NEW! Google Custom Search

Trader Joes is open!!

pamilyn's picture

Just opened yesterday. Whooo Hoooo. Can't wait to try the greek style yogurt. I want to compare it to my farmers market yogurt. The cheese department was just full of yummy wiscosnin cheese, some of which are hard to find in the regular stores. Should be a good adventure. Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

mer's picture

A new one in Atlanta opened yesterday too. What a day for TJ!

cookie1's picture

I know that a Trader Joes will be opening on corner of Johnson Ferry and Roswell Road in Marietta, but where's the Atlanta location?

Cheryl

It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice!

Cheryl

mer's picture

The roswell store is the one I am talking about. The true Atlanta stores haven't opened yet.
635 Crossville Road
Roswell, GA 30075
Phone: 770-645-8505
Store Hours: 9 am - 9 pm

cookie1's picture

Thanks for the address. I may go to browse before the one closer to me opens.

Cheryl

Cheryl

mer's picture

go! :)

cookie1's picture

I most definitely will go. I've been anticipating the opening and hope that I won't be disappointed.

Cheryl

Cheryl

mer's picture

I love TJ, but it isn't Neiman Marcus or anything. They have lovely food, are very particular about trans fats etc and they have great prices. You will not recognize many items in their stores because many of their things are their own private label. Their private label is excellent. They have great prices and are very down to earth. But don't go in there expecting that you will "get it" necessarily the minute that you walk in the door. It is the kind of place that grows on you and if you have been without your TJ, you really really really miss it. But if it is the first time you walk in and you see the rather minimal decor, a first impression can be rather hit or miss.

On Sunday, when I was desperately grabbing for the Total greek yogurt with the honey, which I LOVE, I overheard this guy who was surrounded by other rabid shoppers say, "You know, I just don't get it." I wanted to take him by the arm and point out all the gems hidden around the store, but I kind of knew from the rough decor and all of the brands and products that he didn't recognise, that it does take a bit to register what it is that they have there.

cookie1's picture

I prefer to just browse when I think that I may be overwhelmed. It allows me to get familar with products. If I see something that I must have then I will purchase it. I just like knowing that items are available whenever I have a need.  

Cheryl

Cheryl

CulinaryArtist's picture

I've actually driven 25 miles to one for an ingredient that I wanted and still cannot leave without spending $100 or more!!  No matter how good I say I'm going to be.....!

Jimbo the TRAVELING CULINARY ARTIST

http//:www.travelingculinaryartist.com

pamilyn's picture

I just finished eating one of their "Rice bowls" I was very underwhelmed. I am starting to figure out that TJ is good for certain basic things. All the produce is bagged which turned me off. The meat looked horrible. The guy up front told me they had a lot of Wisconsin cheese. They didn't. All the cheese was mass made stuff. I have had a couple of frozen dinner type things that I wanted to try for work lunches. I am going back to my homemade soup for lunch. I love the prices on dried fruits, nuts, pastas, oils, vinegar, wine, and various fun condimenty things, and fish. I don't think I will buy any pre-made things any more. Sure is fun to have it here though. Pamilyn

Aberwacky's picture

I think the stuff you mentioned (nuts, etc.) are the best things at TJs. 

Sigh.  I miss my random TJ's access from my travels.  At least I'll be hitting a Penzey's and Costco next month when I go to Memphis to see Grandma for her 102nd birthday.

Leigh

Cooking is messy.  Deal with it or stay out of the kitchen.

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
Risottogirl's picture

All the produce is bagged which turned me off. The meat looked horrible.

Having shoped in numerous TJs in on both coasts, I'd say this varies considerably.

There was little produce at the CA locations where I most frequently shopped and it was terrible(of course great produce abounds and Farmers Markets are year round in CA). I don't recall any meat except for frozen.

In MA, some locations have local fruit and herbs. The angus steaks are not bad at all and they carry Niman pork.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor

Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

DeannaS's picture

We feel pretty much the same way. We stopped there yesterday. We did pick up some grilled lemon pepper chicken. It was the demo item and tasted pretty good. It's no better than what we can get at Jenny Street, for less money. But, since it's pre-grilled, it was a shortcut way to get dinner on the table - paired it with some green beans and couscous. A lot of what T.J.'s stocks are convenience foods. We don't eat a lot of convenience foods, so a lot of it isn't relevant for us. They do have chevre cheaper than Woodmans, and I picked up a small container of the greek yogurt to see what the fuss is about that.

Soren's new favoritist thing in the word is the freeze-dried mangosteens. (Aaron and I can pass on those - but the kid looooooves dried fruit. It reminds me of jackfruit, which our neighbor brings back from Taiwan for him, but which we have a hard time finding here.)

We bought 2 of their chocolate bars (the 73% and the dark chocolate truffle) and I didn't like either.

We also bought a loaf of bread - $1.99 for bread without HFCS? - unheard of! I haven't tasted it yet, though. Also untasted are the green garbanzo beans - but I'm excited to try those.

So, it won't become our main shopping venue, but it's good for those things we love about T.J's. And, of course, we bought a bag of the peanut butter pretzels. ;)

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." - Joan Dye Gussow

schnitzel's picture

Would you believe I've never been to a TJ's? Nearest one is about 20 miles away. Guess I should just go and see for myself.

Wolvie's picture

schnitz, I'm thinking you will agree with Pamilyn, but it is worth a trip. Do a mid week not end of day or lunch time - I hate the crowds at those times - too much too close, if you get my drift. :-)

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers

Regality's picture

Oh so good to find a kindred spirit.  Several years ago they closed our within-walking-distance, very small, very basic Albertson's (where it was so easy to dash in, grab the staples, pay, and dash out), and made it into a TJ's.  I keep wandering the TJ aisles trying to find something other than the Greek Yogurt that I like better, or even as well as the regular grocery store, now several miles down the road, or Costco, and I still remain, as you said, "underwhelmed."

“For me, patriotism is the love of one’s country, while nationalism is the hatred of other peoples.”–Dmitri Likhachev

http://regality3.livejournal.com/profile

TracyK's picture

The thing about Trader Joes is that you can't expect it to be anything like (or any kind of substitute for) a regular grocery store, or you're bound to be disappointed. It's a niche-market store.

But their selection of stuff like oils, vinegars, nuts, dried fruit, wine, etc. is great, and the quality is top-notch. And the prices are cheaper than most regular stores. And there are things I get there that simply don't exist anywhere else.

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

shoechick's picture

Exactly!!!  It's not  replacement for your regular grocery store, but their specialty stuff is awesome.  Walnut oil for $2.99, I pay like $15 up here.  I LOVE TRADER  JOES!!!!  We're totally addicted to their sun-dried tomato bruscetta, we add it to everything.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change your life....

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

TracyK's picture

I made a divine app with that stuff for a party once... mixed softened goat cheese with pesto to tase, then spread it on those crostini toast things (the ones that come in a big bag) and topped with a spoonful of the sun-dried tomato bruschetta. YUM!

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

shoechick's picture

It's so versatile, we saute mushrooms, onions, add a little cream to deglaze and a tablespoon of that, it's amazing on pork, chicken, etc.  I usually add a couple of tablespoons to forcaccia dough....Yum!!! We go through a lot, never mind just taking spoon to jar :)

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change your life....

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

DeannaS's picture

oooo, walnut oil? I missed that. That'll have to go on the next list. I love it but haven't had it in forever, as it goes rancid so quickly and it's so darn expensive.

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." - Joan Dye Gussow

schnitzel's picture

Do you store it in the fridge?

DeannaS's picture

I hadn't been. Should I be? I never store oils in the fridge.

schnitzel's picture

Yup, nut oils, porcini oil, and truffle oil will last much longer in the fridge.

DeannaS's picture

Good to know - when next I get some, it'll go in the fridge.

schnitzel's picture

Good. And I probably should mention that you'll want the oil at room temp when you use it, so take it out of the fridge early enough to warm up. Otherwise, it'll be too solid to pour.

Wolvie's picture

so far, in my prior experiences with East Coast -ish TJ's, I agree with you. I hear that the west coast TJ's is a whole nuther animal, however. Figures. :-)

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers

ICDOCEAN1's picture

The wine, Napa River, is very good at $4.99 a bottle!

cookie1's picture

Dangerous!!! I really will browse and be cautious. I just want to see what is available and useful.

Cheryl

Cheryl

CulinaryArtist's picture

Good Luck!