NEW! Google Custom Search

Favorite Recipe of 2008

butterscotch's picture

I made the soup recipe below a couple of months ago and was blown away by how delicious and pretty it is--definitely the best thing I made all year.  Please post your own favorite recipe from last year.

Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Soup

3 red bell peppers ( 1 1/2 lbs. total), rinsed, stemmed seeded and halved

3 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion (7 oz.), peeled and chopped

2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1 28-oz. can whole plum tomatoes

1 Tbsp. smoked paprika

3 cups vegetable broth or fat-skimmed chicken broth

2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper

creme fraiche or plain yogurt

1.   Broil red pepper halves, cut side down, until skins are black and blistered, about 8 minutes.  Cool, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.  Peel peppers and place in a bowl, reserving any juice. (I prefer to roast the peppers at 400 degrees until soft.)

2.  Saute onion in olive oil in a 3-4 qt. pan over medium heat, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and stir until translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add roasted peppers and tomatoes, along with their juices, and paprika.  Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.

3.  In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in small batches until smooth. Return puree to pan and stir in broth and lemon juice.  Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt.

bonnieruth's picture

Boy, I can't wait to follow this thread.  I've already copied off the roasted red pepper-tomato soup.  But all my favorite things are already known here, because I got them from here.  Mean's apple brine comes to mind, and the stuffing that was cooked in the apple-brined turkey.  Then there is the incredible lemony chicken curry from T&T.  I'll think of more.

bjb0777's picture

i can't find the chicken curry. Please help!! Barb

ICDOCEAN1's picture

One of my favorites and I actually used shrimp one time:

Lemony Chicken Curry With Coriander
From Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking

5-6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Approximately 2-1/2 pounds chicken thighs and/or legs, skinned and seasoned with salt and pepper

2-inch hunk of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

5 cloves garlic, chopped finely

1/2 habanero chile (or to taste), seeded and diced

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon coriander

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

2 bunches cilantro, cleaned, stemmed and finely chopped

2/3 cup water

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Place ginger in bowl of food processor and blend with 1/4 cup water, until pureed.

In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil. When hot, but not smoking, add chicken and brown on both sides, at least 10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.

Add ginger puree and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the stuck bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic, spices and salt. The mixture will become pasty, which is a good thing. Add cilantro and stir. Add water, lemon juice and return chicken to pot.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer, until meat is tender and starting to fall off the bone. This should take about 45 minutes.

While the curry cooks, make some rice to serve with the meal. Feeds approximately four curry fiends

Edited 1/3/2009 8:58 am ET by ICDOCEAN1

SallyBR1's picture

That's the one I was talking abouT!!!! Thanks for posting, I guess great minds eat alike

ICDOCEAN1's picture

I love that recipe!  I am in Idaho and this just might be on the menu one night this weekend as the weather is perfect for it and such big flavor! 

I have a ton of broccoli to use up and thought that I might make that as a side dish. 

Somewhere is a garlicky broccoli salad that someone posted and DD wants to try it, but it might be too much as a salad with the curry.  DSIL says go big, go bold or go home.  We all have one stage of a cold or creepy crud and crave spicy foods at the moment.

Recipe: Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad

Time: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour marinating

1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste

2 heads broccoli, 1 pound each, cut into bite-size florets

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (use less)

4 fat garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

2 teaspoons roasted (Asian) sesame oil

Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes.

1. In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and toss to combine.

2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot, but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sesame oil and pepper flakes. Pour mixture over broccoli and toss well. Let sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature, and up to 48 (chill it if you want to keep it for more than 2 hours). Adjust seasonings (it may need more salt) and serve.

bjb0777's picture

thanks so much!! It sounds great..also broccoli salad. It is cold here in Toronto and a curry will just hit the spot! barb

bonnieruth's picture

It is called lemony chicken curry with coriander. I thought it was going into T&T, but maybe I was wrong. I can post it for you but have to get home and get it first. I know it is referenced on a thread here, but I don't know what the thread was titled.

Edited to add: Oops, now I see it has already been posted again here. At least three of us thought of it for one of our best dishes. Can't go far wrong with that!

Edited 1/4/2009 3:54 pm ET by bonnieruth

Adele's picture

My favorite is the green beans with tomatoes that CookieMonster wrote about.  I know I've made it many, many times this year.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

CookiM0nster's picture

I'm glad to know you like it!

Heather's picture

Can you post or link to it please?
I tried to search but got nothing on "green beans" from you.

Edited 1/5/2009 10:58 am by Heather

schnitzel's picture

I searched for "beans and tomatoes" from CookiM0nster and found this: http://forums.taunton.com/tp-cookstalk/messages?msg=37116.2

Heather's picture

I had no doubt you could find it. Thank you!

schnitzel's picture
Heather's picture

I'm thinking. . .but it is going to be hard to limit this to one.

