NEW! Google Custom Search

Any great recipes for Chilean Sea Bass?

Jody's picture

I haven't made this yet, but it sounds good...

Sicilian Style Chilean Sea Bass

2 (6-8 OZ) PIECES OF SEA BASS

FLOUR TO DUST FISH

1/4 TSP. OLIVE OIL

8 CALAMATA OLIVES, PITTED AND CHOPPED

1/2 LEEK, WHITE PART JULIENNED

2 PLUM TOMATOS, SEEDED AND JULIENNED

2 SMALL CLOVES GARLIC, CHOPPED

1/4 TSP. EACH: SALT, THYME, ROSEMARY, OREGANO, BASIL

4 TBS. DRY WHITE WINE

6 TBS. CHICKEN STOCK

8-10 ASPARAGUS SPEARS

6 RED POTATOES, CUT INTO SMALL CHUNKS OR CUT INTO MUSHROOM SHAPES

SPRINKLING OF PAPRIKA

-Cut potatoes and brush with a little olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven. Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water. Remove from water and set aside until just before ready to serve.

-Dredge sea bass in flour.

-Pour 1/4 tsp. oil into a hot pan and quickly sear each side of the fish. When golden on all sides, put into oven and bake 10 minutes per inch of thickness at 350 degrees.

-In a saute pan heat a dab of olive oil and add olives, leek and tomato. add salt, garlic, basil, wine and stock. simmer for a few minutes until fish is ready. Add asparagus to reheat.

-Remove potatoes when done.

-Place fish on a serving plate. Top with vegetables. Arrange a fan of asparagus overlapping the fish and put potatoes on the side. Sprinkle with paprika.

aussiechef's picture

Yep but it's the wrong season. When summer comes around, season steak size pieces of sea bass with a bit of salt and pepper and olive oil, wrap in fresh grapevine leaves and put it on the BBQ. Don't overdo. Done when leaves are just starting to burn. Mmmmmmmmmmmmyum.

aussiechef's picture

I just read in the NYT yesterday that Chilean Sea Bass is actually Patagonian Toothfish, about 6 feet long, and on the endangered species list. Drat.

MEAN_CHEF's picture

I always thought it was grouper.

aussiechef's picture

True basses include the grouper. The name Chilean Sea Bass is apparently a marketing invention.

Carolina's picture

Sounds like what they did with talapia. If I'm not too off base here, it used to be called St.Peter's fish, and was considered a trash fish. Now you pay $8.99 a pound for it!

Rebecca's picture

I'm a few miles from Long Island Sound & at the supermarket we pay about $8.99/lb for most fish - haddock, cod, tilapia, lobster, EVERYTHING! Is this more $ than you guys? It seems high to me. A lot of this stuff is caught right near here (lobsters are always local). The specialty stores are more $ but the fish is sometimes nicer. I usually buy on sale. The shrimps that are less than $13/lb. are pretty bad.

Adele_'s picture

Was in the fish market this weekend to get tuna for a recipe from Emeril's site - the tuna was $8.99! and I refuse to pay that much. Got a very nice salmon at $4.99 & the recipe was wonderful. Shrimp (large) is at $6.99. Catfish at $3.99. Stone crab claws were $15.99- this is due to a shortage & the price will probably continue to soar. Bye- (Zone 9?)(FL)

mangia!'s picture

You're going to make Rebecca cry!

Jean_'s picture

Stone crab????She's making ME cry!!

MEAN_CHEF's picture

You are correct. I found a similar article in the NY daily News archives.