. One is a boy and the other is a surprise! I have knitted one baby blanket, two little hats and a sweet little pullover vest. And am working on the second blanket. And I bought a baby food grinder from KidCo. In the past I have bought starter set of silverware...little spoon and fork and simple knife set. And a starter set of Dansk dinnerware for kids.

How about photo frames?
Don't forget the mom...gift certificates for new bras...

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
BoofyQ's picture

As a mom of twin girl babies, I can offer a few suggestions to consider:

A gym something like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266983

(lights & music are unnecessary, but it's tough to find things without them! A gym like this is great for encouraging reaching and batting.)

A swing of some sort:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501253

(again, lights & music are superfluous -- but a swing is a lifesaver for an overtired or otherwise cranky baby)

This specific mobile (this time, WITH lights & music):
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2331939

Claire has this in her crib and continues to be fascinated with it. If she isn't quite ready to sleep, we turn this on and she'll watch "her animals" gently spin and listen to pretty music. She even figured out how to turn it on by herself at about 4 months, so if she woke up in the middle of the night, she'd stomp her foot on the side of the crib and soothe herself back to sleep. Gotta LOVE that. (Note: she happens to be a very visual kid -- YMMV, of course.)

Of course, if the parents-to-be have a gift registry, I would follow their lead.

What NOT to get: clothes, blankets and stuffed animals. They'll get a million of those items.

All this said, follow your own whim. It's understandable if you see the cutest little pink ruffly outfit and are compelled to get it. If you do get clothes, I'd strongly recommend getting something season-appropriate in 6, 12 or even 18-month sizes. They'll be swamped with pink newborn clothes but having things ready for later on is always nice.

Li's picture

I second the swing and that mobile. Swings are ESSENTIAL. And both my boys loved that mobile, and now my friend's son is enjoying it too. It's great on batteries, too.

Only connect.

Only connect.

BoofyQ's picture

Li, did both of your boys love the swing? For quite awhile, it was the only place Eleanor would sleep. Claire never really seemed to care about it, but then that might be because she rarely got time in it. 8-\

I was skeptical about the mobile, but wow did it end up being a lifesaver. As addicted as Eleanor was to the swing, Claire was to that silly mobile. We still have it in her crib actually, even though technically we shouldn't. She'll sometimes grab onto one of the animals and hang on while he tries to rotate, and you can hear the gears slip. She cracks herself up laughing at it though!

Gretchen's picture

Our kids had a mobile with little wood characters on it. It just hung there--no batteries, etc.  I took them off and made Christmas ornaments from them. They used to play with them on the tree when they were 7 and 8 or so.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Li's picture

Yes, both boys loved their swings, and a good thing, too: they both had reflux, so they actually slept in their swings for a couple of months. I was afraid to let them sleep on their backs in case they threw up and choked, and of course I was equally afraid to put them on their tummies, for fear of SIDS. So, they slept sitting up for a few months until I got up the courage to buck the pediatric association's dictate on SIDS.

That said, I do know that some kids really don't like the swing. And my guys hated the vibrating chairs, which most of my friends' kids adored. Go figure.

Only connect.

Only connect.

Biscuit's picture

That said, I do know that some kids really don't like the swing. And my guys hated the vibrating chairs, which most of my friends' kids adored. Go figure.

Max HATED - passionately - the swing.  Hated the vibrating chair, too, until I disconnected the vibrating part and it just became "the chair".  But he also felt very passionate about his baby bathtub - you'd have thought we were pulling his arms and legs off with the caterwauling he put up!

Max did love to be in our Baby Bjorn front carrier, and when he got older he liked being in the baby-back-pack.  Or rather, I should say he "tolerated" both.  Max never cared for being restrained in any way, but some things he tolerated.  He was like that from the beginning - hated being swaddled from day one.  Unswaddle him, he was fine.  Swaddle him up, he screamed until you released him (G).

All children have their own odd peculiarities.

