NEW! Google Custom Search

Jam for Gifts

Cooking Mom's picture

This is hands down my most favorite, and most requested jam. You should be able to find peaches, or use canned ones (rinse the syrup off first).

Peach Raspberry Amaretto Jam

3 cups finely chopped peeled peaches
1 1/2 cups raspberries
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 pouches liquid pectin
1/4 cup Amaretto liqueur

Measure peaches, raspberries and sugar into a Dutch oven. Let stand 10 minutes. Add lemon juice. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. Boil one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in liquid pectin. Skim off foam. Stir in Amaretto.

Ladles into hot jars; seal. Process for 10 minutes.

This is the original recipe from a local newspaper. I have made it with as little as 5 cups of sugar, but 6 – 6 ½ cups I think is better. If the peaches aren’t chopped small enough, they’ll float to the top of the jar. This is my MOST favorite jam, and has been the reason several people I know learned to make jam!

hsnow73's picture

I'm gonna try this.  Are the results equally good using canned peaches?

MadMom's picture

No expert, but it sounds like frozen peach slices would be even better than canned ones.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Gretchen's picture

No, and I've never made it. Use frozen

Gretchen

Gretchen
hsnow73's picture

Good idea!  I'm drawn to this recipe because of the liqueur.  I have a weakness for alcohol and espresso.

Edit:  That didn't sound too good.  I mean I like it in recipes.

Edited 11/1/2007 4:16 pm ET by hsnow73

Edited 11/1/2007 4:16 pm ET by hsnow73

Cooking Mom's picture

I've only used fresh peaches (and frozen raspberries), but I would defer to those who may know better. Would frozen make it more runny? I think flavor is what matters - if frozen taste better, go with that. I've never seen frozen peaches here.

Let us know how it goes!

Gretchen's picture

My reason for saying no to canned is that they have already been cooked in the canning process and have a terrible texture.

Gretchen

Gretchen
annieqst's picture

I hate showing my ignorance, but I've never seen liquid pectin, only dry. Would it make a difference? What brand do you use?

Gretchen's picture

Yes, for pepper jelly you need the liquid. It's name is Certo and is in a box with 2 pouches. I am sure it is where your dry pectin is.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Risottogirl's picture

I had a hard time finding the liquid pectin around here last year. Not sure why, I thought it was fairly common.

What is the shelf life? I didn't use the 2 or 3 boxes I bought last year. They are unopened.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Gretchen's picture

It does have a shelf life but I know not what. I opened a package that I had had a LONG time and it was dry--or something.  I am sure a year or two isn't a problem.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Cooking Mom's picture

If you can't find liquid pectin, here's a recipe to make it:

Combine 1 box powdered pectin and 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil; boil one minute. This makes the equivalent of one pouch of liquid pectin.

The recipe was from the same test kitchen/newspaper listing the recipe. I've doubled it for the recipe - it worked fine.

Good luck!

Jean's picture

Good to know.  Thank you.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Risottogirl's picture

Well that's handy. Thanks!

Gretchen's picture

Yes, and possibly less expensive. Pectin has REALLY gone up in price and Certo especially.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Adele's picture

When I think of when I went from store to store searching for liquid and I could of made it myself.  grumble grumble.   Thanks so much for sharing.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!