NEW! Google Custom Search

VP debate last night.

Geoffchef's picture

Of the four men I have now seen debating, the least impressive was George Bush. By a landslide. Cheney's a tough nut and Edwards is smart as a whip.

The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.

-Robert W. Service

ADAM'S APPLE, n.
A protuberance in the throat of man, thoughtfully provided by Nature to keep the rope in place.
Ambrose Bierce - The Devil's Dictionary

gjander's picture

I was struck by the fact that George Bush was barely even mentioned during the debate.  It seemed to me that Cheney overshadowed his boss to the point where he almost seemed inconsequential.

Gary

Biscuits's picture

I'm just glad Edwards didn't win the Democratic Nomination.  Because while I agree that he is smart, he didn't do it for me last night.  Of course, I just think that Cheney is "Big Scary Man", but still - if Edwards were running for President, I wouldn't vote for him.  Can't put my finger on why, but it might have something to do with the fact that he couldn't frikkin' answer a question!   Arrrgggghhhh!  I hate that!  One of the things that drives me nuts about GWB - when you are asked a question, answer THAT question.  Do not answer the question you WISH had been asked.  Do not go back to 4 questions ago and answer THAT one.  Answer-the-question-you-were-asked-this-time!!!!

He was driving me crazy going back to his politicla campaign blog and many times just ignoring the question.  Or pretending to answer the question - but not. 

Ah, well - doesn't matter.  I would say it was a draw.  I thought Cheney came off a few times as a bully, but then - he is.  I would say that Edwards came off as a little slick next to the VP, but then - he is. 

In the end though - I don't care.  I'm more concererned with Friday nights debate.  I honestly don't even know why they have a VP debate, except that it allows the VP's to back-up, reiterate and expand on what the Presidential candidates said in the first debate. 

I am interested to see Jon Stewart's spin on last nights debate.  I never miss a night of the Daily Show...(G)

Life is tough - but it's tougher when you're stupid - Major Jeffrey F. Richardson, USMC

Ancora Imparo -

MadMom's picture

I was disappointed in Edwards, as during the campaign, he was my first choice.  I am becoming more and more impressed with Kerry as the campaign goes on.  I do think Edwards beat Cheney, which seems to be the consensus of the blogs I've read, but don't think either one of them spent much time answering the questions which were asked...very Bush-like!  When Edwards talked about the young girl who sued the swimming pool company, he sounded like the passionate trial lawyer I was hoping to hear, but that was really the only time.  If I had to rate the debates so far, I would give Kerry an A+, Edwards a C+., Cheney a D+, and Bush simply failed...F.  Can't wait to see the second presidential candidates' debate.  Didn't stay up for the late show, but recorded it.  I cannot miss Jon Stewart!

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

TracyK's picture

You know, I'd vote for anyone/anything running against Bush, but after watching last week's debate I can almost be proud to say I'm voting for Kerry... though I wish he'd stop being such a weenie when it comes to the issue of gay marriage. Looking forward to the remaining debates.

"Never eat more than you can lift."   --Miss Piggy

Biscuits's picture

Me, too.  I was firmly in the ABB camp until last weeks debate.  Now I am actually happy to be voting for Kerry.

Life is tough - but it's tougher when you're stupid - Major Jeffrey F. Richardson, USMC

Ancora Imparo -

StevenHB's picture

My attitude was that I'd vote for anyone but Sharpton over Bush and, fortunately, Rev. Al had about as much chance as I did.

Re: Gay marriage: He can't come out in support of gay marriage, even if he wanted to.  He'd really alienate a lot of voters.  Look at Cheney: he has to support the president's contitutional amendment even though his daughter is a lesbian.  It was pretty clear that he didn't quite agree with the president last night but he couldn't say it.

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible
Geoffchef's picture

Incidentally, CBC's Fifth Estate is running an unauthorized biography of Cheney tonight. Supposed to be quite revealing about his business relationships with Saddam and others. I believe some PBS channels will carry it in the States.

-Robert W. Service

ADAM'S APPLE, n.
A protuberance in the throat of man, thoughtfully provided by Nature to keep the rope in place.

samchang's picture

Cheney overshadowed his boss to the point where he almost seemed inconsequential.