FL.Cook's picture

Why limit it to one?

Carole
teebee's picture

"Why limit it to one?"

So that we don't all kill ourselves making all of these "best recipes!!" LOL

Okay, so that may be a little drastic. But I could see myself putting off everything else to try all of these recipes!

FL.Cook's picture

I have spent all day waiting for the plumber, so I could have made a lot of them, except I'm on this **** computer!!!!

Carole
soupereasy's picture

Made many wonderful things this year. Most recent recipe I was really impressed with, Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies.

I am not really a sweet eater but I thought these were really good, as did the many I served them to.

Recipe came from a blog someone posted here. So OP better 'fess up. No way I could find it again. I bet this would be in T&T if a couple people made it!:)

Rae's picture

I love those cookies. I posted the recipe from Smittenkitchen blog. I'm so glad you tried them. My all time favorite cookie
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/05/crispy-salted-oatmeal-white-chocolate-cookies/

Edited 1/2/2009 5:23 pm by Rae

Marie Louise's picture

I cooked lots of things I loved in 2008, but I'd have to say the salad dressings w/ tahini from Mediterranean Fresh were the biggest revelations. Thanks again for showing me that book!

Heather's picture

You are welcome. That Goldstein book is full of delicious things.

As for ONE of my favorites from 2008, I made the Turmeric Potatoes again last night from How to Eat Supper and was reminded how simple and delicious a dish that is. Timing was weird for dinner because we had all eaten a large lunch at 3:30, people were packing to leave, etc. I made the potatoes and they happily sat and waited until we were all ready to sit down. The potatoes are almost as comforting as scalloped potatoes without any of the fuss.

Marie Louise's picture

I want to try these soon. Maybe tonight. What have you served them with? Do they taste Indian, or are they just yellow?

Heather's picture

They don't taste Indian at all, the turmeric just gives them a nice color. They are good with simple grilled meats, roast chicken, etc.

nutcakes's picture

boy, will you all would post or link the recipes for those of us who haven't seen them?

How about the pork loin in yogurt and peanut butter that Sally mentioned? That sounds *really* different!

And the thing that Marie-Louise mentioned-- tahini salad dressing was it? that sounds so appetizing to me.

Edited 1/3/2009 6:31 pm ET by nutcakes

sally ryan's picture

The coq au vin looks great but that's a lot of wine.  It seems extravagant unless you own your own vineyard!  In Canada, our alcohol is quite heavily taxed so we're probably talking about eighteen dollars or so for the wine alone.

I would really like to try it anyway if I can get over my cheaposity!

ICDOCEAN1's picture

This version of Coq Au Vin with cocoa powder : http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/Chicken/COQ_AU_VIN.html

That is a great recipe...save it for a special occasion as it is well worth it!  Do you ever finds a sale on wines?  Are your local vineyard wines just as expensive?

sally ryan's picture

Not really too many sales on wine, as alcohol sales are gov't controlled.  I think next time I am having guests, I'll just splurge and do it anyway.  Sounds like a great winter meal.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Here is an idea...Have your guests bring wine!  We do that most of the time since many are not cooks and want to contribute to the dining festivities without cooking. 

I don't mind because dinner is always planned and it only becomes confusing with too many contributions of food.

sally ryan's picture

I like that idea!

SallyBR1's picture

Grilled Asian Pork Tenderloin with Peanut Sauce
by Pamela Anderson

Serves four to five.
ingredients
1 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, preferably a natural variety
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
2 large cloves garlic, minced (2-1/2 tsp.)
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 small pork tenderloins (about 2 lb. total)
Vegetable oil for the grill
how to make

In a large bowl, whisk the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, and coriander to make a smooth sauce.

Trim the pork of excess fat and silverskin. Butterfly the tenderloins by splitting each one lengthwise almost but not quite all the way through, so the halves remain attached.

Open each tenderloin like a book, cover with plastic wrap, and pound to an even 1/2-inch thickness with a meat mallet or the bottom of a small skillet. Put the pork tenderloins in the bowl with the marinade and turn to coat. Let marinate for 10 to 20 minutes (or up to several hours in the refrigerator).

While the pork marinates, heat a gas grill with all burners on high. Clean and oil the grate. Remove the tenderloins from the marinade, letting excess marinade drip back into the bowl (don’t discard the marinade). Grill the tenderloins, covered, turning once, until just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total (cut into one to check). Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the marinade into a small saucepan and add 2 Tbs. water; bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. If the sauce seems too thick, thin it with 1 or 2 tsp. water. Slice the pork and serve with the sauce on the side.
serving suggestions:
Serve with steamed jasmine or short-grain rice and stir-fried spinach or snow peas.
From Fine Cooking 86, pp. 78a
June 1, 2007

photo: Scott Phillips