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

MadMom's picture

As Biscuit said, every child is different.  Michele, my eldest, slept in a bassinet for months, because it would have a slight motion when she would move.  The youngest wouldn't go near one.  The grandbabies seemed to all like the swings, plus the contraption they would sit in and spin around and play with all the goodies.

Not One More Day!

LuciaK's picture

Some thoughts:

Books such as Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, Counting Kisses,

Pat the Bunny or Pat the Cake, Velveteen Rabbit.

Photo albums, gift cards for a professional photographer, photo frames.

Carter's baby gowns with the elastic bottoms and rollover cuffs, in pink of course.

Hooded baby towels, wrapped up with an assortment of baby bathing items in a baby bathtub. Don't forget the rubber ducky.

Homemade coupons redeemable for babysitting hours or homecooked meals delivered to their home.

Minivan Mom. Fueled by Caffeine.

www.acookandherbooks.blogspot.com

Biscuit's picture

You know - as mom of a fairly young child, I can remember well some of my favorite - and most appreciated - baby gifts.  One of them was the huge diaper bag from Lands End, with our monogram.  It doesn't really LOOK too diaper-baggish so DH wasn't embarrassed to carry it (g), it was incredibly sturdy and well made, easy to clean, held everything I ever thought of, and once, when the buckle broke, Lands End sent me a whole new diaper bag free of charge.

I loved that bag - still do, actually.   We use it now on trips to carry Max's books and toys for airplane and car rides.

Another one of my favorite things (and still are) - someone gave us several CD's.  One was "Bedtime with the Beatles", but our favorites were Ralph's World CD's - Max still listens to them and adores them.

Oh, and someone else got Max a down baby-bunting that we used a lot. 

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

teebee's picture

I would second the Lands' End diaper bag.  The other idea, if you would rather give some kind of keepsake is a dated "Baby's first Christmas" ornament.  I had one engraved for my sisters' children.  I have ornament collections for both of my children that will be theirs someday.  The one I had engraved was from Wendell August Forge.  Lenox also makes some nice ornaments.  Someone gave me a collection of chilren's board books, wrapped in a baby blanket instead of paper.  Very practical!

sbsterling's picture

As mom to a 1 year old I second the votes for nice dinner and silverware. We also never seemed to have enough towels and rubber duckies are a bathtime favorite.

I didn't favor gifts of picture frames because they generally didn't match what I already have and didn't end up being that useful. Same with all the photo albums, they're all still packed away.

We did get A LOT of Johnson's baby products. I would have really liked to get some nice natural baby products. High price can be deceptive though. I was recently browsing a site that lists product safety info for cosmetics and Mustela didn't fare that well. That being said, having the same sized basket full of California Kids or (pre buyout) Burt's Bees would have been really nice.

We also got two or so weeks worth of meals from lets dish. The food was mediocre at best but we were happy to not have to think about dinner.

http://neurosesgalore.com
Gretchen's picture

Do you want something that will be a ''''remembrance forever" or something they will really enjoy when the baby is "growing". If a remembrance, then you will have to fill in what your particular family does. My sister would give them a beautiful old pine box that would be their toy box.
You might think about a children's silver cup--that is a very southern tradition.

if you want something that they will LOVE for their baby as she grows (but will be "gone" by a year) get an activity saucer--a seat for the baby and lots of stuff for them to do while sitting in it.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Biscuit's picture

Max's god-parents gave us the silver cup, engraved with his name and birthdate.  I love it.  We don't use it, but we love it! (g)

I also got a BEAUTIFUL, huge scrap-book album engraved with his full name and "first year" engraved on it to use to chronicle his first year.  Love that, too.

- Mark Twain

Gretchen's picture

I love using them--the dents are great memories!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
Risottogirl's picture

I gave all my nieces and nephews and other godchildren sterling baby cups.