And that is of course problem #768 with B-C'04. After hearing/seeing/reading Bush's and Cheney's debate performances, it isn't too difficult to infer who the leading man is in this team. Cheney overshadows him with a dour frown that made me think someone put vinegar in the Veep's water galss.

Adele's picture

Kerry & the Mrs. will be on Dr. Phil tonight.  Bush and the Mrs. were on last Wednesday night. 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

MadMom's picture

Jon Stewart did some excerpts from that visit.  When Dr. Phil asked Bush if he believed in spanking, Jon Stewart said "He executes retarded people!  Of course he believes in spanking!"

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

Gretchen's picture

was struck by the fact that George Bush was barely even mentioned during the debate.  It seemed to me that Cheney overshadowed his boss to the point where he almost seemed inconsequential

That was covered on a discussion on Diane Rehm this morning. The answer given was that it was Cheney's job to talk about KERRY, not talk about Bush, and he succeeded indoing that.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Biscuits's picture

I don't know - I think Cheney succeeded in talking a lot about Edwards, but didn't mention Kerry very much.

Edwards, on the other hand (G) talked about Kerry quite a lot!  It got repetitive after a while.  And boring. 

Looking forward to Friday night.  Can't wait to see how W's handlers have straightened him out and prepped him for it.

Ancora Imparo -

Ballottine's picture

Cheney made at least two BIG mistakes last night.

1.  He had a nice line about being "the president of Senate" and meeting  Edwards for the first time in almost 4 years.  After the debate networks showed  Mrs. Cheney, Cheney & Edwards sitting at a dinner table  eating together.  The date stamped on the video was 2000. Also, reportedly, (I could not hear it) right after the debate  Mrs. Edwards  went to Cheney and reminded him how many times they met.

2.  During the debate Cheney mistakenly suggested that people  go to www. checkfacts.com.  Millionaire named Soros immediately bought the site and linked it to his own anti Bush site.  Cheney meant checkfacts.org.

Bal

So much to cook; so little time.

Edited 10/6/2004 1:00 pm ET by BALLOTTINE

Edited 10/6/2004 3:47 pm ET by BALLOTTINE

JoanneB17's picture

Ballotine, just thought I'd mention what I heard from a Christian Science Monitor reporter on Brian Lehrer's show this morning (visit wnyc.org for transcript). Brian and the reporter said that the site Cheney mentioned was factcheck.com, rather than Annenberg's factcheck.org (which someone here--Shy WC?--mentioned and now I read). And George Soros already owned that site, factcheck.com, didn't just immediately set up last night. He (or his staff) did immediately set up a link to factcheck.org, though, so maybe that's where that story came from.

But, this is hearsay--I haven't checked the facts myself. I do trust Brian Lehrer, though, and tend to trust the Monitor.

Gretchen's picture

That was what I heard on Diane Rehm also--he mixed up the "com" and "org".

Gretchen

Gretchen
Ballottine's picture

That is exactly what I was trying to say.  Bal

JoanneB17's picture

You did say that, I agree. I was just commenting on the part that Soros immediately set up the website, which I think is not the case. Sorry to sound picky! Must be my lack of sleep and cold (I'm heading out for some of that wick stuff Biscuit mentioned).

Ballottine's picture

Hope you feel better soon. 

I really don't know much about this story. After your post I Googled. 

It seems a Russian website of some sort broke the story.  It is not surprising, because Soros spent a lot of time and money  on Russian affairs.  Mosnews.com or Lenta.Ru (can't vouch for them) said that Soros bought the site from some Cyber squaters in Cayman Islands. 

US news  sources say that this site belonged to some Cayman Islands co.  Don't know.  The more I read the more I find  the whole story amusing.  Turns out factcheck.org does not answer the question Cheney said it would. 

Feel better. Have some chicken soup with ginger.  Get in shape for Friday.  Bal

JoanneB17's picture

You are so kind! And on target re: soup! I'm so tired, I figured I'd buy soup, so I went to Whole Foods on my way back from driving son #2 to rowing.

And just overhead an interesting half of a phone call. Bought soup and local apples and was in line in front of a hurried man who was speaking on his cell phone in a dead earnest manner and said at least 10 times, "This is really serious, really serious."

He looked familiar and I thought maybe he was an actor (had an energy about him) or a hedge fund manager (was really intense). When I got to my car I suddenly remembered him in a white coat. He's the infectious disease director at our hospital and had taken interest in son #2 when he had an unusual appendicitis case (this doctor, who is highly respected,was thinking he had some interesting disease, alas plain old appendicitis!).

After remembering other parts of the conversation, I realized he was talking about the flu vaccine debacle! Kind of scary....

Ballottine's picture

That is scary.  Around here we are being assured that our vaccine comes from a different manufacturer, Adventist Inc, and not from UK's Chiron.  what do I know?  Bal

StevenHB's picture

It may be that your local vaccine comes from Adventist but there's now a major shortage in the supply of this year's vaccine - they don't think that there will be enough for those who have strong medical indications for getting them.  My employer usually provides them to us free of charge but the Visiting Nurse Association, which provides the service to us, has just postponed all such clinics.

Compared to the old, young, sick, and pregnant, I have no business getting a shot this year.

Jean's picture

A friend said that they were giving them to anyone in the line at the clinic the other day. At our Dr's office today, they are making appointments, but don't have any vaccine.  I qualify to be one of the first in line, but Nov 3 is our appointment date. Ha, we'll see. They ran out before they got to us (DH & me) last year. Fortunately we didn't get the bug either, but nobody seems to be paying any attention to who is most at risk. :(

Veni, vidi, velcro        I came,  I  saw,  I stuck around.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Ballottine's picture

Same here.  We get our vaccine at work from our health unit, but  yesterday we were told that our supplies have not arrived yet and not to bug the nurses. Bal

Ballottine's picture

A  reporter I know emailed the story to me this morning.  He got it from Mosnews.com.  Sounds like a Russian website in English.  I do not vouch for its accuracy, but they seem to have more details.   I just think the whole things is funny.  Bal

Bethany's picture

I missed the whole darn thing. I put in Calendar Girls, and it was such a good movie, I couldn't stop it. But I can get the debates On Demand for the next 2 weeks I think.

Famous Last Words: Those are the good kind of mushrooms.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Lword's picture

Edwards did a good job (could have been a lot better), but because Cheney has some knowledge and a convincing way to spread lies (“we’ve never met before” or whatever he said), it was a closer match than between Kerry and W who seemed uninformed and twitchy. Facing a crowd that doesn’t cheer about things that are crazy (that OBGYN statement kills me) is obviously new to him. Cheney’s makeup was not good. Looks like he’s been hiding somewhere ;)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Dick had no answer to the Halliburton charges except the wrong web site suffix. Supposedly the correct site (.org) has come out with a tabulation of wrong facts but it won’t open for me now. Cheney had 10 and Edwards had 3 per Ed Schultz or one of his guests but that is just word of mouth. The worst is the attempt to link 9/11 with Saddam.

Biscuit I think it was you who said you are glad Edwards is second on the ticket even though you originally supported him. Me too. As much as I liked his populist message I thought Kerry would be better. The only time I knew much about Kerry was when he returned from Nam and protested the war. I was extremely proud of him, but paid absolutely no attention to him after that until now.

I’m looking forward to the next “debates”. Maybe Bush will get some Botox so his expressions don’t show ;) I don’t think they can be trained out so quickly without it. Still, he needs some substance. Ha! 

L.
L.
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." Mother Teresa
Geoffchef's picture

Just got through watching the aforementioned Cheney bio, on CBC. Can you say "Slimebucket"? I knew you could.

Don't quite understand how such a series of conflicts of interest, although they should be termed "confluences of interest" could be tolerated from someone seeking political office. Then again, Dubya is equally guilty, so I guess it's a case of "who you know".

This entire administration reeks like Tamanny Hall.

-Robert W. Service

ADAM'S APPLE, n.

Geoffchef's picture

Kid on the left doesn't know enough to be scared s*itless of his tablemate.

-Robert W. Service

ADAM'S APPLE, n.

KarenP's picture

Kid on the left doesn't know enough to be scared s*itless of his tablemate.

david and goliath?