NEW! Google Custom Search

OK - fess up

Rich02's picture

OK - fess up (post #37152)

I don't know if I'm the only idiot on the planet but I just dumped 3 tablespoons of celery salt into my cole slaw.  Thanks, McCormick spice bottle designer.  What is worse, it's the third time it's happened.  I usually only buy the small spice containers to keep them fresher but the ones I use more of like oregano have all gone to the pop top shakers.  I know this, I just can't stop the automatic unscrew motion that I have been using for years.  Anyone Else?  Rich

It's not what you say or what you do- it's how you make people feel

We did what we did when we knew what we knew, now that we know better, we should do the better thing.   Maya Angelou

Gretchen's picture

Oh, yeah. ALmost did it just yesterday. Sorry 'bout that.  ;o)

Gretchen

Gretchen
teebee's picture

No, you are not the only idiot out there (trust me on that :)). While we are complaining about McCormick spices, the vanilla extract now has the pop top bottle, which does not completely seal like the twist off caps (although they sometimes sealed a little too well, and had to be held under hot running water to loosen up the stickiness). I take my cooking supplies on the road to teach baking classes to kids, and my new bottle of vanilla leaked a bit. Vanilla is expensive enough without having the bottle leak!

I think that I am now used to the flip-top shakers. I often unscrew the lids to measure out a teaspoon, so in some ways I think that they are easier than pulling off the shaker that used to be there. It does take some getting used to, though.

I really am not as high maintenance as this post sounds. Honest!

Amy's picture

I HATE the new vanilla extract bottle!!!!

Regality's picture

Did something similar with ground pepper the other day.   I just never seem to learn not to "sprinkle" from the uncorked container.  Inevitably I wind up with 5 times as much as I need in the dish.

knitpik's picture

Yeah I learned to stop grinding pepper over a hot pot. My grinder got
a little green. Ick. As a matter of fact I pre-measure everything now...well, I try. ;-)

UncleDunc's picture

Yeah, picked up the ground cayenne instead of the ground ancho. I stopped before I rendered the dish inedible, but it was a near thing.

Flapjack66's picture

It happened to me with white pepper. I thought, how dumb can I be, but then changed my opinion of dumbness from me to them.

thecooktoo's picture

I am always picking up something and not paying attention to the cap.  Happens all the time.

Last week in a cooking class one of the students picked up a container of kosher salte (probably a half a cup) and dumped it in the meat loaf mix.  Fortunately I caught him and we were able to get enough out that it didn't ruin the meatloaf...but it was close.

He said he thought it was a premeasured 1 tbl...of course I rarely premeasure anything for them so not sure where that came from.

Jim

MadMom's picture

Jim, "premeasured" was probably just his story, and he was going to stick with it!  Have to find some way to save face after you dump half a cup of salt into meatloaf, you know.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Maedl's picture

I do this sort of thing all the time. Last year I tried to make bouillon with the a bouillon paste--instead of one teaspoon to a cup of water, I used three TABLESPOONS to a cup of water. Had to throw out the sauce. This month I seem to be throwing coffee grounds into my blender container with my buttermilk-fruit breakfast drink rather than in the coffee filter. That is the danger of having the hands engaged when the brain is elsewhere!

Margie
Between the Alps and the Chesapeake Bay:
Where Food and Culture Intersect
www.alpsandbay.blogspot.com

Margie Between the Alps and the Chesapeake Bay: Where Food and Culture Intersect www.alpsandbay.blogspot.com
unbaked's picture

Haven't done that lately, but I'm an idiot in so many others ways they're uncountable :)

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

SallyBR1's picture

I have never done that... but I have a tendency to jinx myself, so I expect very salty soup in the near future

The garbage disposal is your friend. Treat it nicely.

(A little pearl of wisdom, February 2009)