The older two don't have them, they somehow disappeared with their mother, which is kind of sad.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Gretchen's picture

I would ask for them back. THAT is just not fair and pretty tacky.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Risottogirl's picture

My brother's divorce and custody battle was long and hardwon many years ago. Their mother is a vindictive, emotionally cruel/abusive, pathalogical liar, they have not seen her in years, nor have I. As soon as she no longer could use her children as pawns, no one heard from her. Last I heard she was in jail for fraud in New Orleans, where she moved to "help" katrina victims.

LuciaK's picture

How could I forget Hannas? Every girl needs her first Hannas, either the cute wrap-over pajamas or the striped playdress/daydress.

www.hannaandersson.com

Pilot caps are also cute. Hanna's big black diaper bag is nice, although I used the Vera Bradley bag more often.

sbsterling's picture

Wow, that stuff is adorable. I agree, every girl needs at least one. I have some work to do :) This could be very dangerous.

http://neurosesgalore.com
LuciaK's picture

Hannas are wonderful. They are soft and wash very, very well. The playdress is nice because you can get several seasons out of each set - the two pieces allow plenty of room for growth.

madnoodle's picture

Are you crafty?  Two of my very favourite baby gifts are needlepoint (cross stitch? I'm not up on my craft terminology, sorry) pictures done by a friend.  Each of them has a lovely little picture of a baby, with the child's full name, birth date, and birth weight on it.  Obviously she did these well after the kids were born, but I was thrilled.  I also second the Bunnykins set idea, if you're looking for a keepsake type thing.  If you want to give the world's most useful gift (IMO), I couldn't have lived without my Baby Trekker.  Best invention ever.

There's fifteen feet of snow
And it's colder than a welldigger's as*.

Tom Waits

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Canuck's picture

Yes, the Baby Trekker! That thing saved us when one stroller broke in Europe. I could even feed DD when she was in it.

Marcia's picture

My aunt gave our son a sterling dumbbell rattle when he was born. I thought it a lovely keepsake kind of gift, but it turned out to be one of his favorite toys. We have pictures of him crawling around with one end in his mouth.

With silver cups or rattles, it's traditional to have them engraved with initials and birth date. They're wonderful keepsakes, especially if they're well used.

msm-s's picture

i don't think i'd ever give a boy a girly doll, but i for sure would give a girl some toy tools.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

–Jack Handey

Star's picture

Hi Kathy:

I'm expecting within the next few weeks, so don't have "first hand" experience, but here's my two cents:

- If you're looking for a useful item that will last a year or less, a swing, exersaucer, mobile, or bouncy seat is a good idea.

- People like to give cute baby clothes.  My baby isn't even born yet, and I think I have more 10 lb outfits than the baby will wear.  And the baby shower isn't until this weekend.  I would stay away from clothes, as they seem to come out the wazoo for new parents!

- I still have all the bunnykins that were given to me when I was born, as well as all of the 'baby's first Christmas' ornaments etc.  If you are looking for a lasting gift, this is a good idea.

- My mother last week gave me the blanket that my great grandmother crocheted when I was born, to be passed on to my baby.  If you are at all crafty, a hand knit / crochet item could be a lasting gift, depending on the receiver.

MadMom's picture

Congratulations on your coming baby!  I have to agree about clothes.  Of course, it's been more years than my daughters want to count since I had a little one, but clothes, especially a ton of "newborn" things, are such a waste.  First, new moms might be enamored of the cute little dresses and suits, but baby will usually spend most of his/her time in onesies or jammies.  Next, although the newborn clothes look huge at first, before you know it (usually before all are worn) they are outgrown.  I did appreciate the few people who bought 12 or 18 month size clothes for my girls, because that was nice to find later.  I agree with those who have mentioned the sterling rattles and baby cups as things to keep, and also agree wtih your suggestion of something lovely which is handmade and can be passed down.  Of course, the Bunnykins and Baby's First Christmas ornaments are always good.

Not One More Day!

Star's picture

Luckily, most of the clothes are onesies and sleepers, so they are practical.  There's just too many of them (And they are mostly from the Grandma's).

I'm just hoping that at the shower this weekend that people leave the tags on things, so that I can quietly swap for larger sizes!!