NEW! Google Custom Search

CooksTalk Upgrade: Same forum, new look

RDA's picture

Good news, everyone: The CooksTalk forum will move to a new and improved platform called Drupal the week of Nov. 16. The move is part of a planned site-wide upgrade. CooksTalk is the first area of the site to benefit from this new technology.

What does this mean to you? CooksTalk will feature:

·         A new clean look

·         Improved Google search

·         Improved member profiles

·         Login-free message reading

·         Archived discussions still available (they are being migrated over right now)

·         Upgrades to raise the forum to industry standards

Stay tuned to FineCooking.com for more information in the coming weeks. I’ll pass along details as they become available.

Robyn Aitken

FC Web producer

Jean's picture

The old-timers here have endeavored to persevere through all of the changes so far. I guess we can survive another one. :)

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

help to provide free mammograms for women in need
RDA's picture

That's the spirit!

You old-timers will more than survive it. . .and I'll help you through.

-Robyn

Glenys's picture

I'm an Apple with Safari

I'm an Apple with Safari user, which hasn't created any problems previously, but I'm getting everyone's taglines and quotes repeating. Can I fix that?

favorablyimpressed's picture

Yes, that's right, Jean, but it wasn't a pretty picture, as I recall.

RDA's picture

I thought you'd be pleased. I came across an earlier post from you (I'm not even sure it was on CooksTalk) asking when we'd move our forums into the 21st century (or something to that effect). The answer: Now. Well, in a couple of weeks, actually. It's major progress! 

-Robyn

shywoodlandcreature's picture

Having worked with Drupal in a previous life, I heartily applaud the decision. Can't wait to see how everything shakes out (not to mention not having to log in two, three times a day).

"And then, because of the transitive reactive Halstead-era seizing properties of the Aboriginal Double Humpback Turtle, I thought, what if I add one teaspoon of clarified monkey paste?" Anonymous blog comment on "America's Test Kitchen"

brucet9's picture

Help me out here, Robyn. I

Help me out here, Robyn. I see your post that starts out "I thought you'd be pleased. "

You thought who would be pleased? Whom are you responding to? How would I find the earlier posts in a thread that would give context to your post?

It was so easy in the previous format where I could simply click the "responding to" post number.

BruceT
ashleyd's picture

Thank you Robyn, not only for addressing some of the "issues" that we've had, but also for letting us know in advance. Surprises aren't always good!

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

PeterDurand's picture

I am willing to bet a dollar that some folks will express surprise and complain and whine when the fateful day rolls around. :-)

Canuck's picture

Only a dollar LOL?

TracyK's picture

I don't take sucker bets! :)

We are all in the same boat, you and me and ex-Gov. Palin and Rep. Joe Wilson, and wealth and social status do not prevail against disease and injury. And now we must reform our health insurance system so that it reflects our common humanity. It is not decent that people avoid seeking help for want of insurance. It is not decent that people go broke trying to get well. You know it and I know it. Time to fix it.

-- Garrison Keillor

MadMom's picture

I guess I'm one of the

I guess I'm one of the whiners. I just don't see that we've improved. Seems like we've taken a major step backwards, but what do I know?

FL.Cook's picture

Tend to agree with you! As

Tend to agree with you! As we keep saying, why fix a good thing when it's not broken??? The sign in they could have fixed, the rest left alone! It was so much easier to maneuver the left side before the orange change!

Carole
Pati's picture

Thanks for the heads-up. Good luck. I hope all goes well.

RDA's picture

You guys are the best!

FL.Cook's picture

I'm more then willing to take

I'm more then willing to take my signature off, but how? I've been to my profile, to edit,I see signature, but nothing to click to get rid of it,

Carole
Carole4's picture

Thanks for the heads up! It's always good to learn how to navigate something new.

chiquiNO's picture

I'm game...lol  Do we have a choice????LOL  No offense Robyn...just joking!!  We're here for you!!

TracyK's picture

Thanks for the heads up! I look forward to it!

And btw Gretchen, I have been asked to sign in multiple times, but as it takes about 5 seconds to do it just doesn't chafe me the way it seems to chafe others. :)

We are all in the same boat, you and me and ex-Gov. Palin and Rep. Joe Wilson, and wealth and social status do not prevail against disease and injury. And now we must reform our health insurance system so that it reflects our common humanity. It is not decent that people avoid seeking help for want of insurance. It is not decent that people go broke trying to get well. You know it and I know it. Time to fix it.

-- Garrison Keillor

FL.Cook's picture

And, my Firefox signs me in automatically, no problem!!

Carole

Carole
Gary's picture

"And, my Firefox signs me in automatically, no problem!!"

I have Firefox and while it remembers my passwords, I still have to sign in manually everytime I visit the Taunton sites. I'm glad to hear that relief is in sight.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

Gretchen's picture

I know. You already said it a couple of times.  ;o) 

Gretchen

Gretchen
TracyK's picture

I haven't actually. The only other time I mentioned it I wasn't being asked to sign in multiple times.

-- Garrison Keillor

Gretchen's picture

No, the part about it chafing some people.  ;o)

Gretchen

Gretchen
StevenHB's picture

Thanks for the advance notice, Robin.  There was a prior change in forum technology providers some years ago.  I think that some of us were frustrated by the need to register again, which, in some cases, meant that we couldn't get the same user IDs we'd been using all along

Maybe we'll find direction, around some corner, where it's been waiting to meet us.

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible
BillHartmann's picture

You know it would not hurt to put this in the Sandbox a day or two early. Or maybe a dummy website showing the new layout so that people had a chance to look at it first and get some idea of how to navigate.

William the Geezer, the sequel to Billy the Kid - Shoe
. William the Geezer, the sequel to Billy the Kid - Shoe
Jean's picture

What!!?? You have no sense of adventure. LOL

help to provide free mammograms for women in need
KitchenWitch's picture

Oh dear.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn