NEW! Google Custom Search

Napie's picture

Hummm?? (post #48793)

I wonder how we got in the position of 90% of Westerners being carefully taught the opposite of the truth.  It is very common for intelligent, educated people to be almost completely misinformed on very large important issues, even where actual data is readily available.

• What they believe:  man is destroying the environment by overpopulation.  The truth:  Western man is depopulating.

• What they believe:  man is destroying the environment by CO2 emissions.  The truth:  man creates just 5% of all CO2 emissions.  Approximately equivalent to the contribution from Moose Farts.

• What they believe:  man is destroying the environment causing polar bears to go extinct.  The truth:  there are more polar bears than in 1950.  Or 1900.  It's a good time to be a polar bear.

gmunger's picture

Save your breath, I don't have time to engage in debate about the science. Sorry.

There are 2 kinds of people in this world; those who believe there are 2 kinds of people, and everyone else.

We are truly what we eat, and too many people are fast, cheap and easy. Who owns your food owns you, and it is unwise to let that power rest in the hands of a very few wealthy corporations.
Heather's picture

>>That's because the ones supporting are on the government dole. Sure they support it or they would lose their grants and their jobs.<<

Then why have so many scientists claimed that their reports on climate change have been rewritten by the current administration to downplay the human role?

gmunger's picture

Very good!

I would add:

Consider choosing column A, taking mitigative action in anticipation that the climate scientists/activists are correct. Regardless of whether they are or are not correct about climate change, there are other very important reasons to dramatically change the way we live, especially r.e. energy.

• peak oil

• other serious environmental problems with fossil fuels

• global political problems associated with fossil fuels

• current land use practices that contribute to greenhouse gasses, also contribute to degraded environmental and human health; especially industrial agriculture and forestry, and suburban sprawl

On the other hand, investment in alternative fuels research can benefit us greatly, not just interms of mitigating problems outlined above, but also in terms of providing new sources of business, jobs, etc. It can also lead to better standards of living, beyond just direct economic benefits, such as reduced pollution, reduced congestion, healthier food, etc., healthier ecosystems, etc.

Imagine.

It is as if we are living inside of a dream, sleepwalking toward oblivion, while self-serving, shortsighted interests encourage our slumber with managed news, celebrity culture and other weapons of mass distraction.

We are truly what we eat, and too many people are fast, cheap and easy. Who owns your food owns you, and it is unwise to let that power rest in the hands of a very few wealthy corporations.
wonka's picture

I agree.

Ozark's picture

Anybody else download the 65mb of documents and emails? Very interesting and telling. Blocking peer review, blocking freedom of information requests and now the ultimate, they destroyed the original data so nobody can ever review their findings. We are to trust their calculations that the IPCC and the rest of the world have relied on for the last 30 years. Talk about an inconvenient truth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6936328.ece

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Edited 12/1/2009 7:41 am ET by Ozark

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

thecooktoo's picture

I was not going to be the first one to bring up the issue of the scientists and the fraud they have managed to pull on the worlds population.

Jim

ashleyd's picture

Whether their conclusions are right, wrong, or merely confused, their conduct is shameful. We expect lies and concealment from politicians (and they never let us down!) but from scientists we expect truth and transparency.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

Jean's picture

Ashley, Ashley -- that's ideally true, but they are just as fallible. Who can afford to do pure science with all the grubbing for funds that they have to do...Sally and Phil excepted of course.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need

ashleyd's picture

I know, I know, having worked for one of the world's largest research organisations, very few organisations can afford to do "pure" research any more, but the spin usually comes from management, the scientists themselves usually welcome scrutiny and peer-review (if only because that's how they get to show how smart they have been!). This is just bad science, especially destroying source data.

Jean's picture

This is soooo appropriate!

091125boklores

ashleyd's picture

Love it!

Rich02's picture

Sorry- I read the title and thought it was the one about Minica Lewinsky.  see ya

It's not what you say or what you do- it's how you make people feel

We did what we did when we knew what we knew, now that we know better, we should do the better thing.   Maya Angelou